PJ Fleck on with Paul Allen - 10/30

With the following scale:

1. Double root canal

5. This is taking me away from talking Vikings or Wild

10. I watched the game and had intelligent questions

I'd give PA a 8-9 on this one.
PA sold it well, but maybe he had Gardsy give him the list of questions.
You'll notice none of them followed up on a previous question or added details to something PJ said like "Oh, yeah, that interception was great in how he broke on that ball".

I think the game being on Friday might have helped. Remember, PA is either on a plane for a road game, or doing prep for home games on Saturdays.

Gopher fans have the most unbelievably thin skin when it comes to media coverage. It is, of course, not mutually exclusive to believe that the youth of this team is one of its obstacles to achieving more wins and believing that it is annoying how often PJ brings it up. The post game on KFAN was insane, his answer to every question seemed to invoke youth.

Gopher fans have the most unbelievably thin skin when it comes to media coverage. It is, of course, not mutually exclusive to believe that the youth of this team is one of its obstacles to achieving more wins and believing that it is annoying how often PJ brings it up. The post game on KFAN was insane, his answer to every question seemed to invoke youth.

My point is what can a new generational coach like PJ say about the team when these questions pop up.
Seems like people who are most annoyed with the "young" story would sooner he throw shade at some players so they could then criticize him for calling out a player and not taking the blame himself.

Meanwhile, others will complain that he says "It's all on me" too often.

I think the people who are criticizing the saying the worst "young" too often are thin skinned not understanding that a team doesn't turn old after 8 games.

My issue with the Twin Cities media is that they all seem to have strong opinions on the Gophers without really understanding anything about the team or college football.

I couldn't name more than 5 players on the Twins, so I'm not going to spout off on what their problems were this year.

Likewise, I don't believe anyone other than Justin Gaard could name 5 players on the Gophers roster.

My point is what can a new generational coach like PJ say about the team when these questions pop up.
Seems like people who are most annoyed with the "young" story would sooner he throw shade at some players so they could then criticize him for calling out a player and not taking the blame himself.

Meanwhile, others will complain that he says "It's all on me" too often.

I think the people who are criticizing the saying the worst "young" too often are thin skinned not understanding that a team doesn't turn old after 8 games.

I dont think the team is appreciably older than it was 8 weeks ago, though one of the problems with youth is a lack of big ten game experience which does get a little better for us every week. Id just rather hear him talk about how he can do better with the things he can control than listen to him whine about the things he can't.

Gopher fans have the most unbelievably thin skin when it comes to media coverage.

This. I can’t believe how worked up folks get and how bitter they become when the media doesn’t talk about Gopher Football like they would Motherhood and Apple Pie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see the rhetoric spewed a lot on Gopherhole. I agree he doesn't seem that interested in Gopher football but you have to keep in mind that he makes his money from the Vikings and the NFL in general. He readily admits he barely watches college football. I'm not sure why people expect him to be rah rah ski-u-mah or even want that. It isn't his job. The fact that Fleck gets air time on his show, during the Vikings season, is good. He dominates his key demographics, especially during Vikings season.

There aren't going to be hardcore gopher interviews and fans on major market radio in this area, at least not during the day. Gaard is about the best we'll get. Its just constant complaints from this fan base about the lack of coverage, respect, etc. and until the team deserves it or the fan base is dedicated and large enough, it won't change. KFAN is a business. They do things to make money. They make significantly more money off the Vikings than the do off all gopher sports combined. Why would you expect a business to not stick to the bread and butter?

Why don't they put Fleck on a different air time on KFAN. Have someone who actually watches the gophers and knows sports interview him.

Oh wait, none of those idiots watch sports or know anything about them.

Such a suck station!

Why don't they put Fleck on a different air time on KFAN. Have someone who actually watches the gophers and knows sports interview him.

Oh wait, none of those idiots watch sports or know anything about them.

Such a suck station!

KFAN is overrated in my opinion.

My issue with the Twin Cities media is that they all seem to have strong opinions on the Gophers without really understanding anything about the team or college football.

I couldn't name more than 5 players on the Twins, so I'm not going to spout off on what their problems were this year.

Likewise, I don't believe anyone other than Justin Gaard could name 5 players on the Gophers roster.

I get into this argument with a few friends who think it is the job of (mainly radio hosts) the media to offer up opinions. They don't care if those opinions are backed by actual knowledge or not. Drives me crazy.

Agreed

Context is needed...
He said 2 freshmen stepped up and made game winning plays on offense (Morgan to Bateman) and 2 upper classmen stepped up and made game winning plays on defense (guessing he meant Cashman's 3rd down stop and CC's strip sack).... I'm guessing FTF was just typing as fast as he could!

This is the context to what Coach Fleck said on the PA show.

On Gopher Football Weekly, PJ said he received emails from grown ups complaining about the Anthracite jerseys and the gold helmets.

Some fans aren't happy with the shade of gold.

I do not like the Anthracite jersey's and pants as a home worn game jersey combo. I would much rather see us wear these on the road as they did against Iowa last year. For me it makes much more sense to wear an alternate jersey uniform combo on the road, and wear the school colors at home. Just my opinion, if the students like them and the players seem to then I do not have an issue with them wearing them, just wish they would choose to do so on the road.
I am a fan of the Gold helmets, really like the blast to the past for the 90's and further back.

I do not like the Anthracite jersey's and pants as a home worn game jersey combo. For me it makes much more sense to wear an alternate jersey uniform combo on the road, and wear the school colors at home.

I like this idea.

Your thinking would be wrong.

The “young” has been said to the point it’s lost any real meaning.

It’s time for Fleck to come up with some new material.

#1 in their key demographics from 5:30am-6:30pm...so your opinion seems unpopular.

My opinion is they aren't talking sports from 5:30am-6:30........so as a sports fan, I couldn't give two schits!

Also, it's the twin cities............what is the possible competition? LMAO

Also, it's the twin cities............what is the possible competition? LMAO

So, you LYAO at being #1 in their key demographics? Makes me wonder what they could possibly do to impress you - or at least force you to keep a straight face.

So, you LYAO at being #1 in their key demographics? Makes me wonder what they could possibly do to impress you - or at least force you to keep a straight face.

talk sports?

talk sports?

Sports sports sports. If you love sports so much then you should eat the sports page. Crumple it up and eat it. They don’t care that much about sports - and you aren’t gonna make them change.

Sports sports sports. If you love sports so much then you should eat the sports page. Crumple it up and eat it. They don’t care that much about sports - and you aren’t gonna make them change.

You are using their line! Seriously?

5:30- 9:00 farts and giggles, comparing dicks

9:00-12:00 a 50 some year old trying to act 19

12:00-3:00 comedy hour....to top it off, really doesn't watch sports

3:00-6:00 political talk, and when it's sports talk(the twins suck, the wild suck, etc...well no schit)........25% chance that idiot is talking sports if I tune in

The only time I know they will be talking sports is saturday morning at 8:00am..........and he'll be talking packers! again, LMAO

What a schit station, unless you like anything other than sports!

5:30- 9:00 gay innuendo, Meatsauce playing laugh-track of Rosen whenever someone died.

9:00-12:00 a 50 some year old trying to bag 19 year olds

12:00-3:00 reads user-submitted jokes for three hours

3:00-6:00 political talk, and highly skeptical Minnesota sports talk. The only time he isn't snarky is when talking about and Indiana U team or a Chicago team.
One hour a week worth listening to is Glen Mason

!

FIFY

You are using their line! Seriously?

5:30- 9:00 farts and giggles, comparing dicks

9:00-12:00 a 50 some year old trying to act 19

12:00-3:00 comedy hour....to top it off, really doesn't watch sports

3:00-6:00 political talk, and when it's sports talk(the twins suck, the wild suck, etc...well no schit)........25% chance that idiot is talking sports if I tune in

The only time I know they will be talking sports is saturday morning at 8:00am..........and he'll be talking packers! again, LMAO

What a schit station, unless you like anything other than sports!

This bit is insanely idiotic. Every single show talks sports - a lot. Literally all that Paul Allen talks about is sports because he knows nothing else.

This bit is insanely idiotic. Every single show talks sports - a lot. Literally all that Paul Allen talks about is sports because he knows nothing else.

Agree, every show with the exception of PA will delve into other topics to fill time but they all spend quite a bit of time on sports. The Power Trip is probably the lightest on sports in the morning but it certainly doesn't bother me as they are entertaining to listen to. PA will talk nothing but sports for his entire time, Common will discuss the big sports topics of the day while also delving into his golf game and other recycled bits (not a huge fan of him but I know lots of people love his schtick). Barrerio will talk politics and other things but he will also spend lots of time on sports if there is a topic worth discussing. He won't break down the third string LB or do a deep dive into every detail of the game but he definitely spends a fair amount of time on the local sports scene.

It certainly isn't an ESPN station where they talk nothing but sports and go into excruciating detail about things but to say the station doesn't talk sports a lot of the time is just incorrect.

Barreiro makes a fool of himself every time he veers away from sports. Sometimes when he talks about sports, too.

JTG

Top Bottom