New Pitino blog: Scrimmage Wrap-Up

Cayman

Reaction score
It's been a few hours, I figured someone else would have posted this by now, but there's a new blog entry out after the secret scrimmage with Creighton and the public maroon/gold scrimmage at the Barn.

"Below is a breakdown of where I think we stand after our Creighton and Maroon/Gold scrimmage. Lots of positives and negatives of course. We have a long way to go but I still see a lot of good things! Keep in mind both the Creighton and Maroon/Gold scrimmages aren't truly an indicator but we can still get some good information and data from it. The one thing I always try to do when evaluating our team is be truthful. My grades are pretty low right now. That's okay, we will get better. Seven new guys and another surgery to Eric Curry means it's going to take some time."

https://gophersports.com/news/2018/10/29/mens-basketball-pitino-blog-scrimmage-wrap-up.aspx

He says "We are optimistic that we will receive good news" with regard to Marcus Carr's waiver. Weird to think he could potentially be approved, but not until after the season starts.

A few highlights:

Gabe Kalscheur - Has been a pleasant surprise. Gabe is all business on the court and it shows. Was terrific vs. Creighton. Very physical for a freshman. Has to stay out of foul trouble. More than just a shooter.

Isaiah Washington - Improving on offense. Really advances the ball well up the court. Has to work on turnovers and shot selection. Love when he's attacking downhill to the rim. I can definitely see progress. Defensively he still has a long way to go.

Jarvis Omersa - Plays so hard! Love how physical he is. Jarvis has amazing leadership qualities on the court. He can really make a difference in that category. Future is very bright.

Daniel Oturu - Very good in both games. Very efficient on the block. Has to sprint the court more. Love his timing when he blocks shots. Going to be thrust into a bigger role while Eric is out. We need him to be ready!

Go Gophers!!

Brock Stull - Still getting back in game shape and learning the system. Every rep in practice is important for Brock. Very good shot fake and passer. Smart player! Has to be patient offensively and trust it will come.
A shorter version of Joey King? "Very good shot fake."

I don't know how many coaches do this but I really appreciate that Pitino shares this with the fans. They seem like honest and constructive takes on all of the players.

I also think it's a good sign that our two best players are the two hardest workers on the team. Or maybe it's self-fulfilling that they became the best due to their work ethic.

All in all, I think this will be a really fun team to watch but it can fall apart very quickly if we lose another player or two (including Curry).

Top Bottom