Maybe Our RB Talent is Sneaky Good

Urbandale

Reaction score
When was the last season in which four different Gopher running backs each rushed for more than 140 yards in a game?

Rodney Smith (New Mexico State) - 153
Bryce Williams (Miami) - 141
Mohamed Ibrahim (Ohio State) - 157
Shannon Brooks (Indiana) - 154

And to think all 4 could be back next year...

When was the last season in which four different Gopher running backs each rushed for more than 140 yards in a game?

I don't think it has ever happened.

There are a lot of things happening at the U related to football that hasn't happened before.

First time we've had two freshman of the week probably.

It's really an exciting time to start watching the journey of Golden Gopher Football.
I'm excited.

I don't think it has ever happened.

There are a lot of things happening at the U related to football that hasn't happened before.

First time we've had two freshman of the week probably.

It's really an exciting time to start watching the journey of Golden Gopher Football.
I'm excited.

agreed

Last edited:

And then there is PJ's comment from the presser where this was just discussed. He just wanted one of the four available to play now.

How good and how committed is Jason Williamson from Owatonna?

Can we put them all in the backfield next year and have the center hike it to whomever?

Sadly, my man Femi-Cole is nowhere to be found on that list. I was always high on him. Clearly, I was the only one.

Is he even likely to stay at RB in college? Thought I heard he was a likely candidate to switch to safety or LB.

Your guess is as good as mine. But with the Madden Football like stats he's putting up in the playoffs, PJ and KC will give him a look at RB for sure.

Your guess is as good as mine. But with the Madden Football like stats he's putting up in the playoffs, PJ and KC will give him a look at RB for sure.

I mean come on....30 carries for 441 yards and 8 TDs is nothing.....

No telling where he will end up position wise in college but seems to have good vision and balance. Might question his coaches a little still feeding him the ball in a 54-0 blowout but don't know much about his team.

We do have a nice group of running backs and i would like to see one added maybe in the 2020 class with take it to the house speed (a la Ty Johnson at Maryland)

Last edited:

I mean come on....30 carries for 441 yards and 8 TDs is nothing.....

No telling where he will end up position wise in college but seems to have good vision and balance. Might question his coaches a little still feeding him the ball in a 54-0 blowout but don't know much about his team.

Haven't seen any of the games, but it makes you curious what's happening.
Is he breaking 3 tackles on every run?
Does he have holes that you could drive a truck through where he never gets touched?
Is he just out-running people?

Not to knock any of the other backs, I just wish we had some that took hits like Shannon abit more. He seemed to gain power from getting hit at times, other guys not so much.

Sadly, my man Femi-Cole is nowhere to be found on that list. I was always high on him. Clearly, I was the only one.

I am in the Femi-Cole club as well. Not sure why he hasn’t broken into the mix more?

It is hard to judge how good Jason Williamson will be at the next level where everyone else is bigger and faster than what he faces in high school.

It appears that he is gang busters above HS defenses and also appears to have good instincts.

Does anybody know what his 40 time is?

Not to take anything away from him but that defense looked...bad. What are boots on the ground saying about this guy - Power 5 running back or defensive player?

Yep. Owatonna's line did a great job of creating running lanes. The pancake stiff arm JW put on the Mayo defender looked pretty impressive though.

It is hard to judge how good Jason Williamson will be at the next level where everyone else is bigger and faster than what he faces in high school.

It appears that he is gang busters above HS defenses and also appears to have good instincts.

Does anybody know what his 40 time is?

Hand timed or electronic?

Yep. Owatonna's line did a great job of creating running lanes. The pancake stiff arm JW put on the Mayo defender looked pretty impressive though.

Yeah I have no idea how people evaluate these things as ... as you said dude just runs untouched for a long ways in a lot of these.

How much does hand vs electronic time matter anyway? I think if he is an instinctive patience runner who waits for his blockers or who can bust with sheer speed it does not matter to me.

He just need to make people miss and play hard enough that he becomes a threat that will occupy defenses so that other play options open up.

I think coaches look for certain things other than raw talent which he obviously has. Otherwise, PJ Fleck wouldn't have offered so quickly. Other traits and attributes like leadership qualities, the burning desire to succeed, character, attitude, etc... are equally important.

Then there are kids like Logan Richter that will make coaches fall out of their seats when they see them pass by. You offer him on the spot and you develop him. He passes the eye test immediately.

Some players highly rated or not may be busts. Then, there are players who are late bloomers who end up as pleasant surprises.

How much does hand vs electronic time matter anyway? I think if he is an instinctive patience runner who waits for his blockers or who can bust with sheer speed it does not matter to me.

He just need to make people miss and play hard enough that he becomes a threat that will occupy defenses so that other play options open up.

I think coaches look for certain things other than raw talent which he obviously has. Otherwise, PJ Fleck wouldn't have offered so quickly. Other traits and attributes like leadership qualities, the burning desire to succeed, character, attitude, etc... are equally important.

Then there are kids like Logan Richter that will make coaches fall out of their seats when they see them pass by. You offer him on the spot and you develop him. He passes the eye test immediately.

Some players highly rated or not may be busts. Then, there are players who are late bloomers who end up as pleasant surprises.

Running joke. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Figure the last time we had that level of consistency in the run game has to be the years with Maroney, Barber, Tapeh and Russell. 2012-2014 was pretty good, too, with Kirkwood, Williams and Cobb, but Cobb did most of the work in that period. Right now I really like what the team has to work with. The rookies still have plenty to learn but have played well and there's no question about the talents from Smith and Brooks.

Looking ahead to next season

With Smith and Brooks coming back next year as Seniors and Ibrahim being a sophomore, what do you think the chances are we will try and use Williams in only 4 games to redshirt him?

The way he runs, he looks like a linebacker / safety prospect.

He's 6'1" so he would be a big back if he adds weight.

That catch down the middle of the field was the most impressive play I saw on the film. He is obviously a very good athlete, if he has the closing speed he would make a nasty safety.

Top Bottom