Illinois is a playoff game!

A_Slab_of_Bacon

Reaction score
It appears that the loser of the MN / Illinois game will be eliminated from B1G West championship contention....

Playoffs!

This may be controversial but I don't see either of these teams winning the CFP

Even though this might have been a great year to do it, winning the West should not be the focus for this team, at least right now.

It’s gotta be to beat Illinois and then figure out how to beg,barrow,steal one more win in the last three.

It appears that the loser of the MN / Illinois game will be eliminated from B1G West championship contention....

Playoffs!

Let's face it. Illinois has to be thinking we are their best chance at a BigTen Win. Fleck better have the troups ready! As we all know, no BigTen road game is an easy game.

This may be controversial but I don't see either of these teams winning the CFP

Please take that negative nancy attitude somewhere else please. Personally I'm hoping all of college football ends with all teams 6-6 this year. I know some teams have more than 6 wins already, but maybe they played with ineligible players.

Let's face it. Illinois has to be thinking we are their best chance at a BigTen Win. Fleck better have the troups ready! As we all know, no BigTen road game is an easy game.

I've often wondered if that has an impact.

Even though this might have been a great year to do it, <b>winning the West should not be the focus for this team, at least right now.</b>

It’s gotta be to beat Illinois and then figure out how to beg,barrow,steal one more win in the last three.

You’re worried that is the team’s focus?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No negative Nancy here, but I hope we don't see a repeat of the 2014 tilt in Champaign when we slept through the first half and let Riley O'Toole run us roughshod, take a second half lead, and then lose when a Cobb fumble is returned for a late TD that ends up being the game-winner for the Illini. Like others have said, road games are a challenge and I hope Fleck has them ready to go.

No negative Nancy here, but I hope we don't see a repeat of the 2014 tilt in Champaign when we slept through the first half and let Riley O'Toole run us roughshod, take a second half lead, and then lose when a Cobb fumble is returned for a late TD that ends up being the game-winner for the Illini. Like others have said, road games are a challenge and I hope Fleck has them ready to go.

I don't feel like we've slept on anyone this year.... we just have gotten beat down a few times.

If you listen to PJ, this week is all about the Illinois season.
The Indiana Season is over and we finished it 1-0.

Now we are playing the Illinois season of our schedule. We hope to finish the Illinois season 1-0.

If you listen to PJ, this week is all about the Illinois season.
The Indiana Season is over and we finished it 1-0.

Now we are playing the Illinois season of our schedule. We hope to finish the Illinois season 1-0.

I've never heard PJ speak in those terms, and I thank God for that.

James Franklin spouts that crap every week and it's beyond irritating

I've never heard PJ speak in those terms, and I thank God for that.

James Franklin spouts that crap every week and it's beyond irritating

Well Franklin also took the ball out of his star QB's hands and handed it off into oblivion vs Ohio St... like wtf. I think we can be sure that guy is just a bit "off".

Well Franklin also took the ball out of his star QB's hands and handed it off into oblivion vs Ohio St... like wtf. I think we can be sure that guy is just a bit "off".

It was a perplexing call, until you dig just a little deeper. The Ohio St D-end had been coming hard up the field all game, which left a nice gap for McSorley to run through for most of the game. On that particular play, McSorley read his keys and the D-end stayed home which left him no choice than to hand the ball off. All that being said, I liked his chances better in a drop back situation and just using his legs to scramble if needed.

I don't feel like we've slept on anyone this year.... we just have gotten beat down a few times.

I know we all talk about the higher profile heartbreaking losses, but that loss to Illinois in 2014 was just such a downer to me. I agree that Fleck usually has teams ready to play with the possible exception of the Nebraska game.

It was a perplexing call, until you dig just a little deeper. The Ohio St D-end had been coming hard up the field all game, which left a nice gap for McSorley to run through for most of the game. On that particular play, McSorley read his keys and the D-end stayed home which left him no choice than to hand the ball off. All that being said, I liked his chances better in a drop back situation and just using his legs to scramble if needed.

You can talk yourself into calling any play... he had a great player give the ball to a guy who hadn't performed well... just crazy.

Per Reddit CFB: Minnesota’s Road to Big Ten West Title

Some of you may have noticed, when reading up on the nationally relevant Big Ten West, that Minnesota is technically not eliminated, despite being 1-4 in conference and winless in their division. Minnesota will win the west in this scenario (FPI win probabilities):

Minnesota beats Illinois (70.4%)

Purdue beats Iowa (47.4%)

Minnesota beats Purdue (29.0%)

Iowa beats Northwestern (79.1%)

Minnesota beats Northwestern (41.6%)

Illinois beats Iowa (7.2%)

Illinois beats Northwestern (10.0%)

Nebraska beats Iowa (10.8%)

Minnesota beats Wisconsin (15.7%)

and:

Wisconsin loses another game (vs Rutgers (3.3%), @ Penn State(78.9%), @ Purdue(55.6%))

Purdue loses another game (vs Wisconsin(44.4%), @ Indiana(72.2%))

This ends with the standings being:

Minnesota 5-4

Northwestern 5-4

Purdue 5-4 OR 4-5

Wisconsin 5-4 OR 4-5 OR 3-6

Nebraska 5-4 OR 4-5 OR 3-6 OR 2-7

Illinois 5-4 OR 4-5 OR 3-6

Iowa 4-5

The first B1G tiebreaker when three or more teams are tied is record among tied teams, in this scenario Minnesota has wins over every 5-4 team UNLESS Nebraska wins out (lol) (OSU, @MSU, Iowa, @Illinois). In this case, Minnesota, Nebraska, and Northwestern are all tied at 5-4. Each team has a 1-1 record against the others, so division records are compared:

Minnesota 4-2

Northwestern 3-3

Nebraska 3-3

So Minnesota still wins the division. If Wisconsin or Purdue also finishes at 5-4 in this scenario, Minnesota wins by record among tied teams.

Obviously, this is far fetched, but how far-fetched is it?

There is a 0.000389% chance Minnesota wins out, Northwestern loses out, and Iowa loses out except for beating Northwestern. There is a 90.9% chance Wisconsin drops another game, and 84.5% chance Purdue drops another game. So, let's get to the main event.

WILL MINNESOTA WIN THE BIG TEN WEST??

There is a 0.000299% chance, according to FPI. So the answer is, maybe.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comme...the_big_ten_if_these/?st=JNW98P00&sh=1241bd88

Per Reddit CFB: Minnesota’s Road to Big Ten West Title

Some of you may have noticed, when reading up on the nationally relevant Big Ten West, that Minnesota is technically not eliminated, despite being 1-4 in conference and winless in their division. Minnesota will win the west in this scenario (FPI win probabilities):

Minnesota beats Illinois (70.4%)

Purdue beats Iowa (47.4%)

Minnesota beats Purdue (29.0%)

Iowa beats Northwestern (79.1%)

Minnesota beats Northwestern (41.6%)

Illinois beats Iowa (7.2%)

Illinois beats Northwestern (10.0%)

Nebraska beats Iowa (10.8%)

Minnesota beats Wisconsin (15.7%)

and:

Wisconsin loses another game (vs Rutgers (3.3%), @ Penn State(78.9%), @ Purdue(55.6%))

Purdue loses another game (vs Wisconsin(44.4%), @ Indiana(72.2%))

This ends with the standings being:

Minnesota 5-4

Northwestern 5-4

Purdue 5-4 OR 4-5

Wisconsin 5-4 OR 4-5 OR 3-6

Nebraska 5-4 OR 4-5 OR 3-6 OR 2-7

Illinois 5-4 OR 4-5 OR 3-6

Iowa 4-5

The first B1G tiebreaker when three or more teams are tied is record among tied teams, in this scenario Minnesota has wins over every 5-4 team UNLESS Nebraska wins out (lol) (OSU, @MSU, Iowa, @Illinois). In this case, Minnesota, Nebraska, and Northwestern are all tied at 5-4. Each team has a 1-1 record against the others, so division records are compared:

Minnesota 4-2

Northwestern 3-3

Nebraska 3-3

So Minnesota still wins the division. If Wisconsin or Purdue also finishes at 5-4 in this scenario, Minnesota wins by record among tied teams.

Obviously, this is far fetched, but how far-fetched is it?

There is a 0.000389% chance Minnesota wins out, Northwestern loses out, and Iowa loses out except for beating Northwestern. There is a 90.9% chance Wisconsin drops another game, and 84.5% chance Purdue drops another game. So, let's get to the main event.

WILL MINNESOTA WIN THE BIG TEN WEST??

There is a 0.000299% chance, according to FPI. So the answer is, maybe.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comme...the_big_ten_if_these/?st=JNW98P00&sh=1241bd88

Top Bottom