Who's going to Champaign?

WorkingMyTailOff

Reaction score
Anyone here making the trip? Looks like the weather will be decent and hopefully it will be a fun game.

I’m coming down from Chicago as long as the weather looks good that day. Went 2 years ago and recommend it. Should be easy to get good seats for no more than $20.

I’m coming down from Chicago as long as the weather looks good that day. Went 2 years ago and recommend it. Should be easy to get good seats for no more than $20.

Did you tailgate before the game? Is there a bar scene close to the stadium as well?

There will be 3 of us @ the game. There's a large tailgate lot across the street from the stadium. They also have a big tailgate area in front of the stadium called The Grange or something like that. People were actually bringing in charcoal grills - tell me the U would ever allow that! The bar scene is on the northern edge of campus I believe (but I can be directionally challenged when out of state).

Everything I've heard about Champaign is that it is not a fun, big time football atmosphere. It's more a techie town, a lot of foreign grad students who don't care about football, computer science and STEM undergrads who don't care about football, etc. Obviously having a mainly losing program would also affect that. And being only 1.5-2hrs from Chicago, that is the place people go for fun, rather than staying in town.

Hope that those who go down have a great time and let me know if I'm wrong here.

Deer gun opener so wife is gone (she hunts, I do not) so will not be making this trip. Maybe in two years!

Deer gun opener so wife is gone (she hunts, I do not) so will not be making this trip. Maybe in two years!

I will be taking it to the trees this weekend myself... Intend to follow the score as close as I can.

Did you tailgate before the game? Is there a bar scene close to the stadium as well?

No we did not. Drove down that morning for an 11 am kick so wasn’t much time. Most of the tailgate scene appeared to happen in some grassy parking fields near the stadium. Wasn’t real crazy but it was early AM and there was good room to spread out. Not sure about bars I think that was a different direction from the stadium.

It’s not going to be a big time atmosphere - half full at best. But it’s a simple, inexpensive road trip from Chicago that was very pleasant with great weather and a Win in 2016. From the TC it’s probably more hassle than it’s worth.

Drinking is limited to only certain premium seating areas.

Last edited:

Okay thanks!! Wish more of these big ten road trips were in the 4 hour category.

Everything I've heard about Champaign is that it is not a fun, big time football atmosphere. It's more a techie town, a lot of foreign grad students who don't care about football, computer science and STEM undergrads who don't care about football, etc. Obviously having a mainly losing program would also affect that. And being only 1.5-2hrs from Chicago, that is the place people go for fun, rather than staying in town.

Hope that those who go down have a great time and let me know if I'm wrong here.

Yes and no.

As far as the football atmosphere goes, it's pretty meh. They rarely have a good team, the stadium itself is OK but whatever, and it's just not a brilliant gameday environment.

Would give a thumbs up to Champaign itself though, pretty fun college town and bar scene, Illini girls are high quality, etc.

One of my favorite road trips. You don't run into any hostile or unruly fans, tickets are easy to get and you can make a weekend out of it if you want to stay in Chicago. A 230 start is perfect for that. The drive is great especially in the middle of Illinois. It is deserted and flat and you would never guess you are so close to Chicago but it is a relaxing drive.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will be heading over. Still deciding if I am just going to make it a day trip or stay. Every hotel is sold out but considering bringing a camper. Regardless, this will be my third time to Champaign. I have had good luck with a big grass lot just south of Assembly Hall. Lots of room and friendly people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FYI for anyone looking for accommodations- I just canceled two rooms at the Motel 6 in Urbana. Call them up if you're interested.

I scored 4 tickets for $8 each. I'm taking the wife and 2 of our youngest boys. The teenagers will be at a youth retreat so I worked out perfectly.

Hopefully Mohamed Ibrahim, Antonio Shenault, OJ Smith, and ZA.

Do injured players not get to travel to road Big Ten games? That's lame, if true (if that was what you were getting at). Weird thing to be cheap a__ about, when spending eight figures on football per year.

Do injured players not get to travel to road Big Ten games? That's lame, if true (if that was what you were getting at). Weird thing to be cheap a__ about, when spending eight figures on football per year.

Travel roster limit is 74.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fleck has decided to bring a few injured leaders like Winfield and Brooks on the road this year, and I very much doubt that they count against the travel squad. In general injured players to not travel to road games, although I could see Purdue/NW, Wi/ NW or MSU/Mich type games making it easy to bus in a larger traveling party.

Heading to Chicago on Friday. Onto the game Saturday. Wives are staying in th e Windy City. Hope to celebrate a gopher win with some blues at Kingston Mines.l

Heading to Chicago on Friday. Onto the game Saturday. Wives are staying in th e Windy City. Hope to celebrate a gopher win with some blues at Kingston Mines.l

Sounds like a great trip! Have you been to the Green Mill?

What section or part of the stadium is the visiting fan section?

My experience has been that the 108 and 109 sections in the lower SE corener by the "horseshoe" are the general visiting sections.

It is killing me that I cannot hit the road to Illinois in a few hours, but it is not in the cards.

I saw a little video from Youtube that captures the magic of fall colors and Big Ten Campus glory tonight. Nebraska looks pretty good here, at least when a few Gopher fans showed up.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWTvWoHiAeY

Top Bottom