STrib: Gophers football team learns lessons in a bumpy victory over Indiana

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Randy:

The weather wasn’t perfect — 46 and drizzling. The crowd wasn’t, either — 33,273, the fewest ever announced at TCF Bank Stadium. And the football wasn’t always crisp Friday night — the Gophers and Indiana combined for seven turnovers.

In the end, however, the Gophers got what they desperately needed. Their 38-31 victory over the Hoosiers ended a four-game losing streak, took away at least some of the sting of the blowout loss the previous week at Nebraska and provided a tangible result to point to in Big Ten play.

A win over Indiana, of course, won’t be confused with beating Ohio State in the Horseshoe or Michigan at the Big House. And squandering a 31-9 third-quarter lead by coughing up the ball three times in the second half produced that “uh-oh” feeling. Still, when Tanner Morgan connected with Rashod Bateman for a 67-yard touchdown pass with 1:34 left in the fourth quarter, the Gophers (4-4, 1-4 Big Ten) could celebrate.

“Great learning opportunities for our players to be able to take away from. But at the end of the day, they found a way to win,’’ Gophers coach P.J. Fleck said Sunday on his WCCO Radio appearance.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...ns-in-a-bumpy-victory-over-indiana/498847101/

Go Gophers!!

I was pretty happy to stop the bleeding and win a game as an underdog. A B1G victory against a team that people always seem to place above the Gophers in their power rankings. The Gophers managed to do it with a QB making his very first start, and a lineup that was missing some of the biggest pre-season stars. As I watched the game, enjoyed the first three quarters, bit my nails through the last quarter, and enjoyed the outcome - my mind turned to our NFL-first media as I predicted the big storyline wouldn't be the win, it would be the blown lead. Sure enough. Every headline I saw grudgingly mentioned the victory after stating the blown lead.

And, Dan Barriero in particular seems to be doing his best Reusse imitation and is having great fun at poking at the Gopher football faithful. He's kind of made it his thing, as of late.

I long ago got sick of circling the wagons so simply making a note of this stuff is about the extent of my reaction to a very predictable media scene now.

I was pretty happy to stop the bleeding and win a game as an underdog. A B1G victory against a team that people always seem to place above the Gophers in their power rankings. The Gophers managed to do it with a QB making his very first start, and a lineup that was missing some of the biggest pre-season stars. As I watched the game, enjoyed the first three quarters, bit my nails through the last quarter, and enjoyed the outcome - my mind turned to our NFL-first media as I predicted the big storyline wouldn't be the win, it would be the blown lead. Sure enough. Every headline I saw grudgingly mentioned the victory after stating the blown lead.

And, Dan Barriero in particular seems to be doing his best Reusse imitation and is having great fun at poking at the Gopher football faithful. He's kind of made it his thing, as of late.

I long ago got sick of circling the wagons so simply making a note of this stuff is about the extent of my reaction to a very predictable media scene now.

Not many past Gopher teams could have reversed the tide so shockingly like this one did with that stunning haymaker. Just when it seemed that Indiana would get a stop and hit the game-winning field goal or ride their momentum to an overtime win....brilliant and brave play call to take advantage of a crowded box. And what execution! And then the strip sack from a line that had done next-to-nothing all game! These Gophers are clearly flawed but they have enough talent to surprise.

These Gophers are clearly flawed but they have enough talent to surprise.

Well said! And I hope there are more surprises (pleasant ones that is) left in the season.

Sorry G7NTB0...thought the kids represented well Friday all things considered.

Plus, we've already had home games this year where if the percentage of kids in their spot were translated to the entire stadium, then we'd see 48,000 plus.

Student attendance has not been an issue this season IMO.

Might be the chance for the two...count them "two" this year...anonymous donor $1000 scholarships...that's getting them there...hard to know.

I do believe some new long term fans are being created...brick by brick using the previous regime's mantra...

IDK. Watching the game on TV it looked like the entire upper deck was empty and the lower deck wasn't close to half full. Pretty weak AFAIC.

Top Bottom