Fresno State ranked 20th, we are their only loss

I bet they would like to have that game over. I bet we'd like to have Winfield back.

I still have no idea why Fresno ran the offensive gameplan against us that they did but it gave us a win, so I'll take it

Maybe our defense played pretty well in that game? It sure felt like they did while I was watching it live. Plus I like their team and everything, but in the Big Ten wouldn't they be similar to an Indiana or maybe at best a Purdue?

Maybe our defense played pretty well in that game? It sure felt like they did while I was watching it live. Plus I like their team and everything, but in the Big Ten wouldn't they be similar to an Indiana or maybe at best a Purdue?

I was thinking the same thing(s). People from the smaller non-power-five conferences sometimes roll their eyes at the comments made a bout the dog fights and battles of attrition that take place in places like the B1G or the PAC12. But it is true. The number of guys that get nicked up, or downright injured just grow throughout the season once the conference schedules come into play. Being a standout team in a group-of-eight is a team good enough to beat many power conference teams, but they only need to ramp up for those games a time or two per season. It is a little different when that ramp up is every week. Can you imagine how the Gophers would look if they could get a steady diet of New Mexico and San Jose State with only a sprinkling of Northwestern and Maryland?

It’s the second best win any Big Ten team got in non conference behind MD-TX. AWJr is sorely missed. Indiana over Virginia also looks better now that UVA is suddenly ranked.

Gophers wins have come over teams that are a combined 16-18.

That's respectable.

Right.

I have a lot of respect for programs like Boise .. and the last few/couple seasons San Diego St and Fresno St have turned it (back) on.

But would they have the same records playing in the PAC-12 or Big Ten? No. Same argument for the team that wins the American, lately has been Houston or Central Florida. Would they have the same if playing in the ACC or SEC. No.

Right.

I have a lot of respect for programs like Boise .. and the last few/couple seasons San Diego St and Fresno St have turned it (back) on.

But would they have the same records playing in the PAC-12 or Big Ten? No. Same argument for the team that wins the American, lately has been Houston or Central Florida. Would they have the same if playing in the ACC or SEC. No.

we'd be undefeated with NDSU's schedule

This ranking feels inflated. We are their only loss, but we aren't good, and they haven't beaten anyone better than us either.

If Fresno had not just RTUM ove rand over... I think they would have beaten us.

It’s the second best win any Big Ten team got in non conference behind MD-TX.

Michigan State over Utah State also looking pretty solid.

And do we really know whether Texas is any better than Fresno State and/or Utah State?

If Fresno had not just RTUM ove rand over... I think they would have beaten us.

This is the crux of my earlier post. Even with Winfield still, Fresno had the athletes to test us on the perimeter and downfield. That is where they matched up with us. They eventually did it late in the game and shocker, they had success doing it. For some reason they just would not, which hey, I'll take it.

The Indiana win is more impressive than the Fresno win. 4* wins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the crux of my earlier post. Even with Winfield still, Fresno had the athletes to test us on the perimeter and downfield. That is where they matched up with us. They eventually did it late in the game and shocker, they had success doing it. For some reason they just would not, which hey, I'll take it.

Yup, offensively I think they got their head in the game the next week and took it out on UCLA.

By the way, most polls love teams that beat UCLA.

Fresno St
Oklahoma

I overheard a national sportscaster last week talking about Fresno's only loss. Said it was to a "horrible Minnesota team". I had to chuckle. I mean, we're not great....but horrible?

I overheard a national sportscaster last week talking about Fresno's only loss. Said it was to a "horrible Minnesota team". I had to chuckle. I mean, we're not great....but horrible?

Mediocre would be more accurate.

In fairness, a week ago we were 0-4 in conference, with every loss by at least two scores, and one loss coming to an 0-6 team.

Top Bottom