PJ Fleck on Sports Huddle 10-28-18

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
Gopher FB coach PJ Fleck appeared on the Sports Huddle on WCCO Sunday Morning.

Sid: talk about that conversation with Offensive coordinator before the winning TD?
PJ: we were struggling on offense for 3 or 4 possessions. we turned the ball over way too much. went 3-and-out a lot. Coach C said "do you want to end the game?" we'd been throwing inside slant all game, so we threw a slant-pump, and the kids executed it perfectly. the kids did a tremendous job.

Sid: what happened to offense and defense in 4th qtr?
PJ: you've got to play 4 qtrs. we had 5 total fumbles. I can't remember the last time that happened. it's inexcusable. it was wet, but it was wet for both teams - we can't allow that. we had 3-4 times to put the game away. missed a 3rd and 1, fumble on 1st down; we gave them an opportunity in our zone 3 times, and they took advantage. without turnovers, the game's ended. it will be addressed. the ball is the program. we value the football. it's a great learning opportunity. at the end of the day, we found a way to win, with all the things against them, backs to wall, Shannon going down. failing is growth. with so many young guys playing, got to learn to finish games.

Sid: talk about Morgan?
PJ: that's why we recruited him. that was one of the hardest decisions I've had to make. that was almost 8 weeks ago. Tanner has improved a lot since then. he's having great success because of how hard he's worked. the decision was based on the information I had at that time. Tanner never got down. stayed positive. tremendous leader. he's handled it in a very positive way. in this world of transfers, he could have picked up and left. I talked to him- told him there's going to come a time when he's going to have an opportunity, and you need to be ready. he's prepared. gutsy, leader, winner - incredible heart. really special.

Mona: injured players. Brooks, Johnson, Ibrahim, Zach
PJ: we'll find out in a little. we played without Shenault. we're one of the youngest teams in the country, then have the injuries, other things come up. it's amazing what this team has been able to do. lost our 4 best players. great to do what we do, fight. Jordan Howden played a tremendous game. still have a long way to go in development of program, culture. people who understand football can see where we're headed. injuries are a part of the game. we hope to get some of those guys back. need other guys to step up and step in. That was a red-shirt Freshman to a true Freshman for the winning play.

Sid: Bateman. everyone in the south was trying to get him.
PJ: Got on him really early. this program is not just about football. It's about becoming the best man you can be (the 4 ways). we're not for everyone - even in recruiting. some kids just want to play football. if your whole life is important, than our program is for you. Bateman had a chance to play in the SEC, but he wants to make MN a champion. Faalele, Dunlap are the same way. Bateman has a RTB tattoo. I'm proud of his progress. there are a lot of FR out there. some of the best FR in the country already. Bateman is that way on and off the field. he's a humanitarian.

Sid: Offensive line was outstanding.
PJ: they're getting better. Coach Callahan is making the line better. that's the real question - are we getting better? the end result is the end result. in every area, we're getting better. we have challenges at every position, but we continue to see growth. it's about what you have - is that part getting better? O-Line: Weyler is playing at a high level. Greene is growing up. that's nice to see. it's one of the things we talked about that he had to do. he played really well.

Max: you went to HS game last night at SMB. (note - that's a co-op with Minnehaha Academy and St. Paul Academy - Jalen Suggs at QB)
PJ: I've seen a few games - don't get much of a chance to get out. Good to go around MN and watch games. really fun to get around. be around HS coaches. get feel of MN playoff Football. great environment. the coaches understand what we're doing. It's fun to have the support of HS coaches.

Sid: some schools can get a bowl bid with 5 wins because of scholastics. can that happen for MN?
PJ: I'm not worried about that. our entire focus is on Illinois. I know that sounds like coach talk. with how young we are - we have to focus on one day at a time. continually get better at our life.

Mona: Uniform colors? charts of red-shirts - track who can play 4 games?
PJ: we have a lot of decisions to make (on red-shirts). it's part of the process. we were forced into playing more than we wanted to, because of injuries and depth. some guys will play every game, some guys will play 8 games, some guys will maybe only play 4 games. some won't play at all. we have a chart - we have personnel meetings. we ask "do we want to break red-shirt?" everyone is treated fairly. if it will not help the team drastically right now, we won't. // As far as the Uniforms - Northwestern goes out, beats Wisconsin, and they wore grey - not their regular colors. the players like different alternate uniforms. the Gold helmets are meant to connect our past to our future. trying to get into the 18-to 22-year old mindset. most things have to do with recruiting. if we can't get the best players here, we're not going to win. our players love those uniforms. our players is who I'm worried about. those young kids - 1st and foremost they are the most important part of my job. trying to get them to feel their best. it's not like we have purple uniforms. we will have alternate colors mixed in with maroon and gold. we'll be on the cutting edge of that. uniforms, helmets, colors, new things coming out. we do have traditional uniforms - the way paint colors are coming out, everything changes. even traditional programs have alternate uniforms. I get plenty of e-mails that are good, and plenty that are bad. at the end of the day, we will make the best decision for our players.

Sid: good seats available for next home game. congrats on victory. Murray's
PJ: RTB, Ski-U-Mah, go Gophers.

Again, thanks for that. Sounds like some solid, down to earth answers from the Coach.

It is appreciated.

Thanks SON! Having the run game humming with Brooks definitely helped the O-line with pass protection.

Concerning tho O line. For you old timers, I once heard a Bear Bryant in a clinic in Minneapolis speak pertaining to O line blocking. Of course then you couldn’t use your hands, everything had to be shoulder blocks. The jest of his speech dealt with the concept that good offensive linemen will have trouble when asked to run block, and then next play pass block. Run blocking of course means firing off the LOS but pass blocking , you have to sit back in your stance. Two different things, hard to get linemen to excell in both. Maybe that’s part of our problem. One guy fires off and is efficient at run blocking but doesn’t move his feet sufficiently to be a good pass blocker. A line coaches dilemma.

Concerning tho O line. For you old timers, I once heard a Bear Bryant in a clinic in Minneapolis speak pertaining to O line blocking. Of course then you couldn’t use your hands, everything had to be shoulder blocks. The jest of his speech dealt with the concept that good offensive linemen will have trouble when asked to run block, and then next play pass block. Run blocking of course means firing off the LOS but pass blocking , you have to sit back in your stance. Two different things, hard to get linemen to excell in both. Maybe that’s part of our problem. One guy fires off and is efficient at run blocking but doesn’t move his feet sufficiently to be a good pass blocker. A line coaches dilemma.

O line is the key to offense in my opinion. Weyler and Andries are getting better every game. Faalele is a real talent who will play in the NFL. Next year we will have a Wisconsin caliber O line. Remember, over a year ago we had 4 O linemen during Spring ball.

FWIW, I thought it was interesting that the longest answer Fleck gave - and the one he seemed most fired up about - was about the uniforms. I get the feeling that he's getting some flack on this behind the scenes. (and for the record, I like the Anthracite unis with Gold helmets....)

Thanks SON! With 4 games left, it'll be interesting to see if any other freshman get an opportunity to play. I'd like to see Curtis Dunlap some on the OL. Maybe Nolan Edmonds can get some carries at RB.

Thanks Son! We can always count on you! However just like we told DL65, if you've got a family commitment or something, that comes first!

Funny thing: With the RPO (run-pass option), linemen typically block every play like it's a run ... although many plays end up being passes.

If the refs ever start watching this closely, we'll see more flags for ineligible receivers downfield.

JTG

Thanks SON! With 4 games left, it'll be interesting to see if any other freshman get an opportunity to play. I'd like to see Curtis Dunlap some on the OL. Maybe Nolan Edmonds can get some carries at RB.

First, thanks SON for the excellent coverage.
I'd rather not see Dunlop, as the OL needs to continue developing cohesion and you don't get that by putting in new guys.

Remember, over a year ago we had 4 O linemen during Spring ball.

Four months later we had Greene, Wright, Weyler, Calhoun, Connelly, Schlueter, Olson, Oseland, Dovich all ready to go and all who played...we also had Lingen and Wozniak at tight end to supplement the oline..they could have used one of them on oline...Wozniak was a great blocker...New Orleans brought him in as an oline man...we also brought in juco Ben Davis, four star Andries, Sassack, Schmitz, Bursch, and a couple of walk ons....not many teams really use more than eight or nine oline men in a season.

FWIW, I thought it was interesting that the longest answer Fleck gave - and the one he seemed most fired up about - was about the uniforms. I get the feeling that he's getting some flack on this behind the scenes. (and for the record, I like the Anthracite unis with Gold helmets....)

I think all of the combos look good, the only thing bothers me is the paddle on the helmets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the recap. I am sure Fleck is bothered by people complaining about the uniforms, but it seems to be a pretty common thing across college football (for a segment of a fan base) to complain when non traditional colors are used in the uniforms.

Agreed. Also Brevyn Spann-Ford. There were a lot of comments from earlier on his potential based on a unique combo of height (6-7), size (260), speed, receiving talent, aggressiveness, etc. He has been on the Depth chart the past couple of weeks. Love to see what he can do in game situations.

I find it interesting that Fleck said some FR won't play at all. with the new rule, why wouldn't you want to get all of the FR a little game experience? If nothing else, let them dress for a game, and get in on special teams. If it was up to me, I would have all FR play 4 games - unless there was a physical reason for not playing. If I was a FR and didn't get in a game, I might be a little ticked off.

I find it interesting that Fleck said some FR won't play at all. with the new rule, why wouldn't you want to get all of the FR a little game experience? If nothing else, let them dress for a game, and get in on special teams. If it was up to me, I would have all FR play 4 games - unless there was a physical reason for not playing. If I was a FR and didn't get in a game, I might be a little ticked off.

Make them all earn playing time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe because he wants to win the remaining 4-5 games?

Agreed. Also Brevyn Spann-Ford. There were a lot of comments from earlier on his potential based on a unique combo of height (6-7), size (260), speed, receiving talent, aggressiveness, etc. He has been on the Depth chart the past couple of weeks. Love to see what he can do in game situations.

I think it's a strong possibility that he ends up on the DL.

I think it's a strong possibility that he ends up on the DL.

If that's the case we likely wouldn't see him this year, as that would be a position change.

I would be shocked if BSF switched to DE. PJ was just raving about him a few weeks ago. His best asset is his hands. Why complete negate that by switching him?

We'll have 8 underclassmen DE's next year - I doubt they would feel the need to move BSF there too.

2019 underclassman DE's
Otomewo
Mafe
Reigelsperger
Okonji
Ahanotu
Bargy
Harris
Anderson

Top Bottom