Chip Scoggins: Quarterback Tanner Morgan ought to stay at starter for Gophers

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Chip:

Freshman quarterback Tanner Morgan saved his team’s bacon with a 67-yard touchdown strike to fellow freshman Rashod Bateman with 1 minute, 34 seconds left for the winning score.

The Gophers led 31-9 entering the fourth quarter and looked in total control until they started playing giveaway with the football. One fumble, then another, then an interception.

Suddenly, it felt like 2003 all over again as Indiana pounced on their mistakes by scoring touchdowns.

The circumstances obviously were different this time because Indiana certainly isn’t Michigan, and the 2003 Gophers were a Top 20 team with ambition. But in terms of fourth-quarter calamity, we’d seen this movie before.

“What a game,” P.J. Fleck said.

Once he exhales, Fleck faces an interesting dilemma at quarterback. Which freshman does he choose if both are healthy: Morgan or Zack Annexstad?

My vote: Stick with the hot hand.

http://www.startribune.com/quarterback-tanner-morgan-ought-to-stay-at-starter-for-gophers/498768931/

Go Gophers!!

You stick with Morgan, because he is getting things done and Annexstad is injured. Once healthy, you play the better Quarterback.

If Zack is still injured sure.

If not... I think it is way more complex a decision. I don't want to take anything from Tanner but it was ONE great game against IU. No problem with playing him but the hype train shouldn't be just lukewarm at this point.

Agree, stay with the hot hand. But like Annexstad, Morgan is a freshman and will likely have a really ugly game somewhere along the way. It's great to have an option while Annexstad tries to get healthy and if Morgan continues to play well that's a good problem to have.

If not... I think it is way more complex a decision. I don't want to take anything from Tanner but it was ONE great game against IU. No problem with playing him but the hype train shouldn't be just lukewarm at this point.

Agree

Said in another thread that while Morgan played really well I don't think you push Annexstad to the side just yet. If ZA is injured at all let Morgan play again this weekend against Illinois and then decide down the stretch which QB gives the team the best shot to win the remaining games.

I frankly won't be surprised if we see both guys play significant minutes over the remainder of the season. Just so nice to be sitting here looking at 2 capable options (3 if you factor in Green who is solid at the limited things they are asking him to do). Far cry from where we have been for quite some time at the QB position but still lots of room for growth/improvement as well.

I think we understand it's 6 quarters against soft zones and Indiana at this point. Phil Nelson looked like a future Heisman winner after one bonkers half against Purdue as a newly starting freshman too, and we saw how that one ended.

That said, nothing ZA has done has suggested he's The Man and should be competition-proof. It's only fair to give both guys a real shot with the starting offense during a season where pretty much any job should be up for grabs. Right now Tanner looks like he's better, but the last 3 games in particular may throw cold water on that.

Of course, this whole discussion might be moot anyway, given that ZA has had recurring leg and internal injuries and should probably be sitting for health reasons. Which also allows PJF to avoid any "controversy" by not having to "bench" him at all.

If Tanner is working, don't fix it. We need two competent QBs.

Whoever is the backup is in an advantageous perch and usually comes out bonkers when called into action. But, we need to see if doesn't fizzle out.

If Tanner wins games, it will be good for the long run. And Zack can heal up and be in the observant learner and cheer leader perch like Tanner was. Both guys have good character and are selfless leaders.

Last edited:

I think we understand it's 6 quarters against soft zones and Indiana at this point. Phil Nelson looked like a future Heisman winner after one bonkers half against Purdue as a newly starting freshman too, and we saw how that one ended.

That said, nothing ZA has done has suggested he's The Man and should be competition-proof. It's only fair to give both guys a real shot with the starting offense during a season where pretty much any job should be up for grabs. Right now Tanner looks like he's better, but the last 3 games in particular may throw cold water on that.

Of course, this whole discussion might be moot anyway, given that ZA has had recurring leg and internal injuries and should probably be sitting for health reasons. Which also allows PJF to avoid any "controversy" by not having to "bench" him at all.

I understand caution in appraisal, but give Tanner some credit. His situation was similar to Croft last year. Croft came in against Michigan State when the game seemed out of reach, brought the team back to a respectable finish, and looked good. From then on, he was the starting QB but in the next game against Illinois he was pretty bad (5-15 for 47 yards) and was mostly bad thereafter.
At least Morgan followed up his great half against Nebraska with a fine full game performance.

I agree completely with your second paragraph and Zach has already had his shot. We should be consensus favorites against IL but likely underdogs against the remaining teams. We have little margin for error and could easily lose all of those games if we do not go with our strongest option.

Stick with the hot hand. Until Morgan fumbles twice and throws 4 interception in a game or gets hurt. The second is the more likely. Give ZA full recovery (if possible) and a heavy dose of coaching up. Both need serious coaching up. They are freshmen and this is an injury and coaching issue.

Stick with the hot hand. Until Morgan fumbles twice and throws 4 interception in a game or gets hurt. The second is the more likely. Give ZA full recovery (if possible) and a heavy dose of coaching up. Both need serious coaching up. They are freshmen and this is an injury and coaching issue.

Getting hurt has been a big problem for the Gophers for years now hasn't it? Playing a QB who can't run really is bad idea.

Tanner Morgan also has the benefit of being a Sophomore. This is his second year with the team. He's practiced and went to all the meetings for a year and a half now.

That probably helped his performances against Nebraska and Indiana.

Zero chance you don't let TM play in Champaign, and hopefully win that game, at least in similar fashion as over Indiana, hopefully in better fashion.

**THEN** is when you take a hard look in the mirror.

You need ****ONE**** win against: home vs Purdue, home vs NW, at Wisconsin. Just gotta eek out one win!! To go to a bowl game. Come on men, let's gooooo!!!!

Getting hurt has been a big problem for the Gophers for years now hasn't it? Playing a QB who can't run really is bad idea.

Tanner Morgan also has the benefit of being a Sophomore. This is his second year with the team. He's practiced and went to all the meetings for a year and a half now.

That probably helped his performances against Nebraska and Indiana.

Technically a redshirt freshman.

Take it one game at a time. There both freshman it will work itself out over the next couple years!

This is the only way to go imo. I don't get wanting a struggling/hobbled QB over the hot hand.

Top Bottom