Reusse's Reasons for Gopher Attendance Problems

Iceland12

Reaction score
He ain't wrong.

Reasons beyond win-loss record for terrible Gophers football crowds:

• AD Norwood Teague trying to use a Citrus Bowl appearance to assess excessive “scholarship seating’’ fee remains a disaster for maintaining the ticket base.

• Being outdoors and on campus might look great when playing TCU in late summer, but the public and students now say “forget it’’ in wet and/or cold later in the schedule.

• Fans of the Vikings now are charged twice as much for similar seats in The Zygi as in the Metrodome. There go the crossover dollars for Gophers tickets.

http://www.startribune.com/are-buxton-sano-best-of-the-busts/498799621/

Fat old $hit would definitely criticize P.J. if the Gophers lost yesterday but that not the case then he try’s to stir the pot this way..

He ain't wrong.

• AD Norwood Teague trying to use a Citrus Bowl appearance to assess excessive “scholarship seating’’ fee remains a disaster for maintaining the ticket base.

• Being outdoors and on campus might look great when playing TCU in late summer, but the public and students now say “forget it’’ in wet and/or cold later in the schedule.

• Fans of the Vikings now are charged twice as much for similar seats in The Zygi as in the Metrodome. There go the crossover dollars for Gophers tickets.

Agree with everything but number 3. I haven’t met a Viking fan that would even think about supporting the Gophers even with free tickets. They think they are more sophisticated. Watching the Vikings is like watching paint dry.

Agree with everything but number 3. I haven’t met a Viking fan that would even think about supporting the Gophers even with free tickets. They think they are more sophisticated. Watching the Vikings is like watching paint dry.

Think he's referring to Corporate ticket buyers.

I watch and support both teams and think they are equally as entertaining, although for different reasons.

Are you serious?

I consider myself a diehard Gopher fan on Saturdays and diehard Viking fan on Sundays. I would believe the majority of people are like me and cheer for the hometown team regardless of sport...

1) he is right about something for once
2) nope just the weak Minnefauxtans like you
3) not really sure what he’s getting at

Are you serious?

I consider myself a diehard Gopher fan on Saturdays and diehard Viking fan on Sundays. I would believe the majority of people are like me and cheer for the hometown team regardless of sport...

Agreed. I am a MN sports fan and cheer for all of our teams. I have season tickets for both the Gophers and the Vikings. I find both entertaining .

I know a lot that support both. Classic Pete Smith post.

This ^^^^^^^
There may be a small fraction that support both, but make no mistake...the Gophers are the little brother.

Last edited:

Have a Friday night game when Halloween is on a Wednesday when the weather is crap is not a very big draw compared to all the bar and house parties

With only my memory to back up this statement.....The Vikings sold out TCF every game for two years.....Gophers, not so much. Viking fans don't support the Gophers with their wallets. The entire college game day experience is a million times better than anything the NFL has to offer. GO GOPHERS!

Reusse's point is that the Vikings tickets got more expensive in the new stadium. So, if a Viking fan was thinking about getting Gopher tickets too, he now has less money available and is therefore less likely to add those Gopher tickets.

Unless you're in an income bracket where you're so filthy rich that it doesn't matter. Most people are not in that category.

Can the U get an agreement with the Vikings to host some Gopher football games at US Bank Stadium later in the cold months when there is snow and ice?

Also, not all Vikings fan are necessarily Gopher football fans. Many are from neighboring states and/or come to live and work in the Twin Cities. It is not only a matter of Vikings tickets being more expensive.

He ain't wrong.

Pretty obvious to me that it is simply a lack of winning. Same for basketball. Win huge, draw huge.

1 The price increase was ludicrous. The U should rescind it immediately.
2 Start winning consistently and people will show up in a nuclear firestorm.
3 See #2.

(When people are hanging around the stadium during a nuclear firestorm, hoping to get tickets from a scalper ... thats a good time to raise prices.)

JTG

Last edited:

I’m a Viking fan and a Gopher fan. The Gophers will always be the red headed stepchild of the two even if they can put together a winning program. When we start winning consistently against Conference opponents and especially trophy games attendance will improve. People just want to watch good football and lets be real, the Gophers haven’t provided a ton of that for a while now.

I am a huge fan of both (priority given to gophers). I know lots of people like me, although maybe they give priority to the Vikings. They are still gopher fans though.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Pretty obvious to me that it is simply a lack of winning. Same for basketball. Win huge, draw huge.

That sure would do it. However if winning "huge" is the only criteria for drawing "huge" than only 8-12 teams a year would draw big crowds. If that.

That's obviously not the case.

People love winners. If the Gophers win a Big Ten title, IMHO tickets will sell better, and then they will be a worthwhile bargain for a family to come to TCF Bank Stadium and watch an entertaining and competitive brand of football. Nobody wants to go and watch a losing blowout game.

People love winners. If the Gophers win a Big Ten title, IMHO tickets will sell better, and then they will be a worthwhile bargain for a family to come to TCF Bank Stadium and watch an entertaining and competitive brand of football. Nobody wants to go and watch a losing blowout game.

"Hot take" huh? :p

#2 doesn’t make one iota of difference unless you think walkup tickets are the difference between healthy and unhealthy attendance

#2 doesn’t make one iota of difference unless you think walkup tickets are the difference between healthy and unhealthy attendance

You have a point but walk-ups would be a smaller part of it. you're neglecting single game and packaged ticket sales. For many years the Gophers averaged about 50,000 people for Big Ten games and that was without selling 50,000 season tickets. People bought those big game tickets ahead of time.

The number of "no shows" has been talked about on here ad nauseam. Don't remember people talking about the difference between announced attendance and people in the seats in the Dome days.

1 win isn't going to move the needle. The Gophers are in a place now where they will have to have 2 or 3 really good seasons in a row to move the needle. I'm talking about 9 or 10-win seasons, and playing in a significant bowl game for at least 2 or 3 years in a row.

Then, there might - and I say might - be a change in attitude about the Gophers. Change the attitude - change the attendance.

Even if the Gophers beat Wisconsin, that is not going to bring about a sudden change in the public perception of the program. They will need to beat Iowa, beat Wisconsin, beat Nebraska - and do it more than once - to make people see the Gopher program in a different light.

Or cut ticket prices in half. Since that is not going to happen, winning is the only thing that will make a meaningful change in Gopher football attendance.

Yeah those scholarship donations are packing the place huh? :rolleyes:

It is about winning over a period of time. Last time I checked the Twin Cities is not a hick town but a wealthy metro area.

With only my memory to back up this statement.....The Vikings sold out TCF every game for two years.....Gophers, not so much. Viking fans don't support the Gophers with their wallets. The entire college game day experience is a million times better than anything the NFL has to offer. GO GOPHERS!

There is no Game Day Experience for Gophers games. I try to get there as close to game time as possible because there is nothing to experience. If you tailgate that’s different but most people do not. I’ve said this before, but I think the pregame show with the band is stale and needs to change. I saw a Texas HS band play the rouser on an ESPN game (it was their school song) and they played it with more tempo/faster and it sounded imuch better. Hate to pick on the band because I love it and all their work, but I think they need to change some things.

There is no Game Day Experience for Gophers games. I try to get there as close to game time as possible because there is nothing to experience. If you tailgate that’s different but most people do not. I’ve said this before, but I think the pregame show with the band is stale and needs to change. I saw a Texas HS band play the rouser on an ESPN game (it was their school song) and they played it with more tempo/faster and it sounded imuch better. Hate to pick on the band because I love it and all their work, but I think they need to change some things.

It’s a catch 22. For the pre game to be special the fans have to get there earlier.
On SON’s point I don’t think it needs to be 2 or 3 really good seasons. I think one good season and a good bowl game will do the trick.

Top Bottom