How much longer do we have to watch Tyler Johnson and Carter Coughlin?

TJ6 won’t be drafted. Awesome CFB WR, but doesn’t have the speed to be a NFL draftee. I question his size as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think TJ could run a high 4.4/low 4.5 at the combine. Some of you guys are acting like he's Dajon Mcknight.

He doesn't have blazing speed but he does have solid/good speed and will have a 40+ inch vertical that NFL teams will love. He wouldn't have had two 60+ yard TD's if he didn't have decent speed even if they were against Oregon State and Buffalo.

I think most teams would be willing to overlook the drops as well as those can be corrected with better concentration. He's definitely capable of making the tough catches.

I think the poor record this year is clouding people's judgement on this subject.

Can't believe how many people in this thread think Johnson won't get drafted.

I think TJ gets drafted after his senior year as a 5-7 round pick.
(But he needs to stop dropping the ball).

I'm beginning to worry that we'll loose one or both of them to the draft with how well they are playing. CC leads the Big Ten in sacks and TFLs with 9 and 12. Tyler is leading the Big Ten in receiving yards with 807 and TD's with 8.

I'm starting to think these guys can not only play in the league but actually excel and be impact players. I would think at the very least, they would be 4th round picks if they declared this year, possibly late second or early third rounders. They of course are not only tearing up the Big Ten but have the athleticism that translates to the NFL and will likely do very well at the combine. Probably would have to stay another year if they want to be first round picks.

Coughlin loves the U and his family is doing well for themselves so I do think he is less likely to leave compared to TJ but who knows.

Thoughts?

I completely misunderstood the meaning of the words of your thread title! On first read, I thought you meant "How long will we have to endure watching them". I was happy to see I was wrong!

I completely misunderstood the meaning of the words of your thread title! On first read, I thought you meant "How long will we have to endure watching them". I was happy to see I was wrong!

Watching this passing game on offense with receiving Touchdowns!!! UGH! I can't stand it!!

I think TJ could run a high 4.4/low 4.5 at the combine. Some of you guys are acting like he's Dajon Mcknight.

He doesn't have blazing speed but he does have solid/good speed and will have a 40+ inch vertical that NFL teams will love. He wouldn't have had two 60+ yard TD's if he didn't have decent speed even if they were against Oregon State and Buffalo.

I think most teams would be willing to overlook the drops as well as those can be corrected with better concentration. He's definitely capable of making the tough catches.

I think the poor record this year is clouding people's judgement on this subject.

It seems that everyone's comments are basically right on. The NFL is first and foremost about athleticism - performing well is nice to have, but not necessary. The good news for us (and bad for their NFL prospects) is that neither Johnson nor Coughlin are freak athletes. Both are very technically sound (Johnson's drops aside), but average athletes at best, even by Big Ten standards. Coughlin will certainly be drafted after next year, particularly if they do the right thing and play him at OLB so he has a chance to show that he can move in space and get film on what will be his NFL position. Johnson? I don't see it. Amazing college player, but will be lucky to be drafted, even after next season.

Both stay all 4 years. Johnson is a good college receiver but not an NFL player. Coughlin will get drafted as OLB by a 3-4 team. That’s my guess anyway.

It seems that everyone's comments are basically right on. The NFL is first and foremost about athleticism - performing well is nice to have, but not necessary. The good news for us (and bad for their NFL prospects) is that neither Johnson nor Coughlin are freak athletes. Both are very technically sound (Johnson's drops aside), but average athletes at best, even by Big Ten standards. Coughlin will certainly be drafted after next year, particularly if they do the right thing and play him at OLB so he has a chance to show that he can move in space and get film on what will be his NFL position. Johnson? I don't see it. Amazing college player, but will be lucky to be drafted, even after next season.

Strongly disagree with that. TJ is maybe the most athletic guy on the team and will likely have one of the top verticals at the combine which will be at least 40 inches. He isn't Myrick fast but I would still say he has good speed and like I said in the previous post, I think he'll run a high 4.4/low 4.5. I'd be very surprised if he ran in the 4.6's.

Coughlin's primary attribute as an edge rusher is his speed and it is the reason he is leading the Big Ten in sacks and TFLs, not his technique. Urban Meyer offered him because of his speed and raw athleticism relative to his size. He was a top 100 player in the country because of his athleticism and his Nike spare score was right outside of the top 10 highest scores at The Opening in Oregon, the most prestigous football camp in the country. I bet CC runs a 4.6 at the combine at 245 pounds.

Now if we were talking about Thomas Barber or Rodney Smith then I would agree with you. Barber is nothing special at all athletically and his production is almost exclusively the result of his amazing diagnostic skills. Smith is patient and has great vision but is nothing great in terms of speed or power. Those guys produce because of they are technically sound. Coughlin and TJ produce primarily because they are athletes.

Last edited:

I agree wholeheartedly with this assessment. Coughlin is a 3-4 OLB at the next level and could be a really good one. He's a rangy kid with pretty good speed and it would be great to see how he'd be in coverage. I think he's out of position right now and it would be great if the Gophers could find a bigger set of DEs to free up Coughlin. Maybe a couple of the redshirt freshmen will step up next year.

I go back and forth on Johnson. Whether or not he's drafted will likely depend on his performance at the combine, but with the NFL's pass-centric turn, there are so many multiple receiver sets that a guy like Johnson who shows both a willingness to go over the middle and enough speed to get deep could easily find a place on an NFL roster. The drops are maddening, but as others have said, that's likely due to a couple of bad habits and could be corrected.

I agree wholeheartedly with this assessment. Coughlin is a 3-4 OLB at the next level and could be a really good one. He's a rangy kid with pretty good speed and it would be great to see how he'd be in coverage. I think he's out of position right now and it would be great if the Gophers could find a bigger set of DEs to free up Coughlin. Maybe a couple of the redshirt freshmen will step up next year.

I go back and forth on Johnson. Whether or not he's drafted will likely depend on his performance at the combine, but with the NFL's pass-centric turn, there are so many multiple receiver sets that a guy like Johnson who shows both a willingness to go over the middle and enough speed to get deep could easily find a place on an NFL roster. The drops are maddening, but as others have said, that's likely due to a couple of bad habits and could be corrected.

Coughlin essentially already is a 3-4 OLB for us right now and has been his whole career here. I know we are technically a 4-3 team and we list CC as a DE but we use him more like an OLB than a DE with how rarely he has his hand in the ground. Most 3-4 OLB's rush the passer much, more than they drop back in coverage anyways.

Coughlin essentially already is a 3-4 OLB for us right now and has been his whole career here. I know we are technically a 4-3 team and we list CC as a DE but we use him more like an OLB than a DE with how rarely he has his hand in the ground. Most 3-4 OLB's rush the passer much, more than they drop back in coverage anyways.

True, but I don't think I've ever seen him drop into pass coverage and he would likely need to do that at the professional level. I don't doubt for a minute that he could do it.

I think they both will be drafted if they stay healthy. I do think there is a slight chance Coughlin could go after this season. He is very quick and fast for his size.

True, but I don't think I've ever seen him drop into pass coverage and he would likely need to do that at the professional level. I don't doubt for a minute that he could do it.

He was very good at it his Freshman year from what I recall. That's part of why it's been so painful for me to watch him with his hand on the ground the past two years. But whatever is best for the team, obviously...

He’s dropped into pass coverage at times this year.

CC45’s role this year is nothing like an OLB. He is out of position. Didn’t know there was still anyone who debated that.

CC45’s role this year is nothing like an OLB. He is out of position. Didn’t know there was still anyone who debated that.

His role is nothing like a 4-3 OLB but it is essentially identical to a 3-4 OLB. He lines up on the end, doesn’t have his hand in the ground, almost always rushes the passer on pass plays but will drop into coverage every once in a while. That is what a 3-4 OLB is and that’s what CC does.

Also for two out of his three years playing varsity FB for EP, he was a stand up rush, did they play him out of position too? Would he be leading the conference in sacks and TFLs If he was playing OLB in a 4-3? He is very likely going to be an edge rusher in the NFL as well and will likely be played “out of position” for all but one year in his entire football career. Or maybe CC never was suppose to be a 4-3 LB. I thought that was rather obvious since his sophomore year of HS and it looks like it’s turning out to be true.

His role is nothing like a 4-3 OLB but it is essentially identical to a 3-4 OLB. He lines up on the end, doesn’t have his hand in the ground, almost always rushes the passer on pass plays but will drop into coverage every once in a while. That is what a 3-4 OLB is and that’s what CC does.

<b>Also for two out of his three years playing varsity FB for EP, he was a stand up rush, did they play him out of position too? </b>Would he be leading the conference in sacks and TFLs If he was playing OLB in a 4-3? He is very likely going to be an edge rusher in the NFL as well and will likely be played “out of position” for all but one year in his entire football career. Or maybe CC never was suppose to be a 4-3 LB. I thought that was rather obvious <b>since his sophomore year of HS and it looks like it’s turning out to be true.</b>

I had similar debates on here when the U first put him there. Comparing what he did in HS to what he does in the B1G or should do in the NFL is a bit silly. He was likely bigger than some OL players he went against in HS - not so much now. You have your opinion of where CC45 should play, I don’t agree, but don’t use what he did at EP as an argument. Luckily for all he is an elite athlete and can be successful doing almost anything on a FB field.

I had similar debates on here when the U first put him there. Comparing what he did in HS to what he does in the B1G or should do in the NFL is a bit silly. He was likely bigger than some OL players he went against in HS - not so much now. You have your opinion of where CC45 should play, I don’t agree, but don’t use what he did at EP as an argument. Luckily for all he is an elite athlete and can be successful doing almost anything on a FB field.

Carter was only 200 pounds as a junior in HS and likely less than that as a sophomore. Most Lake conference OT’s are at least 240 if not 260-270. As a senior he was only 210-215.

Anyways fair enough.

You don't "have" to watch them at all, but we will "get" to watch them through their entire amount of eligibility.

Being thrown the ball a lot doesn't automatically equate to being an elite level WR. Johnson is a nice player for the Gophers that gets the ball thrown his way a lot. Drops the ball way too frequently and isn't necessarily a playmaker.

He'll go down as one of the better Gophers WR statistically though and I'm glad he's wearing Maroon & Gold!!

The problem is, in the NFL they don't work with you to fix a problem - they find someone else who doesn't have that problem. Especially for guys that aren't drafted in the first couple rounds. I know there are a couple examples, but name a WR that was known to drop passes and went to the NFL and figured it out, especially one not drafted in the first two rounds. For the Vikings, there was Troy Williamson that never got over them and Lequon Treadwell that is still working through it. If either were 4th round plus, they'd would have been gone much sooner. Tyler Johnson fits the Gophers offense well, but I don't think he'd be nearly as successful in an NFL offense. I hope I'm wrong - I want him to be successful here and the NFL. I hope he can become a hall of famer! I just don't see it happening. Watch any two winning big 12 or SEC teams and they probably have 2-3 Tyler Johnson like players on their team. He's a big fish in a little pond.

Coughlin I think will be drafted, but not this year.

I think the odds of either declaring early are pretty slim (unless they change the rules to where you can undeclare, which has been discussed).

Top Bottom