How much longer do we have to watch Tyler Johnson and Carter Coughlin?

die hard gopher

Reaction score
I'm beginning to worry that we'll loose one or both of them to the draft with how well they are playing. CC leads the Big Ten in sacks and TFLs with 9 and 12. Tyler is leading the Big Ten in receiving yards with 807 and TD's with 8.

I'm starting to think these guys can not only play in the league but actually excel and be impact players. I would think at the very least, they would be 4th round picks if they declared this year, possibly late second or early third rounders. They of course are not only tearing up the Big Ten but have the athleticism that translates to the NFL and will likely do very well at the combine. Probably would have to stay another year if they want to be first round picks.

Coughlin loves the U and his family is doing well for themselves so I do think he is less likely to leave compared to TJ but who knows.

Thoughts?

The issue with Carter, as far as the NFL goes, is that he's a bit of a tweener, I suspect that he'll be back next year. Johnson needs to work on the drops, I suspect that he'll also be back.

It will be interesting to see if they see some possible growth in the program and elect to stay for a nice bowl game opportunity next year. Neither has been a big contributor in our last bowl appearance.

I think both are 4/5 year players.

The biggest risks for early exit right now I would say are:

AW11
RB13
DF78

Almost zero chance either of them turns pro after this season. Even after next year neither are a lock to be drafted. That's just the reality of how good you have to be to be an NFL player. Both are phenomenal college players though.

Almost zero chance either of them turns pro after this season. Even after next year neither are a lock to be drafted. That's just the reality of how good you have to be to be an NFL player. Both are phenomenal college players though.

Neither will be drafted. Not good enough. Both, probably will hook on as a practice player.

The issue with Carter, as far as the NFL goes, is that he's a bit of a tweener, I suspect that he'll be back next year. Johnson needs to work on the drops, I suspect that he'll also be back.

He’d only be a tweener for a 4-3 team, not a 3-4 team. He has pretty standard size, speed and skill set for a 3-4 NFL OLB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think both are 4/5 year players.

The biggest risks for early exit right now I would say are:

AW11
RB13
DF78

I don’t think AWjr gets drafted until he shows that he can make it through a season.

I don’t think AWjr gets drafted until he shows that he can make it through a season.

Completely agree. Also, Bateman will have to show a lot in the next couple years to be a concern.

Neither will be drafted. Not good enough. Both, probably will hook on as a practice player.

Wozniak, Myrick, Craig James, Richardson etc. are the types of guys that hook on as a practice players.

CC and TJ are simply a different caliber of player and prospect.

While all players described here have reasonable chances at an NFL draft selection as seniors, none currently rate on any lists of early entry prospects to watch. It’s likely AW could get picked (not early) if he didn’t have a rather serious injury, but the others probably wouldn’t get chosen. There’s no reason beyond a falling out with Fleck, failing out of school, or dire financial need for any to go. And these guys don’t seem at risk of those things.

Neither one of them is leaving early let alone being drafted.

Last edited:

I can only wish we had talent that could leave early for the NFL. I'm not sure if we've ever had such talent. A successful, early entry into the NFL would be great for recruiting.

We are likely to go 4-14 in B10 under Fleck and there's a discussion about losing players to the NFL?
SMH, only in Minnesota.

I can only wish we had talent that could leave early for the NFL. I'm not sure if we've ever had such talent. A successful, early entry into the NFL would be great for recruiting.

Maxx and Maroney left early.

And CC and TJ aren't?

Not to that level, no. Maroney and Maxx were freaks. Go watch some SEC football - almost every team has a Tyler Johnson.

Eric Decker was much better than TJ and he didn't go early.

TJ has the drop issues and lacks top end speed needed at WR in the NFL.

Coughlin needs a year at his natural position - OLB. With Cashman's departure and our DL recruits coming in next year, I think there's a good chance Coughlin shifts back to OLB.

Neither are a threat to leave for the draft after this season.

Nobody leaves early from this team for the NFL at this point in time. Next year we may see TJ taken in the 4th round and Coughlin in the 5th or 6th round but they will need stellar senior years. I thought Barber had a chance to play at the next level but he seems to have disappeared this year. Scheme?

You think neither Coughlin nor Johnson will be drafted? Laughable
Coughlin maybe, doubt TJ for reasons GWG stated.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

TJ6 won’t be drafted. Awesome CFB WR, but doesn’t have the speed to be a NFL draftee. I question his size as well.

Top Bottom