Shannon Brooks

I wonder if the surface at TCF has anything to do with these injuries?

I just read something on twitter that in the NFL there has already been 43 ACL injuries in 8 weeks. It is on pace to shatter the record of most ACL injuries.

I would guess that it is more so the build of athletes today. You can work out legs and make them bigger and/or stronger, more explosive, etc but the ligaments are what they are.

Serious question, does TCF have an issue with turf? I can only recall Smith and Brooks. Who else has blew their knee up there?

That was holiday bowl on grass.

When he went down the series before, I feared the worst, because his arm was twitching. Wasn’t that something with his back? Hoping that’s all it is. Like others have said he was jogging off the field after the game. Also, as he was being helped off the field, he appeared to be walking just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't expect any real update until Monday at the earliest. On the Sports Huddle on Sunday, Fleck (and most other coaches) - when asked about injuries - almost always says that he won't know until he meets with the trainers later in the day.

I don't expect any real update until Monday at the earliest. On the Sports Huddle on Sunday, Fleck (and most other coaches) - when asked about injuries - almost always says that he won't know until he meets with the trainers later in the day.

Isn't Fleck giving you inside information yet?

I don't know that any strength and conditioning will help strengthen the ACL especially when a player like Brooks make those violent shifty cuts.

They strengthen the left muscle and make them powerful, but the weak links are the ligaments. I think of them like rubber bands that can tear.

When he went down the series before, I feared the worst, because his arm was twitching. Wasn’t that something with his back? Hoping that’s all it is. Like others have said he was jogging off the field after the game. Also, as he was being helped off the field, he appeared to be walking just fine.

I noticed that as well and was worried as well.
He came back from the ACL injury really fast. He obviously was moving well and the left knee appeared strong.

When I rewatched it a few times, it looked like one of his calfs "balled up" a bit.

At any rate, I'd like an update to end the speculation.

They were doing stability tests in his knee- and if it was an Achilles he certainly wouldn't have been jogging later

I don't know that any strength and conditioning will help strengthen the ACL especially when a player like Brooks make those violent shifty cuts.

They strengthen the left muscle and make them powerful, but the weak links are the ligaments. I think of them like rubber bands that can tear.

Weight lifting, stretching, etc. doesn't temper ligaments or tendons against tears, as far as I know. They're just there, doing whatever they do, and are dictated by your genetics. That's my gut feel/guess.

An expert please correct me!

Weight lifting, stretching, etc. doesn't temper ligaments or tendons against tears, as far as I know. They're just there, doing whatever they do, and are dictated by your genetics. That's my gut feel/guess.

No expert but it is fairly well known that balancing exercises and free weight lifting using compound/power lifts (dead lift, Squat, Bench press) strengthen and thicken tendons and ligaments. Diet is very important as well.

Update - on Sports Huddle, Fleck had no update on any of the injured players. All he said was "we hope to get some of them back."

So, the Cone of Silence is still in effect for injuries.

I am a physical therapist who works with plenty of athletes so I will weigh in on this. While you can't strengthen ligaments thru training, there is research that suggests specific training can be done to reduce risk of a non contact ligament injuries, including specifically the ACL. ACL tears usually occur when the planting kner falls inward (adducts) and rotates inward relative to the hip and foot. The training usually involves a lot of balance and ballistic agility work on one leg with external and internal feedback given to prevent the knee from falling into adduction and internal rotation, and you'll often hear it called "neuromuscular training".

Ive posted a few studies below regarding ACL or just general injury prevention programs. Because ACL injuries are more common in females, a bulk of the research has been done on them specifically, but the last study looked at male collegiate soccer players. What I don't know is whether the U's training program already involves this type of training.

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?...=1&oi=scholart#d=gs_qabs&p=&u=#p=94Y6yyZRYHkJ

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3702781/

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?...ion+fifa&btnG=#d=gs_qabs&p=&u=#p=ZOcWh-hi7nkJ

I am a physical therapist who works with plenty of athletes so I will weigh in on this. While you can't strengthen ligaments thru training, there is research that suggests specific training can be done to reduce risk of a non contact ligament injuries, including specifically the ACL. ACL tears usually occur when the planting kner falls inward (adducts) and rotates inward relative to the hip and foot. The training usually involves a lot of balance and ballistic agility work on one leg with external and internal feedback given to prevent the knee from falling into adduction and internal rotation, and you'll often hear it called "neuromuscular training".

Ive posted a few studies below regarding ACL or just general injury prevention programs. Because ACL injuries are more common in females, a bulk of the research has been done on them specifically, but the last study looked at male collegiate soccer players. What I don't know is whether the U's training program already involves this type of training.

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?...=1&oi=scholart#d=gs_qabs&p=&u=#p=94Y6yyZRYHkJ

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?...ion+fifa&btnG=#d=gs_qabs&p=&u=#p=ZOcWh-hi7nkJ

Thank you for the info. If you are in the Twin Cities, maybe you could contact the football “people” and see if they are doing some of the suggested preventative exercises. This would be of interest to all the GHS.

They were doing stability tests in his knee- and if it was an Achilles he certainly wouldn't have been jogging later

It’s also reasonable that if he failed said stability tests the trainers would have initiated a different protocol and not allowed him to run around.

Interesting and thanks.

My sources are saying it was a severe cramp that locked up his leg causing knee hyper-extension. Doubtful next week, but should be back for Purdue.

My sources are saying it was a severe cramp that locked up his leg causing knee hyper-extension. Doubtful next week, but should be back for Purdue.

My source said the same.
You are my source tho.

This would be great news. If this is true Fleck’s non-info comments related to injury on the sports huddle would be particularly frustrating. I understand non-doctors avoiding medical speculation but at the very least he could say it was related to a cramp and not the always-feared ACL check.

I don’t think there’s any way to totally prevent ACL tears. The high torque cutting movements inherent to football are inherently stressful to the knee. Perhaps the most helpful and easiest way to reduce injuries would be to switch to natural grass.

Think about it - in skiing we wear bindings that are set to release under certain load ratings to prevent leg and knee injuries including ACL injuries. Nobody in their right mind would bolt ski boots to their planks and ski down a mountain (except perhaps olympians). The combination of a higher friction surface, jump cuts, and cleats is bound to increase the risk of injury.

Let’s see some data on injury rates on different surfaces.

My source said the same.
You are my source tho.

This is strong evidence. Let’s go with it!

If true

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/5VMNcCxVBibZK" width="480" height="312" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/yes-anchorman-excited-5VMNcCxVBibZK">via GIPHY</a></p>

I don’t think there’s any way to totally prevent ACL tears. The high torque cutting movements inherent to football are inherently stressful to the knee. Perhaps the most helpful and easiest way to reduce injuries would be to switch to natural grass.

Think about it - in skiing we wear bindings that are set to release under certain load ratings to prevent leg and knee injuries including ACL injuries. Nobody in their right mind would bolt ski boots to their planks and ski down a mountain (except perhaps olympians). The combination of a higher friction surface, jump cuts, and cleats is bound to increase the risk of injury.

Quick search found a study that says acl tear rate is 1.36 times higher on turf vs grass.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

If this is true, he is required to sit out one more game anyway so why not the weakest opponent?

If this is true, he is required to sit out one more game anyway so why not the weakest opponent?

To help us win a winnable game?
I don’t think we can overlook any teams. I would argue having him for the weakest opponent is more important than the toughest. I’m still doubtful he will play again this year, but that is based on fear as much as anything.

The field was wet all game...so I would deduce that the surface had much less friction.

Top Bottom