Shannon Brooks

To help us win a winnable game?
I don’t think we can overlook any teams. I would argue having him for the weakest opponent is more important than the toughest. I’m still doubtful he will play again this year, but that is based on fear as much as anything.

Fair point. I also think the availability of Mo Ibrahim would have something to do with this choice if it's not a forced one. There seems to be a decent drop-off to Williams.

The field was wet all game...so I would deduce that the surface had much less friction.

Never said it would eliminate injuries. Why have programs with outdoor stadiums turned to fake grass anyway? Rain events? Seems like it would be terribly hot in the summer/ early fall. Like playing on asphalt.

Never said it would eliminate injuries. Why have programs with outdoor stadiums turned to fake grass anyway? Rain events? Seems like it would be terribly hot in the summer/ early fall. Like playing on asphalt.

Expenses probably. You don't have to water a fake feild. Don't have to mow it. Less likely to be damaged by players during rainy conditions.

The new playgrounds with rubberized surface are unbearable in direct sun even in moderate temps

If this is true, he is required to sit out one more game anyway so why not the weakest opponent?

There is no sure thing with this team. On the road vs Illinois, people shouldn’t assume this is a win. Road wins are not easy. Illinois could be really jacked feeling this is a great chance for them to get a win. It’s all about motivation, look at Oregon last night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. Gophers were jacked to be at home, with a winnable game, and badly needing a win. That was Nebraska last week. It will be Illinois next week. They better come to play!!

As someone else said - it's an expense thing. Once installed, you basically don't have to do much to maintain it for 10 years and you can use it as much as you want, not worrying about wet weather ruining your field. They don't have to have all those groundskeepers taking care of the grass. You can schedule as many events at the field as you want without fear of ruining it. For high schools that are short on field space, a turf field means you can let as many teams use it as you want (and you can also host other events like marching band or concerts). With grass, you could only schedule varsity games on it for fear of ruining the field.

I certainly would prefer to play on natural grass, but I also see the finances/maintenance side of why so many high schools and colleges are switching to turf. Plus the turf these days is a LOT better than what it was like 15-20 years ago.

Last edited:

The new playgrounds with rubberized surface are unbearable in direct sun even in moderate temps

Your likely too old to be playing at playgrounds anyway.

As someone else said - it's an expense thing. Once installed, you basically don't have to do much to maintain it for 10 years and you can use it as much as you want, not worrying about wet weather ruining your field. They don't have to have all those groundskeepers taking care of the grass. You can schedule as many events at the field as you want without fear of ruining it. For high schools that are short on field space, a turf field means you can let as many teams use it as you want (and you can also host other events like marching band or concerts). With grass, you could only schedule varsity games on it for fear of ruining the field.

I certainly would prefer to play on natural grass, but I also see the finances/maintenance side of why so many high schools and colleges are switching to turf. Plus the turf these days is a LOT better than what it was like 15-20 years ago.

With no groundskeeper around, who’s going to yell out... “5 foot nothin’! 100 and nothin’!”

Artificial turf is very expensive to install, requires maintenance, and lasts perhaps 10 years. That’s just for lawns, not the sports surfaces. It doesn’t cost much to put in and maintain a grass field. Northwestern hasn’t maintained their field since 1979 and it’s good enough for them. I genuinely think when handed other people’s money the idea of a shiny new turf field is irresistible to some. It’s a cool thing to have.

Sorry to derail the thread. We’re definitely in the bunker.

Yep. Gophers were jacked to be at home, with a winnable game, and badly needing a win. That was Nebraska last week. It will be Illinois next week. They better come to play!!

Right. Illinois has a good QB, didn't have Epstein, it's best running back, in a road humiliation last week (33-66) and will be up for MN at home. It won't be an easy win for the Gophers. Plus they will be underdogs in the three remaining games.

Artificial turf is very expensive to install, requires maintenance, and lasts perhaps 10 years. That’s just for lawns, not the sports surfaces. It doesn’t cost much to put in and maintain a grass field. Northwestern hasn’t maintained their field since 1979 and it’s good enough for them. I genuinely think when handed other people’s money the idea of a shiny new turf field is irresistible to some. It’s a cool thing to have.

Sorry to derail the thread. We’re definitely in the bunker.
Really? So you think that they just put it in because they were not being responsible with other people's money? What a joke, if you had a brain you would be dangerous!

As others had said, the ability to use the field for many more events and lower annual maintenance cost make the artificial turf fields more cost effective. Plus, there is just the natural problems with grass not growing in the late fall, can't be repaired, get's frozen and hard, etc.. Just like the at the old Met, the team could end up playing on a frozen old dirt field. Here is a quick analysis I found in about 10 seconds on the internet (of course it is from the turf people, but it give the general idea) and it doesn't take into consideration of costs to heat the field to keep the grass in place:
Screen Shot 2018-10-29 at 12.22.10 AM.jpg

Really? So you think that they just put it in because they were not being responsible with other people's money? What a joke, if you had a brain you would be dangerous!

As others had said, the ability to use the field for many more events and lower annual maintenance cost make the artificial turf fields more cost effective. Plus, there is just the natural problems with grass not growing in the late fall, can't be repaired, get's frozen and hard, etc.. Just like the at the old Met, the team could end up playing on a frozen old dirt field. Here is a quick analysis I found in about 10 seconds on the internet (of course it is from the turf people, but it give the general idea) and it doesn't take into consideration of costs to heat the field to keep the grass in place:
View attachment 5829

You accuse me of being stupid and link to a sales pitch. Can’t make it up. How about you “google” turf field lawsuits and get back to us smartie.

My sources are saying it was a severe cramp that locked up his leg causing knee hyper-extension. Doubtful next week, but should be back for Purdue.

When I rewatched it a few times, it looked like one of his calfs "balled up" a bit.

Wait, so the guy that saw his calf ball with a cramp up might have been right?

Must be a smart guy.

Just sick of hearing the turf arguement.

Now let's go back to you daily programming of "Who is Right".

Must be a smart guy.

Just sick of hearing the turf arguement.

Now let's go back to you daily programming of "Who is Right".

Wow! That’s damn impressive that you were able to see that and posted about it before Les’s post. How the heck did you see that on video?

My sources are saying it was a severe cramp that locked up his leg causing knee hyper-extension. Doubtful next week, but should be back for Purdue.

Not saying this is impossibly wrong ... but they were doing the "drawer test" on his knee when he was laying there. But that doesn't prove/disprove any hypothesis, as it could have just been a precautionary check.

Hoping for the best! Just looked all but guaranteed as an ACL on the slo-mo post someone put up from Twitter. Hope I'm wrong! (wouldn't be the first time, won't be the last!)

View attachment 5829

Appreciate you acknowledging the commercial interest in the analysis. I think the most striking part of it is the assertion that artificial turf can be used over 4 times as much as natural grass. If that is true in practice, game over, turf wins.

Having said all that, I like the idea of natural grass. The field might look like hell late in the season, but it is another changing element of the game.

You accuse me of being stupid and link to a sales pitch. Can’t make it up. How about you “google” turf field lawsuits and get back to us smartie.

Yes, the existence of lawsuits is strong evidence that something is bad. You can Google “CTE lawsuits,” for example, to demonstrate that football causes CTE. Here is one result:

https://edition.cnn.com/2015/04/22/us/nfl-concussion-lawsuit-settlement/index.html

Here is a more recent one for NCAA football.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news...y-anticipated-concussion-lawsuit-against-ncaa

There are lots more. Glad that is finally settled.

Last edited:

Must be a smart guy.

Looked it up and found an example on giphy. Did not post, because yuk. Looked like the Alien hatched in a calf muscle.

If you could spot that on TV, as Some Day said, that is indeed damn impressive.

Sure hope you are right.

Last edited:

I thought I saw the same thing when watching on the DVR. I'll have to look again.

Last edited:

If it was minor, why wouldn't Fleck say so. I doubt we ever see him on the field as a Gopher ever again. I feel bad for him.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Why would we never see him again? He’d be back for 2019

Why would we never see him again? He’d be back for 2019
Another torn ACL, plus concussions. I'm guessing he decides to hang it up and could be why we haven't heard anything. Shannon is deciding what to do.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom