Shannon Brooks

Another torn ACL, plus concussions. I'm guessing he decides to hang it up and could be why we haven't heard anything. Shannon is deciding what to do.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I agree. If its another Ligament in the knee, I bet he's done.

I agree. If its another Ligament in the knee, I bet he's done.

I've wondered more from a concussion standpoint in the past but if he has an ACL, I don't know why he would announce quitting football at this time.
He could just say "ACL" then closer to the off-season or next year after another semester of free classes he could say the body can't do it anymore.

Just by the way he ran Friday night, there is nothing in his running style that would make you think it would be easy for him to back off from playing football.
But that's working with assumptions of course.

Yes, the existence of lawsuits is strong evidence that something is bad. You can Google “CTE lawsuits,” for example, to demonstrate that football causes CTE. Here is one result:

https://edition.cnn.com/2015/04/22/us/nfl-concussion-lawsuit-settlement/index.html

Here is a more recent one for NCAA football.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news...y-anticipated-concussion-lawsuit-against-ncaa

There are lots more. Glad that is finally settled.

CTE exists, the issue is how widespread it is. There are frequent CTE threads where you can get up to speed.

Regarding the turf, Field Turf acknowledge the turf is defective. They are blaming their supplier. But, all kinds of fields are going bad here in SoCal as it turns out UV plus frequent mechanical irritation/movement is bad for artificial turf (who knew?). Classic overpromise and underdeliver. Regardless, if one is spending more than 500k - 1M on sod/seed/fertilizer/mowing over 10 years you’re doing it wrong. The days or hours available is really one of the dumbest and most classic sales-speak arguments I’ve ever heard. Bottom line is they are a net waste of money for most schools and it isn’t close.

Another torn ACL, plus concussions. I'm guessing he decides to hang it up and could be why we haven't heard anything. Shannon is deciding what to do.

You know this how?

You know this how?
I don't. This is a message board not the associated press. That said, I've torn my ACL twice, so I'm slightly more qualified then most.

My post is pure speculation.

I don't. This is a message board not the associated press. That said, I've torn my ACL twice, so I'm slightly more qualified then most.

My post is pure speculation.

I realize that this board is not the Associated Press. Everyone's personal experience is not the same as Brooks however. I'm suspecting something is up if the MRI was done today. Perhaps they couldn't do it for whatever reason.

My sources are saying it was a severe cramp that locked up his leg causing knee hyper-extension. Doubtful next week, but should be back for Purdue.

So Les, you still hearing the same thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it was minor, why wouldn't Fleck say so. I doubt we ever see him on the field as a Gopher ever again. I feel bad for him.

Maybe he doesn’t want to let the opposing team know the extent of the injury, to keep them guessing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately, the very things that make Shannon Brooks great - his violent running style also makes him injury prone.

Tearing ACLs on running backs with overdeveloped muscle mass and strength has to impact the weakest links on the leg joints which are the ligaments. I watch people like Shannon Brooks (and Teddy Bridgewater for that matter) go down with non-contact injury and I cringe.

The constant reps in practice and in games must put a lot of stress and strain on the knee joints. How many injuries like this occur in practice that we never see? It is akin watching a dragster implode from within with so much energy bursting through those legs. Sooner or later something is going to pop like a blown head gasket. Unfortunately, it is the knee joints.

College football should look at the late John Gagliardi's Golden Rule. There are no tackling in practice,etc... Maybe Shannon Brooks and others can put a little more life on those legs by not over stressing them in practice.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/john-gagliardi-was-nothing-like-a-college-football-coach-and-won-more-than-any/2018/10/08/de6a7b70-cb06-11e8-a360-85875bac0b1f_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.626dae55dda9

Last edited:

per Randy:

No word on Brooks yet

Fleck also didn’t have an update on other injured Gophers. The most concerning of those is senior running back Shannon Brooks, who, while making his season debut Friday, suffered a right knee injury while making a cut during a fourth-quarter run. Brooks, who rushed 22 times for 154 yards against the Hoosiers, fell to the turf without being tackled after gaining 27 yards. He was tended to on the field and received assistance to the sideline.

On Sept. 8 against Fresno State, the Gophers lost senior running back Rodney Smith for the season to a torn anterior cruciate knee ligament when he made a cut after catching a screen pass.

Redshirt freshman Mohamed Ibrahim (undisclosed injury) did not play Friday. True freshman Bryce Williams rushed seven times for 17 yards. He started against Indiana, but Brooks took over on the second series.

http://www.startribune.com/tanner-m...phers-against-saturday-at-illinois/498929991/

Go Gophers!!

So we have some people suggesting his career is over and other people saying he had a cramp. I'd say that is a very large speculative spectrum. There were several other people injured in the game and I don't believe there has been updates on them either, right? So, I don't necessarily believe the lack of an announcement up to this point means he has had an ACL and they are awaiting his future plans before they announce it. However, the way he went down sure looked like a classic ACL. Several have said they saw Brooks run after he was helped off the field. I have seen people walk quite normally after an ACL before but if a player has been diagnosed on the field with a possible/probable ACL - it seems really strange that they'd let that person RUN with an unstable knee. What if he slipped? What if someone stepped out in front of them while they were running? Just because someone can walk or run without a limp after a possible ACL doesn't mean they are allowed to run within minutes or hours of the injury, right? So, basically everything I have just written argues with itself. Looking forward to an update on this to clear the air with his health and I am hoping for the best for him.

So we have some people suggesting his career is over and other people saying he had a cramp. I'd say that is a very large speculative spectrum. There were several other people injured in the game and I don't believe there has been updates on them either, right? So, I don't necessarily believe the lack of an announcement up to this point means he has had an ACL and they are awaiting his future plans before they announce it. However, the way he went down sure looked like a classic ACL. Several have said they saw Brooks run after he was helped off the field. I have seen people walk quite normally after an ACL before but if a player has been diagnosed on the field with a possible/probable ACL - it seems really strange that they'd let that person RUN with an unstable knee. What if he slipped? What if someone stepped out in front of them while they were running? Just because someone can walk or run without a limp after a possible ACL doesn't mean they are allowed to run within minutes or hours of the injury, right? So, basically everything I have just written argues with itself. Looking forward to an update on this to clear the air with his health and I am hoping for the best for him.

Do we have anyone saying that his career is over DUE to the cramp yet? That will complete the full spectrum!

Here's to a healthy Shannon Brooks!

Go Gophers!!

Fleck has his morning chat with PA then Gopher Football Weekly today at noon on KFAN.
Rosen has to ask him about it I'm sure.
It's not like he can't know 4 days later.

Fleck has his morning chat with PA then Gopher Football Weekly today at noon on KFAN.
Rosen has to ask him about it I'm sure.
It's not like he can't know 4 days later.

When Smith got hurt, he kept saying that he'd address it on Tuesday (at his news conference or show). In that instance, something slipped out before then, and the media started reporting it everywhere. They've kept a better lid on things this time.

Do we have anyone saying that his career is over DUE to the cramp yet? That will complete the full spectrum!

Here's to a healthy Shannon Brooks!

Go Gophers!!

It is well known Brooks does not like hydration so maybe the only way to overcome the cramp is with water and he refuses? Seems like this is the most likely outcome

Has anyone mentioned that Brooks may grad transfer now? Probably to Iowa or wisconsin. Lets start worrying about that!

Well, it's not looking good. Brooks is not on the depth chart (usually changes), but him not being mentioned doesn't look good.

Here it is:
taiLbacK
24 Mohamed Ibrahim 5-10 205 R-Fr. Olney, Md. Good Counsel
OR
21 Bryce Williams 6-0 200 Fr. Sarasota, Fla. Cardinal Mooney
28 Jonathan Femi-Cole 6-0 225 R-Jr. Ontario, Canada St. Andrew's College
OR
8 Nolan Edmonds 5-11 200 Fr. Alpharetta, Ga. Alpharetta

-One glimmer of hope: he wasn't mentioned in last weeks depth chart either.

Last edited:

Well, it's not looking good. Brooks is not on the depth chart (usually changes), but him not being mentioned doesn't look good.

Here it is:
taiLbacK
OR
OR

Curious about Nolan Edmonds.
Getting to the point where he can get some reps. Fleck obviously likes Williams better. Curious if Edmonds will get much action this year.

It is important to establish a run game and I think we may see more running backs play. Maybe this is the game opportunity for Nolan Edmonds to get some reps.

Will they ever play Femi-Cole? What's the beef on him? He is a red shirt Junior. Will he graduate early and grad transfer?

Last edited:

Here it is:
taiLbacK
OR
OR

Not only was Brooks not on the depth chart before the Indiana game, Annexstad was listed as the starter at QB. Fleck's depth chart is meaningless. I have no idea about the status of Brooks, but you won't find any clues on the depth chart.

It is important to establish a run game and I think we may see more running backs play. Maybe this is the game opportunity for Nolan Edmonds to get some reps.

Will they ever play Femi-Cole? What's the beef on him? He is a red shirt Junior. Will he graduate early and grad transfer?

Had heard it has to do with his adaptation of the Fleck culture and his willingness to put in the work necessary to get in the rotation. Heard this, but not confirmed.

I know Femi-Cole is popular with a lot of people here but I would assume that if they are not playing him it is because they feel like the guys in front of him are better. If he is buried on the depth chart I am sure they would not be crushed to see him grad transfer somewhere in order to free up the scholarship.

Here it is:
taiLbacK
OR
OR

Maybe James Johannesson would have helped - he's averaging 7.5 yards per carry with North Dakota. Had one great spring game here and is a power runner.

Maybe James Johannesson would have helped - he's averaging 7.5 yards per carry with North Dakota. Had one great spring game here and is a power runner.

He is averaging 10 carries per game. He ran for 213 on 11 carries, he had 1 carry in the first quarter and did most of his damage when they were up 2+ scores. (90 yards on 1 carry, 36 on another that he fumbled, 38 on another)

Guessing the Femi-Cole or Williams or a host of other current and former Gophers could run all over Sacramento State or Northern Colorado. He did average 2.3 yards per carry vs Washington.

I know Femi-Cole is popular with a lot of people here but I would assume that if they are not playing him it is because they feel like the guys in front of him are better. If he is buried on the depth chart I am sure they would not be crushed to see him grad transfer somewhere in order to free up the scholarship.

I am thinking he is a grad transfer next year. I don't know what all goes on in the program. But, there has to be some disgruntled kids with attitude. I am not saying that he is one. I heard David Cobb had an attitude until someone sad down with him. He then bought in and put in the work and then Donnell Kirkwood got hurt and got his opportunity.

Top Bottom