Shannon Brooks

UpAndUnder43

Reaction score
Figured I’d start a thread that didn’t mention his arrest in the title.

He looked strong and explosive. Sooo much quicker than Williams. Fumbles were a big negative. I’m hoping he avoided a serious injury

It’s amazing how much more juice he has than all the other running backs on the team - Smith included. It seems like every time he touches the ball there is a chance of a TD.

I don't think I've seen a more violent runner.
He's the definition of explosive. He seems to drop his hips going into contact then just explode and extend on contact.

I hope his leg is okay.

Yup. Let's hope that it was a tweak, and not the precursor to another surgery and rehab. He left the game, and the offense sagged....

As I mentioned in another thread (and was scolded), there was such a HUGE drop off when he left the game. He is so dramatically better than all the other options (except Smith). Quickness, elusiveness, moves, change of direction, speed, power, violence - all MUCH better. I’m so bummed he is hurt again. This staff needs to recruit much better at RB. The other guys are serviceable, but pale in comparison to Brooks and Smith.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As I mentioned in another thread (and was scolded), there was such a HUGE drop off when he left the game. He is so dramatically better than all the other options (except Smith). Quickness, elusiveness, moves, change of direction, speed, power, violence - all MUCH better. I’m so bummed he is hurt again. This staff needs to recruit much better at RB. The other guys are serviceable, but pale in comparison to Brooks and Smith.

I really like Ibrahim. Keep in mind he is 3 years younger than Brooks. He will get there.

I’ve always preferred Brooks over Smith. Just like his style better. Both are great though

He's the definition of explosive. He seems to drop his hips going into contact then just explode and extend on contact.

I hope his leg is okay.

MBIII was awfully violent. Brooks is up there tho.

The rz fumble was a killer.

Hope knee is ok though

I hope his leg is okay.

Unfortunately he was also dropping something other than his hips, and that could have sunk us.

Shannon earned his value to the team. With him in the ball game, the defense had to respect the Gopher's added threat.

Rest him and play him one more game plus a bowl game should they get to 6-6.

He has such instinctive cuts and power. Do we know that it is a knee? He got hit in the back a few plays earlier, maybe he aggravated his back on that last play?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He has such instinctive cuts and power. Do we know that it is a knee? He got hit in the back a few plays earlier, maybe he aggravated his back on that last play?

I talked to a fellow Gopher fan at the game. He said it looked like it could have been a severe cramp or something of that nature. Said he saw Brooks later trying to loosen up. I don't know I was sitting at a bad angle and I couldn't see what was happening on the sideline.

It was his back the first time, but not the second. It was his knee - but not the same knee as he just injured in the spring.

It was so good to see Shannon out on the field. I felt awful when he went down.

Count me in with the wishes for a thorough recovery for Shannon.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

If he is ok, it'll be interesting to see what they do with him going forward. Do they rest him next week, then play the next 3, and then he has to sit the bowl game to keep the red shirt.

Ibrahim runs hard he just doesn’t have the vision of Brooks that will get better. Brooks was hitting the hole hard. Smith is also a very good receiver out of the backfield. Nice trio if they can stay healthy.

Feel bad for Brooks that leg went limp he let go of the ball right away and pointed to his knee. Sucks.

Brooks is a stud. Rushes for 150 yards in his first game back -- and isn't even able to finish it out. This team is so different with him or Smith in there. I like Ibrahim as well, but nobody can argue it hasn't been a HUGE loss playing without the top two RBs for most of the season.

Not to mention 2 starting safeties, your starting QB last night, 1-2 starting CBs depending on the game, your starting DT for multiple games. The injuries this year have been ridiculous. It's a part of the game of course, but it does reinforce the "young" narrative. People can either choose to believe that part of it or not, but a full-strength and healthy Gophers team is way better than what we've been seeing the past few weeks.

Brooks or Smith force the opposing D to a different level of respect for the run.

Here's the thing ... his leg muscles are so strong and so explosive, and he is so shifty in the way he runs ..... his joints can't handle it. They're not strong enough hold up to that kind of strain/stress. This has been proven ... he gets injured so often.

I hope, hope that he just has to sit out one week. In fact, it might work out perfectly to have him sit next week vs Illinois, hopefully Ibrahim can play instead. Then have Brooks play vs Purdue, NW, and Wisc. Even if we manage to go 7-5, we won't be in that high a bowl game probably, so I'd rather have Brooks beat Wisconsin than win the bowl game. Baby steps.

If he is ok, it'll be interesting to see what they do with him going forward. Do they rest him next week, then play the next 3, and then he has to sit the bowl game to keep the red shirt.

Rest him against Illinois, regardless. Then play him NW, Purdue, and Wisconsin ... let's go for the sweep!!!!!!

Don't care as much about the bowl game, at 7-5 it will probably be against Mountain West or CUSA. Even if we lose .... getting there is a nice step for the team this season. Let's goooooo!!!!

I watched the replay about five times and super slow motion, and couldn't figure out what happened to him. Hopefully it is not serious

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I agree I don’t care if he plays in a mostly meaningless bowl game. If he can play, let’s have him get us to a bowl game, then he can come back next year and get us to a better one

Remember Earl Campbell? The epitome of a violent runner. Dude would frequently go out of his way to run over a D-back.

"Every time you hit him you lower your own IQ," a Redskins linebacker once said about him.

JTG

I really like Ibrahim. Keep in mind he is 3 years younger than Brooks. He will get there.
I’ve always preferred Brooks over Smith. Just like his style better. Both are great though

Me too.

Brooks is by far my favorite Gopher over the past decade.

Remember Earl Campbell? The epitome of a violent runner. Dude would frequently go out of his way to run over a D-back.

"Every time you hit him you lower your own IQ," a Redskins linebacker once said about him.

JTG

Yes!

Walter Payton rarely, if ever, went out of bounds. He laid the wood on the defender. Loved both of them.

Brooks is a stud. Rushes for 150 yards in his first game back -- and isn't even able to finish it out. This team is so different with him or Smith in there. I like Ibrahim as well, but nobody can argue it hasn't been a HUGE loss playing without the top two RBs for most of the season.

Not to mention 2 starting safeties, your starting QB last night, 1-2 starting CBs depending on the game, your starting DT for multiple games. The injuries this year have been ridiculous. It's a part of the game of course, but it does reinforce the "young" narrative. People can either choose to believe that part of it or not, but a full-strength and healthy Gophers team is way better than what we've been seeing the past few weeks.

This. Enjoying this season, but looking forward to what a healthy, more experienced crew can do next year -- especially if there's another influx of young talent.

JTG

I hope his leg is okay.

Larry Czonka...got penalized for unneccessary roughness and he was the ball carrier.

Top Bottom