What grade do you give PJ Fleck for coaching in the Indiana game?

What grade do you give PJ Fleck for coaching in the Indiana game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I voted A. This game would've remained an absolute blowout without our RBs coughing it up 3 times while the O was heading into the redzone. I mean, the staff had absolutely nothing to do with those. Awesome gameplan on O to go heavy RPO. With Brooks back and a somewhat mobile QB in Morgan, IU had to be much more aware of the zone running game which left the middle of the field open in the passing game (like it did against OSU).

D went back to their early season scheme of playing a lot of man free coverage with tight press at the line to take away quick passes. They'd mostly stopped doing that after Winfield went out and instead laid back in soft cover 3, much to the chagrin of many armchair coaches on Gopherhole. Problem with man free is two fold as we saw last night: 1) room for the QB to scramble (especially if your freshman DEs keep inexplicably taking an inside pass rush) and 2) more difficulty creating a pass rush as your DEs are supposed to maintain outside rushes and your LBs have coverage responsibilities. IU started exploiting this late and we saw our young DBs get abused on a few occasions in the 4th quarter.

I had a couple small qualms, but nothing that would knock it down from an A in my book.

I voted A. This game would've remained an absolute blowout without our RBs coughing it up 3 times while the O was heading into the redzone. I mean, the staff had absolutely nothing to do with those. Awesome gameplan on O to go heavy RPO. With Brooks back and a somewhat mobile QB in Morgan, IU had to be much more aware of the zone running game which left the middle of the field open in the passing game (like it did against OSU).

D went back to their early season scheme of playing a lot of man free coverage with tight press at the line to take away quick passes. They'd mostly stopped doing that after Winfield went out and instead laid back in soft cover 3, much to the chagrin of many armchair coaches on Gopherhole. Problem with man free is two fold as we saw last night: 1) room for the QB to scramble (especially if your freshman DEs keep inexplicably taking an inside pass rush) and 2) more difficulty creating a pass rush as your DEs are supposed to maintain outside rushes and your LBs have coverage responsibilities. IU started exploiting this late and we saw our young DBs get abused on a few occasions in the 4th quarter.

I had a couple small qualms, but nothing that would knock it down from an A in my book.

Like many things (math, foreign languages, a sense of humor) if one does not practice it frequently (like many of the non-youth and college QBs and players) the concepts can become lost.

Every coverage has inherent strengths and weaknesses and the players executing them have to have ability and instincts.

For those armchair QBs a sky high refresher: http://smartfootball.com/passing/attacking-coverages-in-the-passing-game#sthash.PIrKmB7z.dpbs

It’s safe to say if the QB runs for 30 yards untouched there was a blown assignment by someone, somewhere. That sort of thing happens with alarming frequency with this defense.

B for the actual game but a retroactive F if this is the game we discovered that the staff goofed the QB decision the first half of the year.

Could a couple of you folks explain your F's?

F
Cruze, hello-world, howeda7, iowa, LesBolstad

I went with a C. Some good, some not-so-good, and I average it out to a C.

In fairness, if the poll allowed + or - votes, I might have gone for a C+ or a B-.

And, there is also the eternal question - if something good - or bad - happens, is it coaching or is it execution? I tend to believe that coaches get too much credit when a team wins, and too much blame when a team loses. With me, it's about the players. And we don't know most of the time what happens behind the scenes. Maybe a guy made a great play because of something the coach said or suggested. Or, maybe the guy made a great play out of instincts and his own film study, not because of some brilliant coaching maneuver. People may very well be giving a coach praise or blame that he doesn't deserve.

If we're talking about coaching, not many penalties this year, at least I don't think we've had many.

And we've overcome the few that were there when it is on our offense. It used to be a false start or such would just end a drive, not so much.

From a penalty standpoint they are well coached.

From a penalty standpoint they are well coached.

They have been very good in this area under Fleck and it does make a difference. This team is more talented than any Gopher team in a long time but they will, and do, make youthful mistakes. Overall, we are on the right track but I’m convinced the defense, specifically Robb Smith at DC, is an issue that Fleck will have to address.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can’t believe the Wendy Whiners on here. Absolutely clueless.

Some Day's measure has always been Fleck's attractiveness and that was only enhanced by the rain rolling down his bod Friday night. So yes A+++

After the Nebraska game it was, hey the coaches can't make the tackles, now it is they can't hold on to the ball. I suppose depending how you look at this, it is all true, but the reverse also must be true that they can't really be congratulated for anything either.

I’m super happy we don’t get a lot of penalties. Hard for young guys to follow the rules.

Top Bottom