What grade do you give PJ Fleck for coaching in the Indiana game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dano564

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score

I want to give this game two grades.

I want to give this game two grades.

Definitely a two-grade game.

I'll compromise and go with a B, 'cuz I'm feeling generous.

We got the win, despite being our own worst enemy in the third quarter. We came out to play. Morgan looked good. D-backs played tight and tackled well. We were more aggressive defensively.

Take away the giveaways and it's a straight A.

JTG

I gave him a C. I think he could have taken Shannon out before he got hurt. I think we were lost once the comeback started. And he is awful with timeouts. One day we'll need them in a big game and he'll have used them to stop a 4th and 10 from being a 4th and 15...

I gave him a C. I think he could have taken Shannon out before he got hurt. I think we were lost once the comeback started. And he is awful with timeouts. One day we'll need them in a big game and he'll have used them to stop a 4th and 10 from being a 4th and 15...

I don't understand the take Shannon out argument at all.

1. Game wasn't over as Indiana illustrated.
2. People get hurt randomly. Could be in practice on Tuesday.
3. Shannon was only going to play in 4 games this season, which meant only 3 more games after today, one of which could have been a bowl game. So the risk of playing him is that you lose him for 3 games.

3. Shannon was only going to play in 4 games this season, which meant only 3 more games after today, one of which could have been a bowl game. So the risk of playing him is that you lose him for 3 games.

And potentially for the rest of his career.
Does anyone know which knee he tore up in the spring?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The overall game gets a P for Putrid. Fleck get a C minus for the vanilla shell offense, and still employing Robb Smith as defensive coordinator. Smith is not rowing the boat and Is not elite.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

I felt at the time that the fumbles were due to him not being game ready. We were all of a sudden giving him every snap, and it seemed like too much for someone coming back from injury. I would have liked to see Williams come in and get a few carries around that time.

I felt at the time that the fumbles were due to him not being game ready. We were all of a sudden giving him every snap, and it seemed like too much for someone coming back from injury. I would have liked to see Williams come in and get a few carries around that time.

Williams was not effective as a runner after Brooks got hurt, but I think it was Indiana crashing and not playing honest.
Which, of course is why RB#13 broke the long one when their secondary bit on play action.

I can’t believe the Wendy Whiners on here. Absolutely clueless.

C

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

This has been a roller coaster season... but if PJ is the motivator then he's gotten the team going and showing some grit out there.

Lots of other gopher teams would have come out slow, and given up after some of those turnovers or the comeback... this team didn't quit.

That's not a good thing. People that tear one ACL are way more likely to tear the other.

Not sure what you're saying but if it's an ACL tear it is. It's much easier to come back after an ACL if it's your first tear in that knee than if it's a repeat. Also easier to harvest a piece of hamstring tendon to act as the graft.

C = average. Ask me after the first half? Solid B, or B+..... If you were in the stands for the entire 2nd half, you'll understand the C... regardless of fumbles...

I said he'd need to be at least a B to win any games this year, so I guess I have to give him that B (was right between B-/C+ in my mind). I posted some thoughts in the post game thread, but with all the injuries on this squad every win should garner a decent grade IMHO.

I said he'd need to be at least a B to win any games this year, so I guess I have to give him that B (was right between B-/C+ in my mind). I posted some thoughts in the post game thread, but <b>with all the injuries on this squad </b>every win should garner a decent grade IMHO.

Is it time for a new S&C Coach?

For me, he gets a solid A and it comes down to 1 play. He went for 4th and short on our side of the field with Indiana surging early on - it is an incredible gamble. If we get stuffed, I think he loses the team and we can write off the Fleck era. However, he showed confidence in his team and they executed for the 1st down. That one play is a game and potentially season changer for me. For the first time since Fleck was hired, I am impressed by his actions.

I gave my first B of the season (previously was all A's and F's). I liked the fact that the defense was at least trying something different. Offense looked really good for most of the game. Hard to blame all the turnovers on the coach.

If I recall correctly we used a TO for that 4th down call too.

I thought lining up quick and doing a sneak would have gotten it.

I would have been very unhappy if we used the TO and not made the down.

Agree a gutsy call and Team executed. Good FB.

Is it time for a new S&C Coach?

Yeah, I thought the new coach was going to take care of that "problem" that the previous staff had?

I appreciate the consistency in your voting methodology.

I also like the elegant simplicity and results-based nature of UU's methodology. That said I'll go a different route.

I struggled between b and c, but went with B. Need to give the coach credit for having us ready to come out and play, unlike Maryland, Iowa, and Nebraska. First half game plan seemed great. Other than the fumble, they couldn't keep us out of the end zone and despite some long drives, they couldn't get in the end zone. That said, this was almost a Mason levelcollapse. Totally unacceptable to need to sweat out a game you led 31-9 fairly late, much less let the other team get in a position where its tied and they have the ball. Some of our offesnive playcalling on late three and outs was uninspired. Fleck has to get credit for the winning pass to Bateman, they expected us to go conservative and cheated up, and we exploited that.

PJ Fleck avoided a Glenn Mason type collapse that would have been the talk for ages. Whew!

Shannon should have been rested for a snap or two. The second fumble was a momentum changer in favor of Indiana.

Overall, this is a great learning experience for the players to not assume the game is in the bag.

For me it was an interesting game from a play calling perspective. Super aggressive gambles at times (4th down in our territory, RPO pass from the goal line) and the curiously wierd/timid (NOT using wild cat on 4th and short on critical 4th quarter drive - Green has been stopped for loss exactly once in dozens of attempts, also laying up for a fairly long field goal to pad a lead in the third).

Some of the time outs again seemed hasty/panicked.

The 4th quarter body language seemed a bit manic. Probably channeling some of the fans last night.

The defense still seeems a bit lost. Have to get the guys coached up on responsibilities/discipline. Ultimately that’s on PJ.

We won, so that’s a plus. I just don’t know what to make of this coach. C+/B- for me but only because the guys were able to execute on those gambles. If they went sideways...we’d be furious.

Top Bottom