[POST GAME THREAD] - Minnesota defeats Indiana 38-31

Hollinsanity

Reaction score
What’d ya think, Gopherhole?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always nice when we work ourselves into position to lose ... and don't.

JTG

It was a roller coaster. Glad it was tonight and now I can just enjoy football tomorrow without our game ruining the vibe...

Relieved we did snatch a defeat from the hands of victory. Ugly, and now we have to worry about multiple injuries to key players.

Bummed about Brooks. Not sure a non-contact knee injury can be anything other than really bad.

When we went 3 and out with the score tied..... here we go again

But we didn’t! We actually pulled it together, got a stop and then scored!!!!! Finally!!!!

Not happy they didn’t put the game away but am happy they found a way to win.

Brooks hurt. TJ hurt. Both maybe done for the year. Probably last win of the season.

Enjoy while it lasts I guess.

Anyone see TJ get hurt? I think Brooks is done and likely for his career. I can't see why he'd stick around to rehab again.

But I didn't see what happened to Johnson.

Brooks hurt. TJ hurt. Both maybe done for the year. Probably last win of the season.

You over-estimate Illinois. We can certainly win that and will have a fighting chance in the 2 home games.

My thoughts
Offense
QB: TM looked great in the first half. Clearly Indy adjusted and we did not in terms of playcalling. That home run was there all 2nd half and they waited damn long enough to go for it and thank god he hit it. Thought he did a great job and rallied the troops when they could've folded up (and almost did). A-/B+ game from him
RBs: Brooks was nice to see back with his running style (seems we won't get to see it again this year sadly based on how it looked). Absolutely embarrassing the number of balls they put on the grass. Unacceptable. Williams appeared very uncomfortable out there tonight. Given JFC or Edmonds some run. Gotta see what else is there if Ibrahim is out again.
WRs: we have 4 legit guys who can get open and beat the guy across from them. Need to start opening up the route chart (unsure if this is due to QB, or if this is just what they think they run best).
TEs: not much to say. Blocked pretty well for most part
OL: did a good job giving TM time to throw (sack was on Brooks). Really struggled to run block once the box was loaded, but to be expected as they were outmanned there. I was happy overall with their job

Defense
DL: some really really non-existant pass rush through most of the game. Capped by one highlight to end it which may shadow the utter disappointment that we saw for much of the game.
LBs: showing for flashes yet again. Some huge stops (Cash 3rd down stop) and some awful out of place plays both due to blitzes (Cashman looping blitz on Ind QB long 3rd down run late) and due to missed assignments/reads. Gotta get more consistent or we will get rocked in the mouth repeatedly by Wisconsin.
DBs: thought they overalll did ok. Seemed more flat footed on their turns when they were sitting which may have had something to do with the rain. But guys were sitting at an awkward depth (about 7 yards) where they didn't know when to turn and swivel hips to run vs when to sit on routes in the setting of dealing with wet footing. Made for some embarrassing times getting burned. Huff did a really nice job making some plays. Howden as well. But they all had their moments of poor play too. Need to be better
K: Carp did his thing. Was good to see him bounce back
P: that shank was at an utter disaster or a time. Got some good ones off as well.
ST: huge punt block. Decent returns and coverage. For god's sake can we stop muffing punts? seriously.

Coaching
PJ: has to stop wasting time outs. The pre going for it on 4th. If youre going to run it down and call TO, run up to the line and bark calls and try to get them to jump. Just makes no sense to do nothing and call time out. I don't know if he got conservative or if he goes hands off with the coordinators, but he almost let this one get away and it would've been a very very hard pill to swallow. Happy for him and the team they pulled this one off.
Ciarrocca: 1st half outstanding. Good mix. But you could feel towards end of half he was getting predictable on slants and IU was getting closer to jumping one. Oddly enough he continued and they did. Got hyper conservative in 2nd half. Missed some of the creative plays to keep IU off balance. B-/C+ game. Can't be too upset when 38 goes on the board
Smith: Just a weird game call from him. Defense bent but didn't break in first half. Then imploded in the 2nd half. Didn't adjust. Couldn't get pressure home. Had some weird looping blitzes with no one left to cover the QB run. I just feel like he's outmatched at this level. Solid D rating that's saved only by the turnovers.

Last edited:

This has probably been said by someone already, but.....in the second half, we played not to win; we played not to lose! If PJ gave those orders, then that is on him; if not, then Ciarocca gets all the blame....Why, why, why??? It almost cost us the ol' ball game!

You know something about TJ or talking out of your backside?

This has probably been said by someone already, but.....in the second half, we played not to win; we played not to lose! If PJ gave those orders, then that is on him; if not, then Ciarocca gets all the blame....Why, why, why??? It almost cost us the ol' ball game!

True certainly not refusing to lose for a while there.

Why did Brooks have 22 carries in his first game back? Really thought he would be on a touch count

Bummed about Brooks. Not sure a non-contact knee injury can be anything other than really bad.

Agree. Really bummed. The drop off from Brooks to anyone but Smith is huge. Brooks is so much quicker and so much more elusive and “violent” when he runs. Fleck has not recruited well at RB.

Agree. Really bummed. The drop off from Brooks to anyone but Smith is huge. Brooks is so much quicker and so much more elusive and “violent” when he runs. Fleck has not recruited well at RB.

you're basing this on what? half a season of Williams as a true freshman??

The injury to Brooks was not the the same leg as the one that was injured.

Bummed he's hurt.
Worried that might be it for 2018.

This x 100

Ibrahim looks pretty nice, IMO

Sports are crazy. That could have easily been a 45-9 game if Brooks doesn’t fumble that 2nd fumble. Could have been a 38-31 Indiana win too.

Blake Cashman is the definition of a stud.

You gotta give those young men a sh^tload of credit. Tanner Montana, I mean Morgan. Bateman, Coughlin, and how about Howden! He was awesome in that first half!

What a win!

you're basing this on what? half a season of Williams as a true freshman??

Based simply on what I see. Brooks was much better as a FR than Williams or Ibrahim. Of course Williams could and should improve.

I think I heard this team is young? Anyone else hear that?

Tonight seen freshmen make some plays and seen freshmen not make some plays.

They need to clean up he turnovers. I know a lot of hate for Robb Smith giving up the lead but the turnovers a huge part of it.

Top Bottom