What grade do you give Tanner Morgan in his first career start?

• A

Votes: 61 54.0%
  • B

Votes: 52 46.0%
  • C

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • D

• F

• Total voters

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

A-

Tanner Morgan is the first quarterback since Mitch Leidner in 2015 to throw for over 300 yards in a game.

One pick hurts the overall grade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A considering rain conditions, I thought Morgan was great.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

I'll give him an A because it was his first start as a redshirt freshman. Could he have not thrown the pic. Yep. Could he have been more efficient along the way. Yep. Did he go out and win us a game we were trying hard to blow? YEP. That's an A...

Looked damn good. The three TDs overshadow the interception. His mobility helped. He picked us up.

"A" from me.

JTG

Last edited:

He made quite a few good throws. Completed a deep ball. Had a couple that he fit into tight windows.
The Int was bad and he had a couple throws that were not on target. Gave him a B. Could even say a B+.

Gave him a B only because of the bad INT. Feel like he has a better feel for the pocket and doesn’t always stare down the receiver.

A easily- would've been an A+ if not for the INT. Then again I put some of that on the OC. You can't keep calling the same primary pattern- they jumped the last 3 or 4 slants and we were lucky to not have another pick against us. Good job Tanner! Look forward to seeing you next week.

71% 3 TDs and a clutch game winning drive gets an A. The interception was a forced pass and a bad decision but he gets the young QB pass. Seems capable of making all the throws. I love his body language and energy. Gamer.

He gets an A from me despite the INT.

A- Very few criticisms. The one bad pick. Also, I thought there were several times where a QB keep would have been nice gains and would have kept the defense a bit more honest. Maybe he was told not to run unless it is a broken play? I blame the poor 4th Qtr mostly on the fumble-itis and the terribly predictable play calling (RUTM 1, 2 and then pass on 3rd and long). Morgan was GREAT today for a freshman QB.

I don't know how anyone could give him less than an "A."

A- Very few criticisms. The one bad pick. Also, I thought there were several times where a QB keep would have been nice gains and would have kept the defense a bit more honest. Maybe he was told not to run unless it is a broken play? I blame the poor 4th Qtr mostly on the fumble-itis and the terribly predictable play calling (RUTM 1, 2 and then pass on 3rd and long). Morgan was GREAT today for a freshman QB.

Agreed on keeping the ball to run but Seth Green was coming in if he got hurt

I voted B, only because of the INT, but compared to our history of QB's he was an A tonight.

I don't know how anyone could give him less than an "A."

Simply because of the ill-time INT in 4th quarter on our end.
But yes, everything else was an A for sure.

B

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I watched him in practice this spring... he wasn't throwing those laser throws then... we sure it was him out there?????

Yep. A- for me too. He stared down the receiver last omg and hard, and didn’t see the LB sneaking in waiting for the throw.

Other than that ... may well have played himself into the starting role for the rest of the season. Gotta be the starter for Illinois this least. Please!? I like winning for a change.

A. Had the best passing QB game we’ve had under Fleck and should start next week at the very least regardless of the health of ZA.

B is above average and a very good grade....

In a game and a half, he's hitting at about 70% and has over 500 yards. Can't remember any Gopher QB after Wacker with stats like that. Good to know Annextad can pass, too.

If everything else is an A, wouldn’t that still average out to be an A overall? Is the int weighted differently than everything else?

A- (minus for the INT).

Playing in the rain, ball is wet, first game as a starter, is a freshman, kind of a must win game (pressure) and does very well. Being that the choice is basically an A or a B. I gave him an A (could have been a A- but no choice given there so didn't think about it). I'm hoping that we can get another look at him this coming Saturday.

B+ and I thought about an A-. The interception obviously, but more because he can run quite well and there was some yards to be had if he would kept the ball but he kept giving it up. Those ends and backers were crashing hard so he would have only the corner out there and even with that I be there he would have gotten 4-5 yards and could have kept a drive going at a time when it was desperately needed. Who knows, maybe the coaches told him to always give it?

I give him a great big rousing maroon-colored A, as man did he look composed out there, just about as calm and collected as could be. Highly impressive stuff for a kid's first collegiate start.

Top Bottom