I'm glad the defense is better than when Kill was head coach

From what I've seen both here and on social media, it's usually people who don't like Fleck that are saying things like Kill was never down 28-0 or that the defense under Kill was always so much better than what we're seeing now.

But you're right, regardless of what Kill did, this year's defense is bad and it's very disappointing.

Maybe so GII but Galty has been a proponent of Fleck and he started the Smith thread raising a lot of concern about the trend this year. I certainly don't dislike Fleck the man or coach but I have the same worries about Smith's history and capabilities to turn this around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kill's defenses allowed 40+ points to big 10 teams 3 times in years 2-5. This year we have equaled that wonderful mark.

Now you are choosing a subset of the data to create a convenient argument which defends Kill.
My point encompassed ALL games that Fleck and Kill had coached to try and draw the best comparison.
Most responders who refute my data have been trying to argue on subsets of the data which no doubt favor Kill over Fleck, while at the same time ignore that data that has Fleck over Kill.

If you want to argue Kill or Fleck, there is countless subsets of data you can choose from to make that point, but it's less comprehensive of what I posted.
Someone who wants to defend Fleck over Kill could also choose smaller sets of data to make the argument look better for Fleck than his advantage he currently shows.
(Adjusted for the higher scoring football across the NCAA today would be the first option which would look much worse for Kill).

My data does not say this is a good defense, but the data does show it's not worse than Kill as a whole which is opposite of what we've read this week.

Your argument is that for some of the worst games it is worse which for some of the games it is worse. But in it's entirety they are very similar with a current edge to Fleck.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/M1owcncKCHg" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Now you are choosing a subset of the data to create a convenient argument which defends Kill.
My point encompassed ALL games that Fleck and Kill had coached to try and draw the best comparison.
Most responders who refute my data have been trying to argue on subsets of the data which no doubt favor Kill over Fleck, while at the same time ignore that data that has Fleck over Kill.

If you want to argue Kill or Fleck, there is countless subsets of data you can choose from to make that point, but it's less comprehensive of what I posted.
Someone who wants to defend Fleck over Kill could also choose smaller sets of data to make the argument look better for Fleck than his advantage he currently shows.
(Adjusted for the higher scoring football across the NCAA today would be the first option which would look much worse for Kill).

My data does not say this is a good defense, but the data does show it's not worse than Kill as a whole which is opposite of what we've read this week.

Your argument is that for some of the worst games it is worse which for some of the games it is worse. But in it's entirety they are very similar with a current edge to Fleck.

Maybe that's b/c PJ is an offensive coach and leaves the D alone.:clap:

The last two or three seasons under Kill/Claeys the Gopher defense was ranked high nationally - like 23rd or so. And they were playing some really good teams, highly ranked, and often on the road (2015: @Ohio St #1, @Iowa #8, @NW #16, plus TCU #2 and Michigan #15 at home. 2014: @Wisconsin #14, @Nebraska #21, Ohio St #8 at home, vs. Missouri #16 in bowl; 2016: Iowa was #16 late in season, Wisconsin #5 when we played them, Nebraska 21st, and Washington State had been in the top 25 near the end of the season.

The last two or three seasons under Kill/Claeys the Gopher defense was ranked high nationally - like 23rd or so. And they were playing some really good teams, highly ranked, and often on the road (2015: @Ohio St #1, @Iowa #8, @NW #16, plus TCU #2 and Michigan #15 at home. 2014: @Wisconsin #14, @Nebraska #21, Ohio St #8 at home, vs. Missouri #16 in bowl; 2016: Iowa was #16 late in season, Wisconsin #5 when we played them, Nebraska 21st, and Washington State had been in the top 25 near the end of the season.

But the offense lacked and Kill/Claeys were 2-19 vs ranked teams, including 0-6 in years 1-2. Fleck is 0-4 right now.

In the end the two staffs are basically the same through equal games.

But the offense lacked and Kill/Claeys were 2-19 vs ranked teams, including 0-6 in years 1-2. Fleck is 0-4 right now.

The topic wasn't records or wins- the topic was defensively how kills and Pjs teams compared

Yes: if PJ had Kill's defense or Kill had had PJ's offense, we'd all be a lot happier now. Weird how that goes. Warmath was another great defensive coach who was very conservative and predictable on offense and (in that era, especially) didn't pass much.

I'd assume for an extra million plus per year, there wouldn't be much comparison. Guess you don't get what you pay for.

All games because all games matter.
If Fresno had dropped 70 on the Gophers would it be fair to pull that from that sample?

If there is one thing I have learned on GH is that all games apparently don’t matter.
9* wins

Well at least we can all agree that Robb Smith is consistent ?

The OP isn’t saying the current defense is good, he is just trying to put it into perspective with Kill’s early defense.
Remember back when Kill took over a defense that was so slow that the scorers would post the TD as soon as runners broke free? He had to restock the defense with young players and coach them up. Those that claim that Kill had weak talent on D, especially DB must not have been following the NFL drafts.
Remember back when PJ took over a defense that had a DB core decimated by scandal and only a few D lineman? He had to restock the defense with young players.
It is ridiculous to try and compare this year’s D with the last Kill years that had experienced upperclassmen. Those are true freshman DB’s that were getting beat on those deep ball TD’s.
I sure hope that the D will improve, there are some good signs and some bad signs, but it is too early to tell. Remember that even an 0-6 Nebraska team that consistently has one of the better recruiting classes in the B1G West has talent. If you miss your assignment or in the are wrong place (or coached to be in the wrong place) you will pay for it against a team as fast as Nebraska.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We are comparing trend lines. Year 1 to 2. That’s the only applicable concept. Maybe Robb gets things turned around. So far it’s been going sideways to down.

This year is Kill's defense:

Barber
Coughlin
Cushman
Jacob Huff
Durr
Devers
Julian Huff
Martin
Sherault
Olson
Moore
Winfield
Delattiboudere
Renner

Fleck may put together a defense in the future.

Kill is gone, right? Or did he come back and I missed it? Is that why we keep talking about him?

I know people hate it, but they only hate it because it kills their arguments.

Through an equal number of games, Kill and Fleck had the program at similar levels. However, Fleck inherited a 9 win team and a way better FR class (Coughlin, Johnson, Winfield, K. Martin, Barber, Green, M. Jackson C. Olson, K. Thomas, G. Wright). For a little perspective, the best players from the FR class Kill inherited were Brock Vereen, D. Kirkwood, and James Manuel - go ahead, look at the 2010 class try to tell me that Kill had the luxury of inheriting our 2016 recruiting class.

I am really astonished that any Gopher fan would argue that Kill inherited a much worse situation than Fleck. To me, it wasn't even close. I remember sitting at TCF towards the end of the Brewster regime.

Fleck and Kill, through their first season in a half had the programs at similar positions, however that should be critique on Fleck. Kill inherited a disaster. Fleck inherited an ok program.

I know people hate it, but they only hate it because it kills their arguments.

Through an equal number of games, Kill and Fleck had the program at similar levels. However, Fleck inherited a 9 win team and a way better FR class (Coughlin, Johnson, Winfield, K. Martin, Barber, Green, M. Jackson C. Olson, K. Thomas, G. Wright). For a little perspective, the best players from the FR class Kill inherited were Brock Vereen, D. Kirkwood, and James Manuel - go ahead, look at the 2010 class try to tell me that Kill had the luxury of inheriting our 2016 recruiting class.

I am really astonished that any Gopher fan would argue that Kill inherited a much worse situation than Fleck. To me, it wasn't even close. I remember sitting at TCF towards the end of the Brewster regime.

Fleck and Kill, through their first season in a half had the programs at similar positions, however that should be critique on Fleck. Kill inherited a disaster. Fleck inherited an ok program.

No he didn't.

Fleck also inherited the disastrous 2014 and 2015 recruiting classes, which is the reason for the struggles. Those classes put the program back in Brewster level shape.

No he didn't.

Fleck also inherited the disastrous 2014 and 2015 recruiting classes, which is the reason for the struggles. Those classes put the program back in Brewster level shape.

KHH, Beck, Craighton left under PJ. Umlor looked serviceable at DE last year and is being redshirted. No JUCO recruits on defense outside of Silver in the first two classes unless I’m mistaken (correct me if wrong)

Excuses are starting to run out. Poor discipline isn’t Kill’s fault.

KHH, Beck, Craighton left under PJ. Umlor looked serviceable at DE last year and is being redshirted. No JUCO recruits on defense outside of Silver in the first two classes unless I’m mistaken (correct me if wrong)

Only Zo has anything to do with the recruiting classes I mentioned. Where did he end up again?? Nice pivot job.

Once again, GWG with a clunky pivot. Cue the personal dig in 3...2...1...

How long are excuses good for.

Like, if before game one you say "We are young" and you say it weekly, is it no longer valid after you say it 6 weeks in a row because everyone is 6 weeks older?

Kill inherited 3-4 top 40 classes. Kill never had a top 50 class.

Also, last game before Kill took over, the Gophers beat a ranked team not named Nebraska. That hasn't happened since.
i know, that's Fleck's fault too.

No he didn't.

(1) Yes, he did.

(2) 2015 wasn't good. 2014 class though? They would all be fifth year seniors. This class includes Gary Moore, Jon Celestin, Jared Weyler, Steve Richardson, and Rodney Smith. It is infinitely better than than 2010 class Kill inherited (WAY better than the 2009 class as a whole as well).

You Flecksters really do forget that people have memories. That 2014 class played a prominent role on a 9 win team. We get it, hated Fleck but c'mon, this narrative is not the hill to die on.

How long are excuses good for.

Like, if before game one you say "We are young" and you say it weekly, is it no longer valid after you say it 6 weeks in a row because everyone is 6 weeks older?

Kill inherited 3-4 top 40 classes. Kill never had a top 50 class.

Also, last game before Kill took over, the Gophers beat a ranked team not named Nebraska. That hasn't happened since.
i know, that's Fleck's fault too.

I know you people are obsessed with recruiting rankings.

But please look at the 2010 class (horrendous), the 2009 class (slightly better than horrendous), and the 2008 class (pretty average).

Kill never had a class as bad as the 2010 class. His worst classes were about the same as the 2009 class.

I get it, you are more interested in stars and dots than wins. That whole obsession with stars and dots makes some sense when looking into the future results, but when looking at the past. You are still saying Kill inherited 3-4 top 40 classes? Wow.

(1) Yes, he did.

(2) 2015 wasn't good. 2014 class though? They would all be fifth year seniors. This class includes Gary Moore, Jon Celestin, Jared Weyler, Steve Richardson, and Rodney Smith. It is infinitely better than than 2010 class Kill inherited (WAY better than the 2009 class as a whole as well).

You Flecksters really do forget that people have memories. That 2014 class played a prominent role on a 9 win team. We get it, hated Fleck but c'mon, this narrative is not the hill to die on.

(1) No he didn't.

(2) 2014 and the 2015 classes would have been SR's and RS JR's in Flecks 1st season, and RS SR's, SR's, or RS JR's this season. Only 41% of those classes finished their careers here or remain on the roster. Yes, there were some good players in those classes, but that's an extremely low rate. And some of those good players have been injured most of this season.

Kill inherited a higher percentage of Brewster's 2008 and 2009 classes, which would have been mostly upperclassmen in Kill's first two seasons. 2010 was bad, but they were still just underclassmen.

I know you don't want to believe that Kill could have left a roster with issues on Brewsters level, but that in fact is reality. Hell, I think Kill even had at least had 5 OL to practice with his first spring here. I bet Fleck wishes he would have had that last spring.

Wow. Just wow. You really like to skew you some data, don't you. You're arguments to look at the data in total are strong. You're arguments not to consider that the data is made up of sub-sets is just plain wrong. This, my friends is where fake news comes from. What's he old saying? Figures Lie and Liars figure. And of course, one of my all time favorite - "There are three kinds of lies - Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics" - Mark Twain.

Why would it be important to consider Non-conf. games as a subset vs. big ten games?
  • Because the quality or lake thereof in the non-conf. schedules could skew the data. Fleck's teams have not played D-1AA teams, Kill's did.
  • At the time, the Gophers played 4 Non-Conf. games under kill, and Fleck's squad's have played only three each season
  • Since Fleck plays one more Big Ten game than Kill, understanding the differences would be important
  • In the big ten season, 6 of the opponents are common which provides a more stable base of data for comparison. While the team strengths/weaknesses fluctuate from season to season, the general status of the pecking order of teams has changed very little, aside from Nebraska.

To lump it all into one bucket and call it good is misleading at best, deceitful at worst. I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt on this one in that you just don't know better, so this should help you. One other point, you did not specify, but my guess, based on your simple use of aggregate stats to prove your point, you used Kill's data in total for two years. In this look I'm comparing the first 20 games between both coaches - "apples to apples" or the best approximation of that goal possible, showing their progress through 20 games into their status as Head Coach. Note, the data will be shown Kill first, as his coaching tenure was first.

Let's look at the data, shall we?

Through 20 games,:

Average Points given up in aggregate:

Kill: 28.3
Fleck: 25.3

Fleck is giving up a full 3 points per game less than Kill through 20 games. Worse than your skewed numbers show.

Median Points given up in aggregate:

Kill: 28
Fleck: 30

Interesting. Perhaps there is more to these numbers?

The max given up in points per game during this time:

Kill: 58
Fleck: 53

The min given up in points per game during this time:

Kill: 7
Fleck: 3

So in total, the numbers show that Fleck's defenses, overall, look positive when compared to Kill's

When comparing the totals for Non-Conf. vs. Big Ten, some similarities also pop out between the two (mind you not discounting the numbers or removing them, just looking at them in like context)

Average points given up:

Kill, 21.8 Non-conf, 32.6 Big Ten
Fleck, 8.5 Non-conf, 32.4 Big Ten

Breaking it out thusly shows a clear advantage for Fleck in the Non-con. schedule and roughly equal in the Big Ten. Useful to your argument. Until, that is you dig a little deeper.

So, let's compare year 1 vs. year 2 - for kicks and giggles, because in their lies the trends.

Average Points per game:

Kill: 2011, 31.7; 2012, 23.1
Fleck: 2017, 22.8; 2018 28.9

Kill, 11 Non-Conf, 26.8; 12 non-conf, 16.8
Fleck, 17 non-conf, 8.0; 18 non-conf 9.0

Kill 11 Big Ten, 34.1; 12 Big Ten 29.5
Fleck 17 Big Ten, 27.4; 18 Big Ten 40.5

The data shows that year one under Kill, our defense was much worse than Fleck's year one. However, Kill's defense improved significantly in year 2 as measured by average points allowed by 26.97% while Fleck's teams performance was worse by 26.46% in year two. This helps to explain the relatively flat comparison when taken in aggregate and why further diving in to numbers is always a good idea.

When looking at Non-conf numbers, Kill's teams improved significantly in year 2, improving by 37.38%. Fleck's teams were worse by 13%. It's important to note that while a significant percentage decrease in performance, Fleck's delta was only 1.0 points per game. When starting off as low as they did, the percentage can be misleading.

It's in the Big Ten where the data really shows a difference in trend. Kill's teams improved by 13.55%. Fleck's teams have regressed by 46.88% giving up 13 more points per game in year 2.

One more look here on points given up per game, is to break the data into quartiles for evaluation. This look could be done in different ways, but I chose quartiles vs. terciles or quintiles primarily given that this breaks up the data, at the end of the year into first and second halves of the season, which could prove to be interesting in understanding the data, the impact on the length of the season. Particularly for the narrative that Fleck's teams are so young, we might see a decline as the youth wears down against older, and as the argument goes, more physically mature players on the older teams we play. At this point, it breaks things out into four groups of five games, with a split in Q3 between the end of the First season and the beginning of the second. This does allow for some adjustment between the end of Season one and beginning of season two for Fleck given the last two games of the 17 season.

So, here's the data for Kill and Fleck. There are four data point per quartile and are showed in this order, avg points allowed, median points allowed, Max, Min

Kill:
Q1 33.0, 28, 58, 23
Q2 36.0, 41, 45, 21
Q3 18.4, 23, 28, 7
Q4 25.6, 28, 38, 10

Fleck
Q1 17.2, 14, 31, 3
Q2 23.6, 21, 33, 17
Q3 19.4, 14, 39, 3
Q4 40.8, 42, 53, 30

This is an interesting look, but given the way the data is split right now, this isn't as clear as it will be at the seasons end. There are trends in the data that are evident, however, that should become more interesting again, once the season has played out. Comparing Q1 and Q3 vs. each other and Q2 and Q4 vs. each other is perhaps the best way to look at this data and Q1 and Q3 include all of the Non-conf games with 1 Big Ten game for Kill and 2 for Fleck each, and Q2 and Q4 being only conf. games. There are some obvious trends visible in this data, although again, this becomes more interesting after the end of this season.

I have hypothesis about why we see what we see here, but I'll keep those to myself and let you draw your own conclusions on 37Scores claims that Flecks defenses are equal to Kills in their first two years. I will say the data does not support that assertion looking at it in several ways other than simply aggregate average points scored.

One other aspect I looked at is the YDs/Game given up. When complete, I added in the Offensive yards delivered. The was to consider the impact of an effective or ineffective offense on defensive statistics. Once completed I added the disparity between yards given up on defense vs. the yards gained on offense as a measure of effectiveness in the game plan.

Average Yards Allowed

Aggregate of first 20 games
Kill 364.4
Fleck 366.5

Median Yards allowed
Kill 373
Fleck 373

interesting!

Most yards allowed
Kill: 580
Fleck: 659

Least yards allowed
Kill: 160
Fleck: 199

Avg Year 1/Year 2
Kill 392.2/322.6
Fleck 346.7/396.1

Non-Conf/Big Ten
Kill 313.8/398.1
Fleck 247.7/417.4

Non Con Year 1/Year 2
Kill 350.5/277.0
Fleck 239/256.3

Big Ten Year 1/Year 2
Kill 413/368.3
Fleck 382.6/480

Again, the data is clear here that the stats for Kill's defenses improve across the board. Fleck's get worse, across the board. To suggest that the defenses under Kill and Fleck are similar through 20 games is not supported by the data.

For fun, I also did a quick dive through the offense:

Average aggregate Points scored and yards gained per game
Kill 20.4/319.8
Fleck 22.6/338

Pretty similar numbers in aggregate. You'll notice I'm not claiming the offenses were the same.....

Digging deeper

Aggregate Median
Kill 19
Fleck 23

Aggregate Highest score
Kill 44
Fleck 48

Aggregate Lowest Score
Kill 0
Fleck 0

Kill once, Fleck twice

Avg points Year 1/Year 2
Kill 18.4/23.3
Fleck 19.3/27.4

avg points Non Conf/Big Ten
Kill 26.3/16.4
Fleck 32.3/18.4

Non-conf points Year 1/Year 2
Kill 22.8/29.8
Fleck 33.0/31.7

Qualifier - it is arguable that Fleck's Non-Conf year 2 was much more difficult than Non-Conf year 1 given injuries to MTS and the melt down going on under Gary Anderson in OSU. While Kill did open against #25 USC in year 1, that loss was close and low scoring for both teams and did not skew the numbers offensively or defensively.

Big Ten Year 1/Year 2
Kill 16.3/16.8
Fleck 14.8/24.8

Here is where we see real separation in offensive performance to date with suggestions in the upcoming foe's for Fleck this year give the opportunity to at least maintain or improve on the numbers to date.

Quartile Look on offense, again, Avg Points, Median Points, highest game total, lowest game total

Kill
Q1 18.2, 21, 29, 0
Q2 18.0, 17, 24, 13
Q3 28.4, 28, 44, 13
Q4 16.8, 13, 28, 13

Fleck
Q1 28.0, 24, 48, 17
Q2 18.4, 21, 27, 10
Q3 19.0, 21, 48, 0
Q4 24.8, 28, 38, 13

While Fleck's offense has room to grow, it is significantly better than Kills was at this point which may suggest that the defense doesn't need to be equal to Kill's in order to have more success on the field. How much of a drop-off can occur is not yet known.

In the end, we hired Fleck to do better than Jerry Kill. This data suggests on one hand, he's doing much better offensively than Kill did, so, to date, that's working as planned. On defense, however, the data shows a team that is getting significantly worse through 20 games, not better. And the decrease in performance in terms of yards and points is, in fact, huge when looking at the trends and the most recent results.

Main point, 37Score, your assertion that the defenses are similar is just plain uninformed and ignoring the available data to compare the results. Because you refused to look at anything other than the aggregate, you either knew the data showed you were flat wrong, but choose to try and hide behind shoddy statistical analysis OR, most likely, you just stopped when you found data that supported your argument, like most of the people in this country.

Recruiting classes aside, the loss of Winfield early in the season for two consecutive seasons has been absolutely devastating. An All-B1G player at a position that was thinned out by some off-field extra-curriculars. One of the biggest problems for the defense the last two years has been big plays, which would have been majorly mitigated by an experienced Safety like Winfield

Top Bottom