STrib: Don't count P.J. Fleck among those surprised at Gophers' struggles

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Randy:

For Fleck, the results aren’t unexpected. He is trying to build the program through recruiting and developing, rather than attempting the quick-fix remedy of mining junior-college talent.

“We said Year 2 was going to be very difficult,” Fleck said on his KFXN-FM radio show this week. “We’re going to be very young, very inexperienced. Some people are shocked. I’m not sure why they’re shocked. We said that.”

On growth and patience

Fleck’s building plan requires patience. That’s a tough sell to a fanbase that hasn’t seen a Big Ten football champion since 1967.

To show progress for the rest of the season, the Gophers first must fix what ails them most: a defense that has allowed an average of 43.3 points and 503.8 yards in Big Ten play. Only Illinois has worse defensive stats.

Nebraska amassed 10 plays of 20 yards are longer, and defensive coordinator Robb Smith said the struggles are “100 percent on me.” Fleck said he has “100 percent faith in every single one of our coaches.”

On offense, the Gophers start seven true freshmen or redshirt freshmen, and the youngsters are developing. Quarterback Zack Annexstad has started every game, while backup Tanner Morgan gave the team a spark in the second half at Nebraska when Annexstad was injured. Rashod Bateman is the team’s second-leading receiver, and Chris Autman-Bell is a solid third option. Running back Mohamed Ibrahim has two 100-yard rushing games. And guard Blaise Andries and massive tackle Daniel Faalele anchor the right side of the line.

“Tell me what freshman [who is] playing and you sit there and say, ‘Man, he is awful,’ ” Fleck said on KFXN.

Fleck pointed to his team’s incremental development, and then asked for that precious commodity of patience.

“We want to be here a very, very long time. We want to make sure that we can give something to Minnesota that they haven’t had a in a very long time,” Fleck said. “To get something that you haven’t had in over 50-some years, you can’t just sit there and say, ‘OK, we’re going to do this one way and it should work tomorrow.’ There’s a whole process.

“I know people are frustrated and I know people are upset. I get it, and I respect everybody’s opinion … it tells me they care.’’

http://www.startribune.com/don-t-co...ose-surprised-at-gophers-struggles/498597441/

Go Gophers!!

“Tell me what freshman [who is] playing and you sit there and say, ‘Man, he is awful,’ ” Fleck said on KFXN.

I can think of at least one, but don't care to bash them here.

I can think of at least one, but don't care to bash them here.

I can think of one who is a "project". Not his fault he has to play now however.

He’s right, at least people being pissed off or frustrated shows that they care. Apathy would be much worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The media picked them to finish 12th out of 14 teams. All fans should have accepted this and expected the team to get steamrolled throughout the conference season.

Top Bottom