Sid Hartman honored, inducted into Minnesota Sports Hall of Fame (video)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per STrib:

An enterprising boy who once upon a time sneaked into new Memorial Stadium and watched leather-helmeted Gophers star Bronko Nagurski run the football, Star Tribune columnist Sid Hartman was inducted Wednesday night into the revived Star Tribune Minnesota Sports Hall of Fame, fewer than five months shy of his 99th birthday.

So soon?

The lone inductee to the Hall’s first class since 2006, Hartman was honored by about 500 close, personal friends at the second Minnesota Sports Awards on the field at U.S. Bank Stadium.

He joins 72 other inductees in the Minnesota Sports Hall of Fame. Nagurski, George Mikan, Patty Berg and Bernie Bierman were among its inaugural class 60 years ago and more recently Kirby Puckett, Sandy Stephens. Dorothy McIntyre and Rod Carew.

Those last four inductees and six others were in the Minnesota Sports Hall of Fame’s last class in 2006 before it went dark for 12 years. It returned with Wednesday’s event that drew those 500 people for dinner, drinks and a program that honored high school, college and pro athletes and coaches.

Friday's Gophers game and that 21,000th byline await Sid, somewhere out there.

“There’s nothing next,” Hartman said. “As long as my health is good and I’m in good shape, I’ll keep on doing the WCCO stuff and I’ll keep on doing the Star Tribune. … My life is good. I enjoy what I’m doing. I’m lucky so far I’m able to do all this stuff.”

http://www.startribune.com/sid-hart...into-minnesota-sports-hall-of-fame/498480091/

Go Gophers!!

Congratulations to one heck of a Minnesota fan!

Would have thought he was already in. I hope he is still writing at 100.

I know we poke fun of Sid at times, but there is no bigger ambassador of Gopher sports, and MN sports than Sid. CONGRATS SID!

A true Minnesota legend! What an awesome career.

Top Bottom