Coffey as the Gophers' PG? Talented and versatile junior is trying a new role

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

Will Coffey be the U’s point guard in the season opener Nov. 6 against Nebraska Omaha? Maybe or maybe not, but one thing seems clearer by the day. He’ll have the ball a lot more this year.

“Amir, if he wants to be an NBA player now it comes down to his skill level where he can dribble, pass, shoot and make decisions,” Pitino said. “He can do that. I believe he’ll play in the NBA at some point. I love his mentality right now. He’s competing. He has that look of a guy who wants to take the next step as a basketball player.”

From all accounts of practice, Coffey’s making strides as a floor leader and primary ball handler. Bringing the ball up under pressure and orchestrating the offense are things he’ll need to pick up with more opportunities in actual game action.

The last time Coffey played even some “point-forward” was during a standout career at Hopkins High. Royals coach Ken Novak Jr. says Coffey’s vision and passing ability are his biggest strengths.

“We wanted him to get the ball and good things would take place,” Novak said. “The biggest problem with Amir is what I saw last year is there were too many times when he doesn’t have the ball. It’s not so much whether he brings it up, but it’s so he has the ball and can make decisions. Amir makes great decisions. He’s a phenomenal passer. As a matter of fact, I think his passing ability is his best strength. He’s got vision of a great point guard. He’s got size, but it’s a matter of just giving him the ball in positions where he can make decisions and put pressure on the defense.”

http://www.startribune.com/amir-cof...satile-junior-is-trying-a-new-role/498431192/

Go Gophers!!

I certainly trust him there a lot more than McBrayer, hope he can figure it out.

Coffey is not a point guard. Coffey is a very good passer and facilitator in a half court set. With his size and passing ability he is a great asset to help break a press. I don’t want to see Coffey bringing the ball up against a team that pressures the ball.

Coffey is not a point guard. Coffey is a very good passer and facilitator in a half court set. With his size and passing ability he is a great asset to help break a press. I don’t want to see Coffey bringing the ball up against a team that pressures the ball.

Those Tubby years are really burned into our brains aren’t they? Haha. I can’t remember a time where we’ve really had that problem under Pitino and I’m not sure we’ll see a full court press all that often in conference play. Breaking a press is more about quick passing and player movement than a PG breaking down a defender off the dribble anyway. Who knows if Amir will play point full time (though I am a fan of the idea) but there’s no denying he has the skill to do it.

When has he shown the skill to do it? Teams with quick point guards would pick him up full court and make him work to get the ball up court. Davison would hound him. Winston. Palmer etc...

The biggest problem with Coffey last year was getting injured

When has he shown the skill to do it? Teams with quick point guards would pick him up full court and make him work to get the ball up court. Davison would hound him. Winston. Palmer etc...

I think anyone that has watched Amir play basketball knows he has the skill to do it. How well is a different story but can he play point? Without a doubt. The last thing teams will want to do against the Gophers is speed them up especially Wisconsin.

He has the skill to do. How well is a different story.. Great analogy.

Don't like it. We need him at small forward.

Also not a ringing endorsement of the offseason progress (or lack thereof) by IW.

Don't like it. We need him at small forward.

Also not a ringing endorsement of the offseason progress (or lack thereof) by IW.
From what I read, the problem Washington is having is being able to play defense. He's presently a liability. If we were only talking offense, Washington would run the team. If Coffey takes the point, we have a better defensive team.

He has the skill to do. How well is a different story.. Great analogy.

Im sorry I can’t pull up the Creighton tape for you. Reality is Amir is a 6’8 point guard and he has been since he was at Hopkins. I’m not sure how someone watches him play and thinks the way to maximize his talent is to play him off the ball. D’Angelo Russell was a similar case to Amir and had no problem playing point in the Big Ten despite not being a great ball handler.

Amir can get the ball into the front court just fine he can dribble or he can beat a trap with a pass...his main problem would be getting into the paint once the offense and defenses are set

Amir is 6’8 and never played point guard at the U or Hopkins? I hope he can play point but IMO I am skeptical. We will obviously see. D’Angelo Russell has handles part of his problem is he dribbles too much.

Im sorry I can’t pull up the Creighton tape for you. Reality is Amir is a 6’8 point guard and he has been since he was at Hopkins. I’m not sure how someone watches him play and thinks the way to maximize his talent is to play him off the ball. D’Angelo Russell was a similar case to Amir and had no problem playing point in the Big Ten despite not being a great ball handler.

Do you think they are playing him at point to maximize his talent? Or out of necessity to do what is best for the team because of the point guard situation? Hello...

I’d actually compare him more to Evan Turner who was basically Ohio St’s PG his final season there. They also won the B1G that season.

I’d actually compare him more to Evan Turner who was basically Ohio St’s PG his final season there. They also won the B1G that season.

Not a bad comp as both guys have excellent size and passing ability, but Amir a much better athlete than Evan Turner is/was.

I chuckled at the D'Angelo comp tho. About the only thing those two have in common is being light skinned and left handed.

From what I read, the problem Washington is having is being able to play defense. He's presently a liability. If we were only talking offense, Washington would run the team. If Coffey takes the point, we have a better defensive team.

That makes me even more concerned. When we are matched up against a quick, penetrating PG, who is going to guard him??

That makes me even more concerned. When we are matched up against a quick, penetrating PG, who is going to guard him??
I don't think Washington is a bad defender when he's defending on ball. His weakness is off ball defense and help. He gets caught out of position and not knowing where to rotate.
Guys like Coffey and McBrayer are much better off ball defenders. It sounds like our freshmen have come in with solid defensive skills. Washington needs to up his game. This isn't New York playground anymore.

Keep in mind too this might have been a recruiting promise

Not a bad comp as both guys have excellent size and passing ability, but Amir a much better athlete than Evan Turner is/was.

The knock on Turner's athleticism was always relative...to the guys he was going to be drafted around. Like top end lottery picks. No, Amir is not more athletic than Evan Turner is/was. This is a great comparison if you like to dream about the best possible case for Amir this year.

I'd say below he's average on the ball too.
Where he struggles is with fighting through screens. If I recall correctly, he tended to want to slide under a pick rather than fight over the top. I'm trying to remember if Pitino has the other defender step out to stop ball or if he just requires the person being picked to fight through.
In any case, Washington's deficiency is on defense.

Where he struggles is with fighting through screens. If I recall correctly, he tended to want to slide under a pick rather than fight over the top. I'm trying to remember if Pitino has the other defender step out to stop ball or if he just requires the person being picked to fight through.
In any case, Washington's deficiency is on defense.

It's more than just off the ball. Guys shoot over him like he's not even there. Watch him.. he does this lazy ass street ball close out that does nothing.

The knock on Turner's athleticism was always relative...to the guys he was going to be drafted around. Like top end lottery picks. No, Amir is not more athletic than Evan Turner is/was. This is a great comparison if you like to dream about the best possible case for Amir this year.

Actually he is. Turner is slow and can't jump. Amir is a much better athlete and it isn't close.

Top Bottom