Shama: Ranking Big Ten coaches (11. P.J. Fleck, Minnesota)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

About halfway through Fleck’s second year at Minnesota his record in conference games is 2-11. His only two wins came last season against two underwhelming teams, Illinois and Nebraska. In nonconference games his record is 6-0, with those victories earned mostly against inferior opposition. Give Fleck, his assistant coaches and players credit for impressive performances in wins over Nebraska and Oregon State in 2017, and this season’s victory against Fresno State.

Team defense is now in alarm status. The Gophers were outscored 70-0 in their last two Big Ten games in 2017. In their four conference games this year they are giving up 43.5 points per game including a 53-28 loss to Nebraska last Saturday.

Fleck has gone overboard in emphasizing how young his roster is but the starters on defense are primarily juniors and seniors. Despite their experience, Minnesota defenders are often out of position or nowhere to be seen, as they allow opposing offenses to break off long gains. Defensive coordinator Robb Smith, who according to a college football insider was forced out at Arkansas before being hired by Fleck, should be under scrutiny.

Fleck and staff have improved the offense, including by bringing in young talent such as true freshmen quarterback Zack Annexstad and wide receiver Rashod Bateman. Fleck has done well in national recruiting rankings and been tireless in talking about his vision to make the Minnesota program “elite.”

But the Gophers have to stop giving up easy scores and start winning conference games. The program was 5-4 in Big Ten games the season prior to Fleck’s arrival in January 2017. Minnesota had winning records in the Big Ten in two of the three seasons prior to Fleck being hired.

The conference totals on wins and losses say the program is going backward. It’s up to Fleck and his staff to soon change that.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

13. Chris Ash, Rutgers. He was smart enough to hire Jerry Kill as offensive coordinator for one season in 2017 but Rutgers is one difficult place to coach. In Ash’s third season he has yet to show a lot and is likely to go winless in the Big Ten.

This one cracked me up. How was hiring a former head coach with severe health issues who had not been a coordinator in years a smart move? Plus it is not like the offense at Minnesota was anything special during the Kill years. The strength of those teams was easily the defense and by a pretty wide margin.

Hiring Kill to run the offense was a terrible decision and it blew up in his face when Kill had to once again step down for health reasons.

And for the sensitive soles I am not saying this to bash Kill, this is 100% directed at Shama for the dumb comment in his rankings.

He was smart enough to hire Jerry Kill as offensive coordinator

Yeah I love Jerry and all.... but that was a straight up STUPID hire.

Now I am no Shama fan, but I cannot recall him ever going after a Gopher coach like that.

Something was brewing on the defensive side before this year started. You don't lose 2 coaches after only one year. Either it was Fleck or Smith they had no faith in. Coaches don't bail after one year or they would be suspect for their career. It was mentioned on another post, that I agree with, that no one from his defensive staff came with him. They easily would have doubled their salary if they did. That was always a big red flag

Something was brewing on the defensive side before this year started. You don't lose 2 coaches after only one year. Either it was Fleck or Smith they had no faith in. Coaches don't bail after one year or they would be suspect for their career. It was mentioned on another post, that I agree with, that no one from his defensive staff came with him. They easily would have doubled their salary if they did. That was always a big red flag

Or maybe Fleck was trying to upgrade his defensive staff when coming here? Fleck's defense was average at Western Michigan. That defensive coordinator Fleck didn't bring with him is now at UMass. Rob Wegner who came with as the ST coach was also the DE coach at WM. Linguist returned to his home state and to a big time program at Texas A&M. Paup took a demotion to return to UNI. Plenty of assistant coaches jump around yearly in order to work their way up. But don't let facts get in the way of a good story.

It was mentioned on another post, that I agree with, that no one from his defensive staff came with him. They easily would have doubled their salary if they did. That was always a big red flag

Unless they were asked to come with Fleck to Minnesota and declined it isn’t a big red flag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or maybe Fleck was trying to upgrade his defensive staff when coming here? Fleck's defense was average at Western Michigan. That defensive coordinator Fleck didn't bring with him is now at UMass. Rob Wegner who came with as the ST coach was also the DE coach at WM. Linguist returned to his home state and to a big time program at Texas A&M. Paup took a demotion to return to UNI. Plenty of assistant coaches jump around yearly in order to work their way up. But don't let facts get in the way of a good story.

One last time. Paup returned home, his family never moved up to the cities. Plus his net worth is listed as 8+ million. Why separate yourself from your family working at a place where few care about what you are trying to do. Sad

Top Bottom