Fad of all-whites for road games...

Great Plains Gopher

Reaction score
Even LSU abandoned its longtime famous home uniform (actually an old road uniform) for all-whites Saturday. The fad is so widespread that visiting teams have no identity. Minnesota is universally called "Golden Gophers" by networks, media, yet our road unis are all-white or maroon and white. Let us be gold in at least one area: gold and white on the road. Better yet, let's win some road games.

It's awful. We have zero identity on the road and look so bland and mundane.

I wish this was a serious issue for us...

Anyway, you have to wear majority white (NCAA is racist) on the road unless both teams agree to swap who wears white ... obviously there are limits, but it's a road game.

Even LSU abandoned its longtime famous home uniform (actually an old road uniform) for all-whites Saturday. The fad is so widespread that visiting teams have no identity. Minnesota is universally called "Golden Gophers" by networks, media, yet our road unis are all-white or maroon and white. Let us be gold in at least one area: gold and white on the road. Better yet, let's win some road games.

LSU uniform was a tribute uniform (“Silent Season”) and it’s pretty rare they abandon their classic look.

Last edited:

I agree. Any combo with a maroon helmet looks good, while any combo with a white helmet looks generic. I'd even take gold helmet, maroon pants. Same as the hockey team's home look.

I think shiny gold helmet, white top, and maroon pants is a really nice road look.

IMO it’s the best set of all the ones the Gophers have.

It's anthacite tops on Friday night, right?

I thought it was Stalagtite tops with Stalegmite bottoms.

I thought we already had the Gopher fan demographic discussion - no need to differentiate between home and away fans.

I have no problem with the all-white uniforms, but why the "Minnesota" name on the back instead of the name of the player? Lots of new players and I don't know them by number. I hate anthracite!

I like maroon helmets and maroon pants, over the all-white, myself. Not a fan of all-white

I have no problem with the all-white uniforms, but why the "Minnesota" name on the back instead of the name of the player? Lots of new players and I don't know them by number. I hate anthracite!

That way PJ can use the old adage that the player has to recognize that the name “Minnesota” is far more important than any players name.

Yeah that is super annoying as a fan. Give me the names.

Yeah that is super annoying as a fan. Give me the names.

YES!!!!

Ugh, that is so stupid. Just leave the nameplates completely off if you want to go that route!! Otherwise, be normal and put the actual last names on the nameplates. Jeez

Yup, this is the right take. It's such a high school look

Yup, this is the right take. It's such a high school look

If they want to go further high school they should put the names across their butts like the words play hard on practice shorts. [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you have to wear majority white on the road unless both teams agree to swap who wears white

Obviously you have to wear white jerseys unless otherwise agreed upon, but you don't have to wear white helmets and white pants as well.

I can’t believe people actually get upset about costumes

Has anyone else noticed that they were wearing last year's road jerseys the last two weeks? They even had the brick pattern on the maroon. Obviously they had this year's jerseys since they wore them for NMSU (as opposed to NMSU that DIDN'T have this year's road jerseys). I hated the gold player names on them, but I wonder why they abandoned them? I'd think swapping the gold names for maroon would be easier then finding enough jerseys of the correct size for new players, players that changed sizes, etc. from last year. Just thought it was odd. I like them better (other than "Minnesota" player name - always thought that was cheesy).

Top Bottom