My 1 and only concern with Fleck

Yes I remember that and it was a good stat.
There was another stat which I'm not sure if I can dig up where it double digit games of the Gophers not scoring a TD on an opening drive.

There were stretches where I was willing to settle for a first down on the opening drive!

I've never coached college football and can't imagine how complex things are during a game, but I've coached large school high school football and can tell you that while adjustments get made constantly, the vast majority are done right away. Most things (maybe 80%) you already know based on film. About 10% you figure out based on the first two drives...this is things like how a defense will line up against certain formations like trips, how their OL will pass block when you show certain looks on D, whether they're manning up or spying a top O player, etc. Based on that, you make a few adjustments and decide how you want to attack moving forward. The other team will undoubtedly make some adjustments as well, so you continue fine-tuning throughout the game.

In college they've got an infinitely larger pool of schemes to dip into depending on situation, so I don't doubt that the adjustments continue deeper into the game, but it's not like halftime is for miracle working. You might draw something up on the board that's somewhat "new" to guys (or that they didn't practice that week), but if it's anything like high school it's simply a time to talk with position groups individually to emphasize how the other team is attacking them and what they should expect in the second half.

it does appear that we got another MAC coach that has the ability to create an upper echelon MAC team but lets just keep rowing and see what happens.

Fleck needs to hire a coach to establish a game plan and manager the game.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

I've never coached college football and can't imagine how complex things are during a game, but I've coached large school high school football and can tell you that while adjustments get made constantly, the vast majority are done right away. Most things (maybe 80%) you already know based on film. About 10% you figure out based on the first two drives...this is things like how a defense will line up against certain formations like trips, how their OL will pass block when you show certain looks on D, whether they're manning up or spying a top O player, etc. Based on that, you make a few adjustments and decide how you want to attack moving forward. The other team will undoubtedly make some adjustments as well, so you continue fine-tuning throughout the game.

In college they've got an infinitely larger pool of schemes to dip into depending on situation, so I don't doubt that the adjustments continue deeper into the game, but it's not like halftime is for miracle working. You might draw something up on the board that's somewhat "new" to guys (or that they didn't practice that week), but if it's anything like high school it's simply a time to talk with position groups individually to emphasize how the other team is attacking them and what they should expect in the second half.

Word.

JTG

Adjustments are usually about taking something away that the other team is doing successfully. Unfortunately, that means opening yourself up to creating new problems. Kill's philosophy was simple, play good defense and don't lose the game offensively. The halftime score analysis by other here is an excellent reminder. I'm not sure what Fleck's philosophy is? Outscore the other team? Protect the ball? (That seems neither too original or too effective, at least so far.) Play mediocre defense? Can someone help me here?

Adjustments are usually about taking something away that the other team is doing successfully. Unfortunately, that means opening yourself up to creating new problems. Kill's philosophy was simple, play good defense and don't lose the game offensively. The halftime score analysis by other here is an excellent reminder. I'm not sure what Fleck's philosophy is? Outscore the other team? Protect the ball? (That seems neither too original or too effective, at least so far.) Play mediocre defense? Can someone help me here?

Keep your oar in the water and keep rowing. :p

I think there was a Purdue game on the road that started 31-0. Might have been his first year though. I just remember it being really bad.

Edit: Found it. Were down 45-3 late in the 3rd quarter. http://www.espn.com/college-football/playbyplay?gameId=312812509#gp-playbyplay-31281250912

Kill in year 2, 2012

At Iowa down 24-0 at Half (Iowa was 4-8)
at Nebraska down 24-0 at Half (Nebraska was 10-4)

Big Ten Loss Margin in Year Two
Mason 17 PPG
Kill 19 PPG
Fleck 22 PPG through 4 games.

The OP listed a lot of responsibilities coaches have, and Fleck may have a lot of them. But I think even he has said he's not a big X's and O's guy. He hasn't been a coordinator. That's okay with me, as long as he's a great recruiter, leader, etc. But it means he better have really good assistants. If you're worried about in-game adjustments, I'm sure Fleck is relying completely on his coordinators. Fleck himself doesn't have to be great at that. But that means he better be willing to make coaching changes if, say -- oh, I don't know -- the defense, for example, looks absolutely lost game after game and half after half.

If you haven’t seen one thing you haven’t been watching. From shutout in most of the first half to scoring 28...certainly no adjustments were made though.

Seriously, in wins and losses constant adjustments are made in game drive to drive and even play to play by both teams in each game. This is true even at the high school level.

Last edited:

The OP listed a lot of responsibilities coaches have, and Fleck may have a lot of them. But I think even he has said he's not a big X's and O's guy. He hasn't been a coordinator. That's okay with me, as long as he's a great recruiter, leader, etc. But it means he better have really good assistants. If you're worried about in-game adjustments, I'm sure Fleck is relying completely on his coordinators. Fleck himself doesn't have to be great at that. But that means he better be willing to make coaching changes if, say -- oh, I don't know -- the defense, for example, looks absolutely lost game after game and half after half.

Please reference where this was said.

Please reference where this was said.

I'm not going to go back and look for a quote from Fleck, but his offensive coordinator made it clear that the offense is really his.

"I guess the best way to describe it is Coach is the leader of the family, he sets the culture in the program but he leaves the X's and O's to coach Pinkham and I," Ciarrocca said. "He leaves the system, how we want to go about planning and stuff to Ed and I."

https://www.mlive.com/broncos/index.ssf/2016/12/western_michigan_offensivedefe.html

Top Bottom