O'Gara: Is it time for Minnesota fans to have second thoughts about P.J. Fleck?

PJ Fleck is realizing that rebuilding a program in the Big Ten is more daunting than rebuilding a MAC program. There are simply so many leaks to fix in his boat. Unless he fixes them, Ski-U-Mah is Sunk-U-Mah at the moment.

Oh, he is going to do it. It just takes time, intestinal fortitude, and divine patience.

He is right on one thing. He has to out recruit the current talent if he wants to bring Gopher Football to the next level(s).

I don't know. It is just getting tiresome as a long suffering fan. How in the world did Purdue get so lucky that they were able to turn their program around so quickly? In fairness, Darrell Hazell left the larder stocked for Jeff Brohm.

2014 13th in Big Ten
2015 14th
2016 14th
2017 14th

They didn’t finish above 67th nationally in that stretch. Their defense has been functional since Nick Holt arrived. Their QB has made a big jump as a senior and Brohm is likely responsible for that. Recruiting has made a major jump under Brohm and he isn’t a rah rah guy.

It will be interesting to see how they finish out the year. Can they knock off the perennial west champs?

And here I thought it meant something like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"stated clearly and in detail, leaving no room for confusion or doubt ", point me to Coyle's explicit quote about firing Claeys for non-football reasons, and I'll shut up.

Because Claeys was so sold on Green that he signed a JUCO QB who was projected to start...

The rumors were rampant that Claeys was convinced Green wasn't capable of being the starter - under that system. Revisionist history now that he had confidence and he would have thrived is pretty funny. I'm absolutely not convinced Green would have been serviceable in that offense or any offense, other than the veer/wishbone maybe.

I really do wonder where this team would be at now with Claeys. I think based on his lack of recruiting and the players they have the results wouldn't be much different. But someone else can say they'd be winning national championships and I can't prove them wrong...

Yes, Neil McLaurin (who is now a wide receiver at Southern Miss). Claeys signed him right after Jordan Ta'amu opted to go to Ole Miss instead.

Yes, Neil McLaurin (who is now a wide receiver at Southern Miss). Claeys signed him right after Jordan Ta'amu opted to go to Ole Miss instead.

It's kinda rough when the argument for Claey's making good calls at the QB spot has that result..... I mean maybe he liked green but wanted more options, or didn't like him... I don't think the result would be much different.

Because Claeys was so sold on Green that he signed a JUCO QB who was projected to start...

<b>The rumors were rampant that Claeys was convinced Green wasn't capable of being the starter - under that system. </b>Revisionist history now that he had confidence and he would have thrived is pretty funny. I'm absolutely not convinced Green would have been serviceable in that offense or any offense, other than the veer/wishbone maybe.

I really do wonder where this team would be at now with Claeys. I think based on his lack of recruiting and the players they have the results wouldn't be much different. But someone else can say they'd be winning national championships and I can't prove them wrong...

I had never heard those rumors before your post. I think it was well known that SG17 was going to start. I took the McLaurin signing as an indictment on what TC thought about Demry as a backup, not what he thought of Green as a starter.

I had never heard those rumors before your post. I think it was well known that SG17 was going to start. I took the McLaurin signing as an indictment on what TC thought about Demry as a backup, not what he thought of Green as a starter.

Ditto.

Top Bottom