P.J. Fleck admits Scott Frost 'outcoached' Minnesota staff

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Crawford:

Nebraska might have six losses in seven games this season, but the Huskers aren't lacking for quality coaches, according to Minnesota coach P.J. Fleck.

After packing up from Lincoln following Saturday's 53-28 loss, Fleck praised Nebraska's attention to detail and game plan before shifting the focus to Nebraska's staff.

“These guys are really good coaches, you think those guys don’t know that?” he said. “You think Scott Frost didn’t know that? Did you see how their runs were designed to funnel to certain people? That’s how you do it as a coach. I got outcoached.”

Effort and talent level has been questioned at times, but the Huskers aren't losing due to schematic disadvantages. Nebraska piled up 659 yards of total offense and converted 8-of-12 third down ties against the Gophers, routinely staying on the field and wearing out Minnesota's defense.

Freshman quarterback Adrian Martinez was near flawless, going 25-of-29 for 276 yards and three scores while also rushing for 125 yards and a touchdown. Nebraska's flexibility in the passing game opened rushing lanes throughout the game, leading to another monster effort from Devine Ozigbo (152 yards, two touchdowns on 12 carries).

Maurice Washington also passed the century mark for the first time in his career, finishing with 109 yards on the ground. Considering Minnesota had given up just 92 yards rushing to then second-ranked Ohio State the previous week, Nebraska's rushing dominance was somewhat unexpected, a testament to Frost's preparation level.

“I said at the beginning of the week this team (Nebraska) should be 5-1, 4-2,” Fleck said. “They’ve lost on some real strange oddity-type plays. They’re very dangerous on offense, which everybody got a chance to see. Talk about No. 2, talk about the two wideouts, talk about the running back. We didn’t stop them tonight at all. We didn’t come close to stopping them. We didn’t tackle well. We didn’t set an edge.”

https://247sports.com/Article/Nebra...leck-says-Minnesota-was-outcoached-123696947/

Go Gophers!!

Thanks Captain Obvious. (PJ in this case.) Props to PJ for owning it though; many people in society have problems admitting mistakes.

Bear Bryant said, "When you make a mistake there are only 3 things you should ever do about it: admit it, learn from it, don't repeat it."

Awesome. Of the "new" coaches in the B1G, we're at the bottom. I'd love to see our coaches out-coach someone (B1G team) for a change.

Awesome. Of the "new" coaches in the B1G, we're at the bottom. I'd love to see our coaches out-coach someone (B1G team) for a change.
So would I.
Can anyone name a time we out coached an opponent?

NW in '17? (0-39)

Last edited:

Doesn't really matter what you say if you're a head coach. You could say the best possible thing and if folks are upset about losing then it is the "wrong" thing.

If you're winning you could go on a profanity riddled rant targeting a group of nuns in the stands ... and you'd be just some crazy "genius".

Horton out-coached Captain Kirk in 2010. So did Kill in 2011.

Can't forget Brewster and Company out-coaching Dantonio and his gang in that Halloween Game in 2009.

Fleck needs to hire a game coach to manage the game.

That should be his coordinators. Lots of HCs don't call plays or even disagree with their HCs, but they let them do their thing.

There was a wonderful video of Saban running to call a timeout and Kiffin actually stops him and the play goes on... and they score a TD. Saban used to joke about how the only thing he would say to Kiffin was "Can we just run the ball more please?" The coordinators running the plays makes sense / works.

There's no shame in getting outcoached by Frost. He punctuated his undefeated season by taking down a Top 10, traditional SEC power.

Getting your lunch handed to you by an interim coach (Matt Canada) who had never been a head coach at any level? That's one that I wouldn't highlight on the resume.

Can't forget Brewster and Company out-coaching Dantonio and his gang in that Halloween Game in 2009.

Brewster has a 1.000 winning percentage against Mark Dantonio as a head coach......

:)

According to Claeys, he would have played Seth Green and won 8 games in 2017.

Thank you Mr. Coyle.

Brewster has a 1.000 winning percentage against Mark Dantonio as a head coach......

:)

Horton has a 1.000 winning percentage in trophy games..... .500 if you count Penn St... but you should't count Penn St.

According to Claeys, he would have played Seth Green and won 8 games in 2017.

Thank you Mr. Coyle.
Did he really say that? If he did, it is just another example of why he was fired.

He isn’t a bad coach, but he is terrible at knowing when to not say anything or what to say.

No problem saying “I think I got a bad deal, I think we would’ve had more success”
Stupid to say how many games you’d win and who should be starting on a team you’re no longer involved with

Top Bottom