STrib: After defensive collapse, Gophers football team goes back to basics

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Randy:

The numbers the Gophers defense have given up hit you like a 2-by-4.

An average of 43.3 points allowed in Big Ten games.

An average of 503.8 yards allowed in those contests.

Twenty-one offensive touchdowns scored by foes in four conference games.

And an average distance of 31.5 yards covered on those TDs.

It all came to a head Saturday at Nebraska, when a previously winless Cornhuskers team rolled up 659 yards of offense in a 53-28 rout of the Gophers that dropped Minnesota to 3-4 overall and 0-4 in Big Ten play.

With the season in a downward spiral and Friday night’s game vs. Indiana at TCF Bank Stadium quickly approaching, the Gophers need an answer for a reeling defense.

What say you, Robb Smith?

“I’m the guy that’s ultimately responsible for that, and when it goes wrong like that and you get a number like that, it’s 100 percent on me,” the Gophers defensive coordinator said Tuesday. “I’ve got to improve, and we’ve all got to improve.”

http://www.startribune.com/after-de...-football-team-goes-back-to-basics/498370461/

Go Gophers!!

Hopefully Fleck is searching extensively for someone to come in and clean this up. Man, this is Salem, Wacker type defense. Unfortunately, this isn't Kalamazoo and I just don't see him recruiting his way out of it on that side of the ball. He needs someone that gets the most out of what he has and has an eye for under the radar guys. Probably really hard to come by, but they gotta be out there somewhere.

This is what I was talking about in other threads. Sounds like the coaches were trying to over think it and over compensate for an injury to 1 player, AWjr.

Sounds like Fleck is saying we need to just get back to what we believe in and trust the players. I really hope this makes a big difference. Hope the guys step up and show him they can do it and be fine. Maybe Coach Fleck learned something this past week.

Go Gophers! Ski U Mah! Row that Boat!

I’m excited for Indiana, I hope the players are too! Need the offense to click and get better as well. Need a killer instinct on O! Need to finish!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is what I was talking about in other threads. Sounds like the coaches were trying to over think it and over compensate for an injury to 1 player, AWjr.

Sounds like Fleck is saying we need to just get back to what we believe in and trust the players. I really hope this makes a big difference. Hope the guys step up and show him they can do it and be fine. Maybe Coach Fleck learned something this past week.

Go Gophers! Ski U Mah! Row that Boat!

I’m excited for Indiana, I hope the players are too! Need the offense to click and get better as well. Need a killer instinct on O! Need to finish!

Maybe they will go back to playing more base. We will see.

For some reason, my instinct says that is not the problem. But I'm no coach, and I don't have any better solution. Other than just to say, do something, anything, different. What you're doing isn't working.

Maybe we need to switch to a 3-4, with Coughlin and Cashman as OLBs flanking the formation? I don't know ...

Top Bottom