Finally saw Nebraska tape...

Great Plains Gopher

Reaction score
We did much better than the score indicated and Morgan was a huge surprise at QB. We lost because we couldn't run the ball and because of Martinez -maybe the best dual threat QB in the nation and he's just getting started. Gophers seemed scrappy and defense was making some good plays right down to the end. Nebraska's record could be much better but for Martinez missing the end of the Colorado game and a complete game after that - they could win three more and should be in most games. They are loaded on offense with Washington stepping up at RB, great receivers and an unstoppable Martinez.

Gophers had a perfect TD pass called back on penalty, were frustrated in the red zone repeatedly: by a freak interception, overdoing the Wildcat on one series, and calling a fade pass on 4th down another time. They were really in the game until the last six minutes - the onside kick led directly to one Nebraska score, and we got nothing out of an 87-yard kickoff return.

Some play-calling was suspect, as indicated, and long passes seem wasted downs for either QB (the trick play excepted). At least Morgan can run once in a while. And we have a great set of young receivers.

Having missed both games because of being isolated in small Southern towns (the Big Ten scarcely exists in SEC country, along with the Pac-12, Big 12, and much more - man, are they provincial in football outlook), I was encouraged rather than discouraged by viewing the Ohio State and Nebraska tapes (thank God for DVR). If the Gophers can win the three home games, they will go to a bowl. That may be possible. The coaches have to step up - the team hasn't quit at all.

I also missed the game live, and have now watched three quarters of the game (most plays several times). And I'm not discouraged by what I see.

Yeah, losing sucks. Especially a game we had every right to win. And I really want to get to six wins this year. But the game has been entertaining through three quarters, and that's a lot more than I expected going in.

I'm not seeing anything that makes me want to get off the boat. I'll keep showing up as long as the team does.

JTG

The old adage usually applies: "when you watch the game tape, you're never as good as you thought, but you're also never as bad as you thought".

Top Bottom