This should be fun. Reusse interview with Tracy Claeys

I have little doubt we would have been better last year. Just the fact that Claeys did care about winning would have helped. His style would have suited our players better too.

Nick Saban, with Urban Meyer as one of his coordinators, likely wouldn't have done a lot better last year considering the QB options were Croft and Rhoda. Let's stop this nonsense right now.

The HC didn't matter a whole hill of beans last year, they were dealt and ungodly sh!tty hand with the QB choices, and it wasn't a lot better going into this year, at least from an experience standpoint.

Ridiculous post. You're seriously going to argue that the defense under Claeys wouldn't be performing at a higher level than the total trash fire we have now??

Yeah I'm seriously going to argue that this defense would be worse with less defensive lineman. It's already our weakest position along with DBs, which wouldn't be in any better shape.

Claeys 2017 recruiting class was a dumpster fire and yes we do know pretty much how that class would have finished. There was only a month until signing day and almost no movement on the recruiting front at the time of Claeys firing. It was dead last in the B1G by far and seriously neglecting our weakest positions.

Nick Saban, with Urban Meyer as one of his coordinators, likely wouldn't have done a lot better last year considering the QB options were Croft and Rhoda. Let's stop this nonsense right now.

The HC didn't matter a whole hill of beans last year, they were dealt and ungodly sh!tty hand with the QB choices, and it wasn't a lot better going into this year, at least from an experience standpoint.

I heard you the first time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I'm seriously going to argue that this defense would be worse with less defensive lineman. It's already our weakest position along with DBs, which wouldn't be in any better shape.

Claeys 2017 recruiting class was a dumpster fire and yes we do know pretty much how that class would have finished. There was only a month until signing day and almost no movement on the recruiting front at the time of Claeys firing. It was dead last in the B1G by far and seriously neglecting our weakest positions.

How did you not win the Mega Millions?

Can we stop using "This" in response to posts? We're all grown adults here. I think. Plus, it is 2018 now.

(However, if you're a middle-aged woman and are accustomed to typing it after seeing a cool Facebook post about a neato recipe or something like that I'll cut you some slack.)

In the future I'll respond with "Agreed" instead. I hope you don't have a problem with that.

Based on what? Gary Moore would be the only DT left with what Claeys had committed and was recruiting. It's bad enough the way it is with what Fleck was able to pull in at the last second.

And no I do not think they would win more games with Seth Green running the ball 25 times a game because he can't throw. They would likely have won less last year and this year.

I think this should be the marketing message to get folks in the seats. "Hey we are 0-4 in the Big 10, and just got trounced by a winless Nebraska team, but think how bad, hypothetically, it could be if we hadn't fired the guy who won 9 games and lost 4 competitive games."

In the future I'll respond with "Agreed" instead. I hope you don't have a problem with that.

ietacwe.gif

We all know Claeys wasn’t going to be a great recruiter, but no coach is going to have a great class when it feels like they are a lame duck.

I think this should be the marketing message to get folks in the seats. "Hey we are 0-4 in the Big 10, and just got trounced by a winless Nebraska team, but think how bad, hypothetically, it could be if we hadn't fired the guy who won 9 games and lost 4 competitive games."

Any coach that wins 9 games in the B1G should have multiple P5 head coaching options, right? Why do you think he doesn’t, and why does he have no interest in being a head coach?

We all know Claeys wasn’t going to be a great recruiter, but no coach is going to have a great class when it feels like they are a lame duck.

I feel like I agree with everyone on this topic.

I have no reason to think TC would be a good HC, crooter, etc.

I also don't think TC wasn't tested so I wouldn't go by any actual evidence.

And yet I'm willing to assume it is likely that crooting was not going to get better.

Arguably with every aspect Kill & Co. may have plateaued in 14.

Am I the only one who sees a contradiction here:

fans say "Claeys would have failed." Same fans say "Fleck will succeed." Based on what? Speculation and hope, respectively.

We don't know what Claeys would have done with a year 2 or 3. We don't know what players he and his staff would have recruited, or how those players would have fit into their system. But people "know" he would have failed.

My gut feeling is that Claeys - given a chance - would have kept the Gopher program at a respectable if not great level - let's say averaging 7.5 wins a year over a 5-year period. Now, some will say "that's not good enough." fine. you have a right to your opinion.

but, I will point this out: Fleck won 5 games last year. he's heading for (maybe) a 5 or 6 win season this year. so, for Fleck to average that "not good enough" level of 7.5 wins a year, assuming he's at 10 or 11 wins after this year, then Fleck will have to win an average of 8.8 games a season for years 3 through 5.

we will see what happens.

Thanks for giving us your gut feeling and criticizing the opinions of others.

This is year two. The team is not improving. Only 1 scholarship quarter back on the roster. The trend is not positive.

Fleck says his team is young. Sorry, Iowa has as many freshman on their
roster as Minnesota. Purdue has a 2nd year coach and they crushed Ohio
State. Purdue was a last place team two years ago. Fleck inherited a 9 win team.

Again, TC ran different schemes and his QB option in that offense would have been Green.

This is year two. The team is not improving. Only 1 scholarship quarter back on the roster. The trend is not positive.

Fleck says his team is young. Sorry, Iowa has as many freshman on their
roster as Minnesota. Purdue has a 2nd year coach and they crushed Ohio
State. Purdue was a last place team two years ago. Fleck inherited a 9 win team.

Actually this is not true. While Iowa has same number of Freshmen, but NOT actually playing. Check the game stat as to who played. Not even close

Can we stop using "This" in response to posts? We're all grown adults here. I think. Plus, it is 2018 now.

(However, if you're a middle-aged woman and are accustomed to typing it after seeing a cool Facebook post about a neato recipe or something like that I'll cut you some slack.)

This ^^^^^

I do enjoy and look forward to his "Turkey of the Year" article on Thanksgiving! It's pretty entertaining.

Goldteam: FYI.... Carl Pohlad was "TotY" in '87 and '98; Kent Hrbek in '90; and Terry Ryan in '13.

Toty......seriously?

He has to take turns on that. He has 162 times a year he can rip the twins. It's a rarity when it happens. The clown loves baseball and the twins. Lord knows he's had plenty of chances with the inept Twins.

it's true the QB spot was a mess. Why didn't Kill and Claeys know Rhoda was sub par?

Any coach that wins 9 games in the B1G should have multiple P5 head coaching options, right? Why do you think he doesn’t, and why does he have no interest in being a head coach?

He got tied to Gopher 9 deal and the national impression was that he was running a loose ship, partially due to the work of Coyle.

Under different circumstances he could have gotten another chance.

He was a walk on... I think they knew.

TC also sent him packing with a year of eligibility left. He knew. PJ asked him back - he owns the CR15 debacle.

TC also sent him packing with a year of eligibility left. He knew. PJ asked him back - he owns the CR15 debacle.

I mean at the time PJ asked him back we had ... what one eligible QB (due to the endless mystery disciplinary appeals)? I get PJ's call, the bucket was nearly empty, he just put ANYTHING he could get in there for the time being. I'm not sure PJ was all that surprised that ANYTHING wasn't much.

I've only known him to have one opinion. The Twins can do nothing wrong.

Everyone else sucks.

Do I have this wrong?

Yes. He ripped the Twins big-time this year and in several past years. I won't say they don't get more rope than the Gophers, but they are not immune. He does not like Falvine either. I think he's down on the punk kid know-it-alls in general these days. The "opener" concept sets him off especially.

Yes. He ripped the Twins big-time this year and in several past years. I won't say they don't get more rope than the Gophers, but they are not immune. He does not like Falvine either. I think he's down on the punk kid know-it-alls in general these days.

The only thing he seems to like are stories about "townball".

Based on what? Gary Moore would be the only DT left with what Claeys had committed and was recruiting. It's bad enough the way it is with what Fleck was able to pull in at the last second.

And no I do not think they would win more games with Seth Green running the ball 25 times a game because he can't throw. They would likely have won less last year and this year.

You, literally, have the oddest takes of anyone on this board.

You rip on Claeys as a recruiter, well his only class contains the lion's share of our better players:
Antoine Winfield
Carter Coughlin
Tyler Johnson
Thomas Barber
Kamal Martin
Donnell Green
Connor Olson

The class also had Kobe McCrary, Coney Durr, Kiondre Thomas, Ko Keift and Seth Green (who has been one of our better offensive players).

That's a heck of a class.

Oh, and by the way, so far the best player from the 2017 class (Andries) committed to Claeys.

Now you're saying the defense would have been worse with Claeys than it is now, you're delusional.

Top Bottom