This should be fun. Reusse interview with Tracy Claeys

Reusse is trying to burn down Gopherhole.

No question. Our Defense would have been much better. No reason to think Claeys is wrong about his opinion opinion of his wins had he been retained. Was a nice article.

"We had a great weekend here," Claeys said. "ESPN was here with 'GameDay.' I'd never been around that. It's unbelievable how that adds to the excitement. And then, you have to come down from that in a hurry and get ready to go to Stanford."

Grinch considerably improved Washington State's defense. There were five excellent players from the 2017 defense gone, and a reasonable nucleus of players back for the Cougars when Claeys arrived.

"Jeff Phelps sent me a few game tapes before I interviewed with Mike, and they were doing a lot of the same things we did at Minnesota," Claeys said. "They had a different terminology. Rather than make everyone learn my terminology, I learned what was being used here.

"We didn't want to complicate things more than was necessary for the players.

"Mike Leach says, 'Any time I spend coaching defense, I'm wasting my time.' He's pretty much locked in the offensive room all day long. That was important for me to come back as an assistant — to run the defense."

Pullman is a town of 33,000 (plus students), 75 miles south of Spokane and in the area of southeastern Washington called the Palouse, amid thousands of acres of picturesque rolling mounds and hills.

"They call 'em hills; they look like mountains to a guy from Kansas," Claeys said. "What's amazing is I grew up surrounded by all those wheat fields on the Kansas prairie, and here the wheat fields are on the side of the mountains, and they get more bushels per acre than Kansas."

Claeys spent much of his year away from football back home in Clay Center, Kan., with his mom and the rest of his family. He took a minor dip into the cattle business with his brother, and was an invited guest to various college football programs — including Texas A&M-Commerce, which wound up winning the Division II national title.

He talks to a few Minnesotans on a regular basis, including Dan O'Brien, part of Jerry Kill's football operation with the Gophers and now back in head coaching at St. Thomas Academy.

"OB sounds as happy as can be, back coaching high school kids," Claeys said.

Fair article. Reusse makes it through without his cheapshot at Fleck.

Claeys was a good DC here and is doing a good job at WSU it appears. Wish Claeys well.

Not sure why Reusse had to go there. This AD was going to find every reason to fire the last head coach. Didn't matter if it was Claey's or another coach they were getting fired. Just as the Twins are doing, Coyle simply wanted hi own head coach.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

enjoy freezin yer as2es off- TC

They way both Kill and Claeys made dumb comments when they left made me think that the Kill coaching staff felt like they were doing MN a favor by coaching here. We may be down but we are nobodys charity case.

They way both Kill and Claeys made dumb comments when they left made me think that the Kill coaching staff felt like they were doing MN a favor by coaching here. We may be down but we are nobodys charity case.

In my estimation Claeys would love to back peddle that comment as he was leaving the facility, it probably felt good in the moment but he has more class than that. On the other hand, he was set up and Coyle treated him like ****. I am a fan of Claeys and wish him all the best, let's just say I like his style.

In my estimation Claeys would love to back peddle that comment as he was leaving the facility, it probably felt good in the moment but he has more class than that. On the other hand, he was set up and Coyle treated him like ****. I am a fan of Claeys and wish him all the best, let's just say I like his style.

Yup. I agree. Class fellow, lashed out due to an unwarranted sucker punch, and I don't begrudge him that moment one bit. :clap:

Last edited:

A man without an acronym...[emoji16]

Would have won 8 games with a raw Seth Green, a putrid offensive line, no secondary(due to graduation and a sex train) and still no defensive ends?

Whatever you say Fatrick!

8 wins in 2017 and better this year?

Why not 10 wins in 2017 and better in 2018?

Throw out what ever number of wins you want. No one will ever know anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad to see Claeys is doing well. He is an outstanding defensive coordinator. In my opinion, not a good head coach. However, the way the bus was backed over him on his way out was totally classless. Bringing in your own people is a part of this business. His character did not need to be assassinated though.

Not sure why Reusse had to go there.

It’s really kind of sad and unfortunate that a writer that once had some talent now relegates himself to writing strictly for the sole enjoyment of antagonizing various groups of people (most notably some people on the board here who feel compelled to feed him).

No, I didn’t read the article and I won’t and maybe it wasn’t as blatant as his typical attempts but make no mistake, Pat writes for one purpose and one purpose only anymore.

Fair article. Reusse makes it through without his cheapshot at Fleck.

Claeys was a good DC here and is doing a good job at WSU it appears. Wish Claeys well.

Interviewing Claeys, a guy who he wouldn't give him the time of day while he was coach was the cheap shot at Fleck. Reusse is an asshat. Always has been. Always will be. Typing has been, make me think of him. Then again, he never was.

Dick move.

It’s really kind of sad and unfortunate that a writer that once had some talent now relegates himself to writing strictly for the sole enjoyment of antagonizing various groups of people (most notably some people on the board here who feel compelled to feed him).

No, I didn’t read the article and I won’t and maybe it wasn’t as blatant as his typical attempts but make no mistake, Pat writes for one purpose and one purpose only anymore.

Wrong. You just don’t like his writing, or the opinions he shares. You’re thin skinned, and he gets under that thin skin.

Wrong. You just don’t like his writing, or the opinions he shares. You’re thin skinned, and he gets under that thin skin.

I've only known him to have one opinion. The Twins can do nothing wrong.

Everyone else sucks.

Do I have this wrong?

The local media has no obligation to be positive toward the home teams, ever.
You have no obligation to read the local media if you don’t want to, ever.

The local media has no obligation to be positive toward the home teams, ever.
You have no obligation to read the local media if you don’t want to, ever.

And I have no obligation to be positive to the sports writer, ever!

Yet that seems to be a problem.

No question. Our Defense would have been much better. No reason to think Claeys is wrong about his opinion opinion of his wins had he been retained. Was a nice article.

Unfortunately, I guess we'll never know how good Green could have been as a full time QB.

I do enjoy and look forward to his "Turkey of the Year" article on Thanksgiving! It's pretty entertaining.

Goldteam: FYI.... Carl Pohlad was "TotY" in '87 and '98; Kent Hrbek in '90; and Terry Ryan in '13.

Last edited:

Why are we surprised that opinion writers have a negative opinion of a program coming off one bad year and in the middle of another one?

I thought it was a fair and well written piece (even though Reusse has a clear axe to grind with PJ).

We all know that Claeys got screwed over here. No matter your opinion of him as a head coach (and I was totally against his firing), it's pretty tough to justify the way he was treated by Kaler/Coyle.

Instead of - update on former coach doing well at new gig, Pat, of course, had to end with the sour grapes quote (which many of us don't begrudge a bit). Completely consistent with every thing he writes about the Gophers. Pat loves to, in his mind, call out the true motivation of local sports personalities - see his "Country Jer" monicker. So Pat premises most of his stories on the "Hey, there's a scab, let me pick at it" approach. Often provocative, too often, juvenile.

Fair article. It's most interesting stuff are the quotes from Claeys. TC ran an offense more suitable to Green's dual threat as QB, IMHO. We've gotten small glimpses this season, but it would have been fun to see how Green would have performed as the starter in that offense.

I do enjoy and look forward to his "Turkey of the Year" article on Thanksgiving! It's pretty entertaining.

Goldteam: FYI.... Carl Pohlad was "TotY" in '87 and '98; Kent Hrbek in '90; and Terry Ryan in '13.

I believe he retired that column.
He named himself it last year as a finale.
But I agree, I always looked forward to reading that one.

Reusse is an excellent writer.
Reusse is a Gopher troll.

Both are true IMO.

Top Bottom