Kent Youngblood: Hubbard had Surgery Last Friday

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...y-lindsay-whalen-s-debut-sells-out/498345931/

Gophers guard Gadiva Hubbard had surgery on her right foot Friday and will be out indefinitely.

Coach Lindsay Whalen made the announcement at media availability Tuesday. She said no timetable has been set for Hubbard’s return, but that she hopes the 5-9 junior will be able to return this season.

It is a big loss. One of three returning starters from last year’s team that advanced to the second round of the NCAA tournament, Hubbard was third in minutes played (34.9) and scoring (13.6).

It was unclear exactly how Hubbard would have fit in Whalen’s rotation; Destiny Pitts’ move to more of a true forward position and Jasmine Brunson’s impressive fall would have made for a lot of competition for a starting spot. But, either way, Godiva — who hit nearly 35 percent of her three-pointers last season — would have had a big role.

“We were just starting to get to the point where we were going to start getting the first team and rotations down when she got hurt,” Whalen said. “She played 35 minutes a game last year. She was — and hopefully still is — going to be a huge part of our rotation.”

Whalen said there wasn’t any one moment where Hubbard hurt her foot. She began complaining of soreness as fall practice progressed. She was favoring the foot, and further tests showed the need for surgery

I admit I've been confused as to why Youngblood thought Hubbard might have trouble finding minutes especially if Pitts played forward. It finally got through my thick skull that Youngblood meant Pitts playing small forward as in an old time small forward, power forward, center and two guard lineup.

With Hubbard out, our guard ranks are thin and as Shades wrote we are heavy on forwards-inexperienced forwards. Obviously Taiye Bello who averaged 7.2 points and 7.3 rebounds in 16.3 minutes in B1G play needs to stay on the court, out of foul trouble.

Hubbard will be missed in the time she is out. She's a versatile guard who can shoot beyond the arc, who can drive to the hoop, and can run the court. She's been solid and reliable. As others have pointed out, her injury leaves little margin for error at the guard ranks, which are thin. Hopefully, the remaining guards will be healthy. If there is a silver lining, it will be that Brunson and Staples will receive plenty of PT. I'm wondering if this version of the Gophers may occasionally lack in 3-point shooting. With the loss of Wagner and now Hubbard, and with Pitts moving inside more, there's quite a bit of 3-point shooting that's gone from last year's team. Although we haven't seen her in game action, I am thinking that Staples will make up some of that. Bell can shoot threes, but I'd prefer to continue to have her get to the hoop. And Brunson, I hope she's improved her shooting a bit, as she's been a somewhat limited offensive player in the past. And yes, as Hoops has pointed out, Bello's play, good or bad, will be a key to this team's success. I expect her to do well this year, and wouldn't be surprised if she averages a double-double in points and rebounds.

The thing that comes to mind was last year's senior night against Indiana. Hubbard was out with illness, Pitts had a knee soreness from the Maryland game and Bell Struggled leaving Wagner to carry scoring load on her own. With Wagner Gone, as previously mentioned the margin for error is basically gone. with Hubbard out, Pitts and Bell wont be able to have off games or no-shows. I know that's a lot of pressure but with being leaders, its part of it. Frankly players like Brunson, Staples and Taiye wont have the luxury of "possibly" helping out on offense. Those 3 will need to options, if no other reason, to pull defenders off of Pitts/Bell. While I agree Pitts is now the main 3-point threat in the expected starting 5 of Brunson, Bell, Pitts, Taiye and Lamke, but I feel bell is going to have to take and make some 3-pointers. I agree I don't want Bell to become just a jump shooter, teams will possibly take their chances on Bell's jumpshots and sag off her out on the 3-point line. Same with Brunson. I feel, at least to start, will sag off of Brunson and Bell.

Also if Hubbard is out half or the full season, to have a chance vs a team like Syracuse, Gophers will have to make 3s. No other way around it. I might sound crazy but Bell/Pitts might need to both average 20+ ppg along with Brunson/Taiye/Staples possibly all giving 8-12 ppg.

Top Bottom