Gophers offer Antoine Winfield Jr.'s brother, DB Austin Winfield

DanielHouse

Reaction score
The Gophers have offered "The Woodlands High School" defensive back Austin Winfield a preferred walk-on opportunity. Winfield is the brother of current Gophers safety Antoine Winfield Jr. His dad, Antoine Winfield Sr., played 14 seasons in the NFL with the Vikings and Bills.

A safety in the Class of 2019, this is the first offer Winfield has received from any college programs. A 5-foot-5, 155-pound defensive back, Winfield is a fantastic athlete and physical tackler around the line of scrimmage. He also has experience in the return game and could develop into a solid player with more physical growth. Perhaps he will be more of a natural nickel cornerback due to his size. However, with more work in a strength and conditioning program, he could develop into a safety at the next level.

Winfield will likely receive a few additional offers after a strong senior campaign, but Minnesota would give him the opportunity to pair up with his brother at Minnesota.

Last edited:

Oh my goodness...it’s Winfield!’s...brother! How can you not like that hudl? He hits like a freight train, appears to have great burst, body control, vertical. Great genes. Plenty of quality players check in at or well under 5 foot 9.

He'll hopefully grow up to be just like his dad!

I enjoyed that film. He’s certainly a great athlete which probably goes without having to say.
Watching that film reminded me a bit of the “Tiny Titan” glitch from Madden ‘15.

Oh my goodness...it’s Winfield!’s...brother! How can you not like that hudl? He hits like a freight train, appears to have great burst, body control, vertical. Great genes. Plenty of quality players check in at or well under 5 foot 9.

JD Spielman for example.

Why would Winfield leave when he can't stay healthy?

Uhh, exactly!!

No one is going to say anything bad about Winfield, because he is so obviously talented. But ... sorry, the guy can't stay on the field. And again sorry, but that is a red flag to the NFL. He'll still get drafted I'm sure, but it will be something he'll have to address.

He needs one more season in college at least, to prove himself.

Height I don't care about so much as weight. 155lbs is tiny. Smashing yourself into 2xx lbs RBs and TEs over the course of a Big Ten season, your body simply cannot hold up.

Of course it would be nice to add a little larger frame and mass. He may not be done growing. Dad played around 180 pounds.

In case anyone was wondering the same thing as me, I googled Tyrone Carter and Wikipedia says 5-9 195, which was likely his playing weight in the NFL.

I think you trust the pedigree here. Good get.

I know the Wolves probably wish they’d trusted the pedigree rather than the tape measure with Steph Curry. Where is Ricky now?

Definitely players have proven they can play at a high level regardless of size and weight. One that comes to mind is Trindond Holliday at LSU. He was 5’ 5” and 160. Had blazing speed too.

Confident in that Austin will make the most of the opportunities he’s given.

People thought Harold Howell wouldn’t be good either because of his height.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nate Archibald was a helluva Good player!

People thought Harold Howell wouldn’t be good either because of his height.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Harold Howell was no Ralph Spry.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

In case anyone was wondering the same thing as me, I googled Tyrone Carter and Wikipedia says 5-9 195, which was likely his playing weight in the NFL.

I think you trust the pedigree here. Good get.

I know the Wolves probably wish they’d trusted the pedigree rather than the tape measure with Steph Curry. Where is Ricky now?

We didn't get, we offered him... a PWO

Top Bottom