Presser Points: Fixing the defense, Annexstad's availability uncertain

DanielHouse

Reaction score
Preparations are underway as the Gophers play a rare Friday night game against Indiana at TCF Bank Stadium. There won’t be much time for the Gophers to process a 53-28 thrashing at the hands of Nebraska. The Minnesota defense surrendered 659 yards and ten explosive plays as the Huskers moved the ball at will.

Part of the Gophers’ issues are related to scheme and personnel. The loss of safety Antoine Winfield Jr. has changed the identity of the defense. With his versatility, many aspects of the defense were set to take advantage of his skill-set.

As freshmen Jordan Howden or senior cornerback Antoino Shenault play safety, teams are scheming to exploit inexperience at the position. Opposing coordinators are often running bunch sets which forces the defense to pass players off in coverage. Various route concepts can create deception and move players out of the correct alignments. Not only that, but it can hurt the running game. Teams will run those same formations to test tackling on the perimeter. For example, cornerback Coney Durr was unable to replace and make a tackle on running back Devine Ozigbo’s 59-yard run last week.

“Defensively, we missed 18 tackles…I talk about three things – there’s a schematic part, there’s a coaching part and there’s a personnel part,” Fleck said. “Those are three columns that I always look at no matter what, all sides of the ball. When you look at schematics, we’re in position to make a ton of plays – we don’t make plays. We don’t make tackles.”

Part of the issue is related to scheme, but some of it is directly reflective of a secondary that needs more recruiting resources, head coach P.J. Fleck said.

“You miss one tackle and it’s your gap, your responsibility, that’s what happens,” Fleck said. “That’s going to be fixed through recruiting, through development, hopefully maybe getting guys back…I told you all at the beginning of the year, depending on how healthy our secondary stays, depends on I think really the strength of our defense. That’s what I said at the beginning, I like our front-seven, we’ve stopped the run with our front-seven.”

The average length of opponent touchdowns scored against Minnesota in Big Ten play is 31.5 yards. In addition, 14 of Minnesota’s total scoring plays allowed have been more than 20 yards long. The inability to play more man-press coverage is really hurting this defense. Teams can just hit the soft spots of off-man and zone coverage schemes. It’s a balancing act to mix the coverage principles enough to keep offenses honest.

“When you get in a position, you want to keep everything in front of you,” Fleck said. “And then we do go man coverage, again at times, like we saw in the run game, it comes down to one guy. That one guy misses a tackle, whoever that is, and it’s a 60-yard touchdown, especially when you’re in bump and run.”

Fleck said player development and future recruiting will be important ways to patch the scheme and develop the necessary personnel for the future. Right now, the coaches have to find a way to mix coverages and move players around to limit big plays.

“It’s also going to be a huge emphasis in 2019 recruiting as we finish up the class, we know that. But again, that’s part of the process, that’s what you know when you walk in, that’s what you know you have to fix,” Fleck said. “We knew offensive line when we got here and defensive backs were going to be things we really had to fix or develop.”

Fleck was asked whether his defense was really that inexperienced considering nine of the 11 starters are upper classmen. He indicated the major spots where players are missing or inexperienced is causing issues for what the coaches can run defensively.

“Remember, we play 5 or 6 DBs, we can’t play 5 or 6 DBs right now. We’re playing the majority in base because we don’t have enough defensive backs,” Fleck said. “And so when you start to get into that part, yes, we’re talking about maybe not freshmen, but they’re very youthful, inexperienced players.”

For the time being, the Gophers need to find a way to make adjustments to their defense in order to scale back the incredible volume of big plays they are surrendering in conference play.

Annexstad’s status is uncertain
Quarterback Zack Annexstad left Saturday’s 53-28 loss to Nebraska with an internal midsection injury. He was sent to the hospital at halftime and did not return. Fleck said he is uncertain whether Annexstad will be ready to play in Friday’s game against Indiana.

“It’s only a day-and-a-half, really, after the game for us,” Fleck said. “For us to say exactly what’s going to happen, I’d be guessing. He’s had a few things wrong with him when he was taken out.”

Fleck indicated Annexstad has been battling through a nagging ankle injury he sustained in the Miami (OH) game. It appears this issue has really impacted his mobility and confidence outside the pocket. The Gophers haven’t had the flexibility to scheme designed roll-outs or play-action looks for Annexstad due to this injury.

“[Annexstad] wants to play,” Fleck said. “He can play. He’s just limited…you hurt your ankle and to a severe part, two different types of injuries. That takes some time to get healed.”

When Annexstad left the game, redshirt freshman quarterback Tanner Morgan entered and provided a spark. He completed 11 of his 16 passes for 214 yards and interception. The Minnesota offense scored 22 unanswered points when the team’s backup was given an opportunity.

“[His performance] was gritty, gutsy, it’s what he is….he gave us a little bit more with the feet,” Fleck said. “He was able to run some option and escape the pocket, run, pick up a first down here or there, get some extra yardages.”

Morgan also added four carries for 35 yards as the Gophers implemented a speed-option wrinkle to their offense. Morgan had the mobility Annexstad wasn’t able to provide over the past few weeks.

With a short week ahead, it feels likely Tanner Morgan will play Friday against Indiana as Annexstad recovers from his injuries. However, at this time, Fleck wasn’t certain about his status.

Brooks’ situation is still evolving
Running back Shannon Brooks has been practicing, but his status is still up in the air as the team collects more information regarding an alleged assault with a male roommate. Brooks was not charged, but the program is still collecting the necessary facts.

“As of right now, no change,” Fleck said. “He is practicing, but it’s still evolving.”

It's gotta be Morgan.

Hat's off to ZA for grinding, and mental toughness. But the guy has just been battered to hell and back. He's human, and he's 18 years old. Give the young man a break!

Ya know, young Mr. House provides some damn fine football coverage. Much better than you see in most newspapers.

JTG

It's gotta be Morgan.

Hat's off to ZA for grinding, and mental toughness. But the guy has just been battered to hell and back. He's human, and he's 18 years old. Give the young man a break!

Agree, I don't think Annexstad should lose his job regardless of what happens but a week off to try and get healthy would be a very good thing for him right now. Especially on a short week like this where everything is rushed a bit because of the Friday game.

And for those looking for answers on defense the ones in the notes above are pretty specific as to where they believe the problem lies and how they intend to try and fix it.

And for those looking for answers on defense the ones in the notes above are pretty specific as to where they believe the problem lies and how they intend to try and fix it.

What I read is that ... they need to recruit better. OK, but that won't help this season.

I also read that they're trying the Kansas City Shuffle, putting guys here and there, and basically crossing all fingers and toes on every play, hoping that it's not yet another big play. That doesn't sound like the ideal way to run the defense.

Defense is always about plugging 3 holes in a dam when you only have two fingers. OK, so Neb gashed us on outside runs that isolated the corner, who whiffed big time in tackling. So we bench that guy, and put in a better tackler. Except, whoops now that guy isn't as good in coverage. Just got burned over the top for a big pass play.

I hope they can figure something out ... maybe we need to just start blitzing the hell out of teams. Something, anything! Try it

I don't think Annexstad should lose his job regardless of what happens

Really? Why? If Morgan is the QB against Indiana, passes well, and is able to use his legs to pick up some needed yards and avoid sacks, you believe he should go back to the bench if Zach is healthy the next week? I sure don't.

Really? Why? If Morgan is the QB against Indiana, passes well, and is able to use his legs to pick up some needed yards and avoid sacks, you believe he should go back to the bench if Zach is healthy the next week? I sure don't.

I'm with you. Especially if he leads them to a W with his play.

What I read is that ... they need to recruit better. OK, but that won't help this season.

I also read that they're trying the Kansas City Shuffle, putting guys here and there, and basically crossing all fingers and toes on every play, hoping that it's not yet another big play. That doesn't sound like the ideal way to run the defense.

Defense is always about plugging 3 holes in a dam when you only have two fingers. OK, so Neb gashed us on outside runs that isolated the corner, who whiffed big time in tackling. So we bench that guy, and put in a better tackler. Except, whoops now that guy isn't as good in coverage. Just got burned over the top for a big pass play.

I hope they can figure something out ... maybe we need to just start blitzing the hell out of teams. Something, anything! Try it

What I read is incompetent coaching. They have no idea what to do.

What I read is incompetent coaching. They have no idea what to do.

I see Mr. "it's all on me" just blame the players. Nothing wrong with the scheme. Coaching gets a pass. Better players will fix the scheme.

Yeah. Right.

Last edited:

I believe they evaluated the two QBs when healthy and felt Zach was the better option. He clearly isn't healthy right now and it is really limiting his play. Obviously if Morgan comes in and blows everyone away with elite level QB play that could change things but just leading the team to a win against Indiana would not be enough in my opinion to hand him the starting job for the rest of the year if ZA is healthy.

All that said, I am sure they will go with the guy they feel is best suited to lead the team so if Morgan is able to convince them that he is that guy the change could certainly happen at any time. Both are young so anything can happen.

Said it before, the loss of Winfield was a killer for this D. I honestly think if he is on the field neither of those long TD runs Nebraska got in the first half happen. They are scrambling to figure things out with the limited options they have at their disposal. They are being forced to rely on guys with little to no experience in the secondary and against Big Ten offenses that is a killer.

Honestly not sure what else they can do at this point. They just have to keep working with the new guys and hoping the light goes on for them. In the end the players have to make the plays and when guys blow assignments or miss tackles big plays happen. Unfortunately those big plays are happening a lot right now. They have very few guys in the secondary with much experience and of those guys only Winfield was really a stand out player.

We have been spoiled by some really strong secondaries in recent years but the guys left behind by the old staff were not on the same level as some of the guys they had in previous seasons (again outside of Winfield). So you plug and play and hope the new guys don't get torched as they learn and develop. Not much else you can really do. Fans don't like to hear that but it isn't the NFL where you can go out and sign or trade for someone, you work with the guys you have and hope they can get it done.

Robb Smith doesn't get a free pass on this either. It is still on him to figure out how to make things work with the guys he has and if he can't I certainly won't be surprised if Fleck makes a change after the season, no matter what he says publicly now, if things don't get better on that side of the ball.

I believe they evaluated the two QBs when healthy and felt Zach was the better option.

Well, I suppose he did that last year with Rhoda, too, but then changed his mind in midseason. Fleck, like most people, strikes me as a guy who makes it up as he goes along.

There’s a lot of talk here about missed tackles leading to big plays, or needing to recruit better. Are they practicing live hitting and tackling? Kill was known for his physical teams and by most accounts tough practices (which admittedly led to more injury risk). Their defensive players generally tackled well and swarmed to the ball carrier. Curious what the word out of the complex is on style of practice.

Said it before, the loss of Winfield was a killer for this D. I honestly think if he is on the field neither of those long TD runs Nebraska got in the first half happen. They are scrambling to figure things out with the limited options they have at their disposal. They are being forced to rely on guys with little to no experience in the secondary and against Big Ten offenses that is a killer.

Honestly not sure what else they can do at this point. They just have to keep working with the new guys and hoping the light goes on for them. In the end the players have to make the plays and when guys blow assignments or miss tackles big plays happen. Unfortunately those big plays are happening a lot right now. They have very few guys in the secondary with much experience and of those guys only Winfield was really a stand out player.

We have been spoiled by some really strong secondaries in recent years but the guys left behind by the old staff were not on the same level as some of the guys they had in previous seasons (again outside of Winfield). So you plug and play and hope the new guys don't get torched as they learn and develop. Not much else you can really do. Fans don't like to hear that but it isn't the NFL where you can go out and sign or trade for someone, you work with the guys you have and hope they can get it done.

Robb Smith doesn't get a free pass on this either. It is still on him to figure out how to make things work with the guys he has and if he can't I certainly won't be surprised if Fleck makes a change after the season, no matter what he says publicly now, if things don't get better on that side of the ball.

Change to who, though? I think his DC at WMU stayed to become the HC?

Maybe Schiano gets fired at Ohio St if the train goes off the tracks in Columbus. Fleck would hire him in a nanosecond. That was one of his mentors.

But could Schiano come in right now and fix everything? I don't think so ... could anyone??

Last edited:

There’s a lot of talk here about missed tackles leading to big plays, or needing to recruit better. Are they practicing live hitting and tackling? Kill was known for his physical teams and by most accounts tough practices (which admittedly led to more injury risk). Their defensive players generally tackled well and swarmed to the ball carrier. Curious what the word out of the complex is on style of practice.

Smith said in the interview that they were working on tackling in practice.

But the flip side of that is, if you bust the guys all up to hell in practice, are they fresh for the game?? Everything is a double edged sword, just waiting to cut you one way or the other.

I believe they evaluated the two QBs when healthy and felt Zach was the better option. He clearly isn't healthy right now and it is really limiting his play. Obviously if Morgan comes in and blows everyone away with elite level QB play that could change things but just leading the team to a win against Indiana would not be enough in my opinion to hand him the starting job for the rest of the year if ZA is healthy.

All that said, I am sure they will go with the guy they feel is best suited to lead the team so if Morgan is able to convince them that he is that guy the change could certainly happen at any time. Both are young so anything can happen.

This is fair. And you are correct, when they were both healthy, ZA won. He did better than TM. But the QBs don't take hits in practice. They don't get injured (usually).

And there is still something to be said for the following: practice is practice, and it is not the games. Games sometimes cause the best in players to come out. Some guys are "gamers". You hate that as a coach, it's really not fair to the staff. But it does happen. I have a feeling that TM has a little of that. At the very least, he certainly did well at Nebraska. Now let's see what happens, if he is indeed the starter for Indiana.

This is fair. And you are correct, when they were both healthy, ZA won. He did better than TM. But the QBs don't take hits in practice. They don't get injured (usually).

And there is still something to be said for the following: practice is practice, and it is not the games. Games sometimes cause the best in players to come out. Some guys are "gamers". You hate that as a coach, it's really not fair to the staff. But it does happen. I have a feeling that TM has a little of that. At the very least, he certainly did well at Nebraska. Now let's see what happens, if he is indeed the starter for Indiana.

I think that Zack has gotten a little sloppy with his play. He tends to throw a lot of deep balls that are up for grabs. He may need to sit for a while to settle down, even if it isn’t injury related.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When Annexstad left the game, redshirt freshman quarterback Tanner Morgan entered and provided a spark. He completed 11 of his 16 passes for 214 yards and interception. The Minnesota offense scored 22 unanswered points when the team’s backup was given an opportunity.

Let's be fair - the first of our three TDs was scored on Annexstad's last drive before he was sent to the hospital. Then Morgan came in and led us to two more. That's how we scored 22 unanswered points.

But I think it is also fair to say that TM showed us nothing that would justify any reasonable doubt to him being every much as competent a passer as ZA. He made all the same throws that I've seen ZA make so far. And then everything else, mobility in the pocket, quick decisions to avoid sacks, being able to run, put him above ZA, for the moment.

Like others have said, I think Morgan showed enough Saturday to get more opportunities. Let him start against Indiana, see how it goes and then go from there.

Let's be fair - the first of our three TDs was scored on Annexstad's last drive before he was sent to the hospital. Then Morgan came in and led us to two more. That's how we scored 22 unanswered points.

We scored 4 touchdowns. The first was late in the first half with Zach. The other three were in the second half with Tanner.

I think that Zack has gotten a little sloppy with his play. He tends to throw a lot of deep balls that are up for grabs. He may need to sit for a while to settle down, even if it isn’t injury related.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He also has more passes batted down than any QB I recall seeing in a long time.

Or how about putting it more simply? Appraisals are often changed based on additional evidence.

He also has more passes batted down than any QB I recall seeing in a long time.

Kirk Cousins says hi.

I agree though, he stares down his receivers so defensive lineman and linebackers can just watch his eyes.

Maybe Schiano gets fired at Ohio St if the train goes off the tracks in Columbus. Fleck would hire him in a nanosecond. That was one of his mentors.

But could Schiano come in right now and fix everything? I don't think so ... could anyone??
You think those are the only options for a new DC? Good grief....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Robb Smith is a Schiano disciple (his DC at Rutgers)...at least I think so. (I'm too lazy to look. Dpo?) That's not the answer watching how things are going tOSU.

As far as the loss of Winfield: If the loss of one player makes it difficult to play your scheme, then I think the scheme was flawed to begin with. one player - no matter how talented - should not make or break your team at the D1 level. at the HS level, yeah - losing your best player can be impossible to overcome. But at the D1 level with 85 scholarships, the loss of one player should not doom a team to failure.

As far as the loss of Winfield: If the loss of one player makes it difficult to play your scheme, then I think the scheme was flawed to begin with. one player - no matter how talented - should not make or break your team at the D1 level. at the HS level, yeah - losing your best player can be impossible to overcome. But at the D1 level with 85 scholarships, the loss of one player should not doom a team to failure.

Fleck said as much...defense designed around Winfield.

Top Bottom