Hoosiers vs Gophers

WorkingMyTailOff

Reaction score
It’s been a while since the Hoosiers have visited Minneapolis. The last time was when the chili master himself was head coach and the Gophers prevailed 16-7 at the old HHH Metrodome.
Minnesota leads the series 38-26-3 and the last matchup was a heckuva game with a lot of offense and Aaron Hill picking up a backwards pass to stop what felt like a sure Hoosiers scoring drive.
Both schools have awarded honorary degrees to famous native musical sons in the Hoosiers’ John Mellencamp and the Gophers Prince Roger Nelson.
If this game want already getting your chili hot I hope this thread can (if others add some spice).
Prince vs Mellencamp!

Since it seems like it's been since 1999 that we've played Indiana...

I heard this is the Hoosier's entrance song.

I also think it is worth mentioning that despite being in the same conference, this will be Indiana's first EVER visit to TCF Bank Stadium, which is 9 years old.

Through the decades it seems like Indiana is always a team that even the Gophers should be able to mark the contest as a "W" before the game is played but in reality the actual game then always turns out to be a dog fight victory or even a loss.

This is a MASSIVE game for the Gophers to even begin to think about a bowl this year. A loss, and the doubts that started flowing after the Nebraska debacle will grow, and that is bigger than any plan or average age level of the players. Some improvement has to show at some point and I don't think the midway point of the second year of the coaching regime is too soon for that.

I heard this is the Hoosier's entrance song.

Let's hope they start the game the way John Cougar Mellencamp started this song.

I wish our Gophers entrance song would be "Sexy MF".:clap: Okay, maybe not.:D

Hoosiers vs Gophers belongs on a Friday night.

I'm looking forward to watching the game on Friday night. The last Golden Gopher/ Hoosier game was an exciting one.

I'm looking forward to watching the game on Friday night. The last Golden Gopher/ Hoosier game was an exciting one.

Stuff, that game was a ton of fun for Gopher fans. One of the better offensive games to watch with Nelson throwing the ball well and Cobb having a great game too if I recall.
I’m sure it stung for the other side.

I also think it is worth mentioning that despite being in the same conference, this will be Indiana's first EVER visit to TCF Bank Stadium, which is 9 years old.

Through the decades it seems like Indiana is always a team that even the Gophers should be able to mark the contest as a "W" before the game is played but in reality the actual game then always turns out to be a dog fight victory or even a loss.

This is a MASSIVE game for the Gophers to even begin to think about a bowl this year. A loss, and the doubts that started flowing after the Nebraska debacle will grow, and that is bigger than any plan or average age level of the players. Some improvement has to show at some point and I don't think the midway point of the second year of the coaching regime is too soon for that.

Agreed. If this Gopher team comes out flat at all I will be disappointed. It’s a winnable game.

I will take this one step further - if they do not win this game they are not going to make it to a bowl this year. It would be a great time to have RB Shannon Brooks back for but somehow I don't think this will happen. He would be a difference maker and really help this team if he were there. But before we talk about bowls, let's just get that first Big Ten win of the year!!

Stuff, that game was a ton of fun for Gopher fans. One of the better offensive games to watch with Nelson throwing the ball well and Cobb having a great game too if I recall.
I’m sure it stung for the other side.

It stung badly. That loss cost IU bowl eligibility for what would have been the first time since 2007.

As those highlights show, IU's defense under Kevin Wilson was atrocious. That offense, however, was crazy talented. It had 5 guys now in the NFL: Tevin Coleman (Flacons), Nate Sudfeld (Eagles), Cody Latimer (Giants), Dan Feeney (Chargers) and Jason Spriggs (Packers), and a few other guys that had brief NFL careers (Shane Wynn, Steven Houston, Ted Bolser).

IU is better defensively these days but nowhere near as explosive offensively.

It stung badly. That loss cost IU bowl eligibility for what would have been the first time since 2007.

As those highlights show, IU's defense under Kevin Wilson was atrocious. That offense, however, was crazy talented. It had 5 guys now in the NFL: Tevin Coleman (Flacons), Nate Sudfeld (Eagles), Cody Latimer (Giants), Dan Feeney (Chargers) and Jason Spriggs (Packers), and a few other guys that had brief NFL careers (Shane Wynn, Steven Houston, Ted Bolser).

I can relate as the Gophers have been on the other side of those types of finishes as well. It was a crazy game and you could see the athletes that IU had on display that day.
At half I think a lot of the IU fans were packing up to leave and then they made a great comeback.

What are the strengths of this years team? Good offensive line and power running game? Is the defense better against the run or pass?

Definitely a high powered offense. If I remember correctly they had a wild shootout vs Michigan a few years ago under Wilson.

That 2013 game vs the Gophers was great. Fantastic heads up play by Hill to play through the whistle and snag the ball.

Just looking back at the last matchup. Cobb rushed for 188 yards. The Gophers outgained the Hoosiers 573 to 496 and had a big time of possession advantage with 38:02 to 21:58. Man, would I love to see a ball control good running game for the Gophers tonight. I think the Gophers offensive line can win the battle as long as the defense can step it up.

Went to IU game at their stadium once under Brewster's tenure.

We parked a minivan in the student part of their tailgate area. When we came back every horizontal inch of the car was covered with beer and liquor bottles, empty to full solo cups, and an errant piece of food. No damage and the owner was not happy, but it was quite the stunt.

Had no idea how they got stuff in the middle of the top of the minivan. Either really tall or they had to stand on each other.

Since the Gophers won soundly it was not insult upon injury. Still quite a memory though.

Begrudgingly I have to admit John Mellencamp is alright. I wish we had a wealthy rock star (cmon Bob Dylan) who would kick in for a chunk of the practice facility.

Top Bottom