Big Dan (and Andries) vs. Nebraska: Grading our offensive linemen

rockford

Reaction score
Last week, I critiqued the debut of Daniel Faalele as our starting right tackle. This week, we'll look at both Big Dan and his neighbor on the line, fellow freshman Blaise Andries.

I couldn't watch the game live, but have been making my way through the tape. I'm currently through with the first half. My general impressions of the game can be found here: http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/bo...-The-rockford-file-Notes-on-the-Nebraska-game

For the first half, I graded Faalele at 86% on 14 runs, and 93% on 29 passes.

Andries scored 100% on the runs, and 90% on passes.

• Faalele had a couple burps in the run game. On one run, he went into pass protection mode. He was uncovered but failed to engage anyone, and the guy he was likely supposed to get stuffed the play for a 1-yard gain. On a later run he was tasked with getting to the second level and getting a LB, but did not look good at all in space.

• Twice on pass plays, Big Dan was beaten to the outside. On one, he was forced to hold, although he wasn't flagged. As I mentioned last week, Faalele has a quick first step, and he does a damn good job of opening up and getting in position to stop the outside rush. But he tends to stop moving his feet once contact is made, allowing the defender to turn the corner.

• I have little doubt these mistakes will diminish as Faalele's experience increases. He looks good.

• Andries look strong against the run. On the option, he was tasked with getting to the second level and picking off the MLB, who was playing fairly deep, and Andries got the job done. He was very effective in double-teaming with C Jared Weyler. (When the second guy to hit you is 6-foot-5, 315 lbs., life sucks.)

• Andries had some trouble in the passing game. On one play, he was nearly 10 yards downfield before the pass was thrown, even though he wasn't flagged for it. He also got beat inside once, forcing QB Zack Annexstad to get rid of the ball in about two seconds. Fortunately, ZA connected with Rashod Bateman on a back-shoulder throw for a nice gain despite getting planted by Andries' guy. Gotta wonder if this is the play where ZA got hurt.

• On another pass Andries was driven into the backfield, allowing ZA no room to step up. This was on the second play where the Gophers lined up WR Tyler Johnson in the backfield. As mentioned in my other thread, Johnson is a matchup nightmare coming out of the backfield. He was open, but ZA had to rush the throw and it was incomplete. ZA had about 2.87 seconds before he had to get rid of the ball, which is a fairly decent amount of time, but that was barely enough for Johnson to release to the outside, turn upfield and lose the LB.

All in all, a decent first half by our subjects.

JTG

I'm all the more impressed with our OL and Faaelele specifically, given that his 1.5 games are on the road at OSU and Nebraska. Very impressive.

• Twice on pass plays, Big Dan was beaten to the outside. On one, he was forced to hold, although he wasn't flagged. As I mentioned last week, Faalele has a quick first step, and he does a damn good job of opening up and getting in position to stop the outside rush. But he tends to stop moving his feet once contact is made, allowing the defender to turn the corner.

I was at the game. Think I remember this one, as the Nebraska fans were furious at the refs for the missed call. It was clearly visible on the in-stadium replay.

They are playing well together. Is it just me or did it seem like Gophs rarely ran to their side Saturday? Always seemed to be running away from that side...

I was at the game. Think I remember this one, as the Nebraska fans were furious at the refs for the missed call. It was clearly visible on the in-stadium replay.

Pretty sure it was on our first drive of the game.

JTG

They are playing well together. Is it just me or did it seem like Gophs rarely ran to their side Saturday? Always seemed to be running away from that side...

Couldn't say ... but I certainly get the impression that Faalele and Andries are unstoppable forces when blocking down. The defensive line tends to cave. Don't have any facts to back it up, but it seems like they always get movement when driving down.

JTG

Pretty sure it was on our first drive of the game.

JTG

It was on the TD pass to Bateman that was called back for holding. One of those RPO plays and some OL got downfield prior to the throw.
It's a play Def. Coordinators have to hate because it rarely gets called because the referees have too many other things to look at during a play.

It was on the TD pass to Bateman that was called back for holding. One of those RPO plays and some OL got downfield prior to the throw.
It's a play Def. Coordinators have to hate because it rarely gets called because the referees have too many other things to look at during a play.

That was a thing of beauty...great throw from Zack.

I saw all I needed to with Faalele when he hit a guy in the end zone and drove him down to the ground. He kind of kicked the guy in a way that wasn't vicious, but sort of like "stay down you little runt". it was kind of like he had an attitude. I loved it.

Anyone else see it?

I saw all I needed to with Faalele when he hit a guy in the end zone and drove him down to the ground. He kind of kicked the guy in a way that wasn't vicious, but sort of like "stay down you little runt". it was kind of like he had an attitude. I loved it.

Anyone else see it?
He kind of stood over him as he got up.

Guy was about 7 yards away from the play it appeared.

If Faalele gets his hands on you he pretty much puts you wherever he wants to put you.

That was the play where both sides got called for unsportsmanlike. And I think it was because Faalele stood over the guy, like you said. He got pissed and started shoving/punching, or it was one his teammates, the ref saw him shove someone, but one of our guys also got caught, maybe Olson?

The flag was definitely on Olson. He and a Nebbie mixed it up a little after the whistle, with Olson getting hands in the other guy's face.

Faalele and Andries buried a guy in the end zone, with one of them coming down on him intentionally hard but not dirty. Faalele's contact with the guy after the play seemed incidental, but the Nebraska player grabbed his leg, and Big Dan just raised his hands and walked away. Smart.

If Olson and his guy hadn't gotten into it, there likely wouldn't have been any penalties.

JTG

In the third quarter, I had both guys at 15-for-16 run blocking (94%) and 10-for-11 pass blocking (91%).

Pretty impressive quarter, offensively. Rammed the ball down Nebraska's throat with nine straight runs. If that drive hadn't fizzled at the 3-yard line ... well, I guess we talk enough about ifs.

A couple things:

• On the failed 4th-and-goal pass, Faalele was confronted with rushers inside and outside, while Andries was covered. Typically, linemen protect inside first, because that's the quickest route to the QB. Faalele locked up with the outside guy, allowing the inside rusher to hit QB Morgan on his follow through. Morgan had enough time, but just barely.

• The Gophs ran behind Faalele on a 2nd-and-6 to set up the 1st-and-goal. TE Paulson had another nice block on the play.

• RB Ibrahim had a hell of a block on the 4th-and-1 run a few plays earlier -- a solid, bone-rattling collision that he got the best of.

• Andries showed some mobility. He slid off a double-team block with Weyler and picked off a LB on one play. On the option keeper shortly after Nebraska's TD, he fired out and not only sealed the MLB, but locked him up and took him five yards downfield.

Even knowing the final score, I can't say I haven't been entertained watching (and re-watching) the first three quarters. To be honest, I'm a little surprised.

JTG

Both Faalele and Andries got perfect scores in the fourth quarter. In fact, Andries was better than perfect.

On Morgan's TD run from the 9, Andries worked a double-team with C Weyler on the line, then got five yards downfield and chopped down the LB at the 4 with a beautiful block to allow the easy score. Yeah, that's what you want your guard to do, but it's much easier said than done. I think that's the only play I scored a "2" all day.

(TE Paulson also had an effective block on the play. Kid can block. Can he catch? Doesn't have a reception all year.)

For the game, I had Faalele at 91% run blocking, and 93% pass blocking ... actually a slightly better performance than he had at OSU (86% run, 85% pass).

Andries came in at 100% run blocking and 91% pass blocking.

I think it's safe to say these guys aren't the problem. :D

A few notes:

• On the goalline interception, Faalele drove his man nearly three yards downfield. After the ball glanced off our receiver's hands, it deflected off Faalele's man before being picked off.

• On the failed two-point conversion attempt, Nebraska rushed seven while we protected with six. RB Williams couldn't quite handle the outside rusher, though that may be more of a plus for the defender than a minus for Williams. The 'Husker made a nice play. And the free man cleaned up for the sack.

• Late in the fourth quarter, Nebraska ran the same stunt on three straight plays, with the outside rushers crashing inside while the nose loops out around Faalele. Our boys did a nice job handing their guys off inside (which warrants a hat tip to Weyler), with Faalele then picking up the nose. No problem.

JTG

Both Faalele and Andries got perfect scores in the fourth quarter. In fact, Andries was better than perfect.

On Morgan's TD run from the 9, Andries worked a double-team with C Weyler on the line, then got five yards downfield and chopped down the LB at the 4 with a beautiful block to allow the easy score. Yeah, that's what you want your guard to do, but it's much easier said than done. I think that's the only play I scored a "2" all day.

(TE Paulson also had an effective block on the play. Kid can block. Can he catch? Doesn't have a reception all year.)

For the game, I had Faalele at 91% run blocking, and 93% pass blocking ... actually a slightly better performance than he had at OSU (86% run, 85% pass).

Andries came in at 100% run blocking and 91% pass blocking.

I think it's safe to say these guys aren't the problem. :D

A few notes:

• On the goalline interception, Faalele drove his man nearly three yards downfield. After the ball glanced off our receiver's hands, it deflected off Faalele's man before being picked off.

• On the failed two-point conversion attempt, Nebraska rushed seven while we protected with six. RB Williams couldn't quite handle the outside rusher, though that may be more of a plus for the defender than a minus for Williams. The 'Husker made a nice play. And the free man cleaned up for the sack.

• Late in the fourth quarter, Nebraska ran the same stunt on three straight plays, with the outside rushers crashing inside while the nose loops out around Faalele. Our boys did a nice job handing their guys off inside (which warrants a hat tip to Weyler), with Faalele then picking up the nose. No problem.

JTG

So did Gophs mostly run to the other side? Seemed that way to me as I was watching those two quite a bit.

So did Gophs mostly run to the other side? Seemed that way to me as I was watching those two quite a bit.

Didn't track it. I only counted 33 running plays, vs. 45 passing. Will try to keep an eye on that next time (and may expand to include more linemen).

JTG

Thank you very much for doing this Rockford.:cool:

Top Bottom