NCAA stats: Gophers 96th in total offense, 75th in total defense

Great Plains Gopher

Reaction score
Sound familiar? P.J. is now 2-11 in the B10, which is Wacker territory.

Wacker had better offense.

And I'm curious if this is a step up in offense over the last 5 years.

our defense looks Wacker like. Every run is either 9 yards (setting up 2 and 1 bombs) or 11 yards and a first down.

I'm surprised by our offensive ranking being that low.

Wacker had better offense.

And I'm curious if this is a step up in offense over the last 5 years.

our defense looks Wacker like. Every run is either 9 yards (setting up 2 and 1 bombs) or 11 yards and a first down.

Rankings by Year - Offense

2018 - 96
2017 - 110

2016 - 63
2015 - 106
2014 - 69
2013 -78
2012 -96
2011 - 111

2010 - 89
2009 - 100
2008 - 83
2007 - 68

2006 - 31
2005 - 10
2004 - 29
2003 - 7
2002 - 44
2001 - 49
2000 - 27

Defensive Rankings by year

2018 - 75
2017 - 37

2016 - 21
2015 - 45
2014 - 34
2013 - 23
2012 - 45
2011 - 93

2010 - 98
2009 - 51
2008 - 61
2007 - 110

2006 - 86
2005 - 80
2004 - 40
2003 - 35
2002 - 48
2001 - 74
2000 - 61

Last edited:

Are the rankings based on points or yards?

I'm not surprised by either of these rankings.

The better than expected defensive ranking is the result of having very stingy defense in the first three games: an average of 9 pts. per game given up and less than 300 yards allowed in all three games.

The poor offensive ranking is due to the fact that we haven't scored many points per game this year (we've topped the 30 mark only twice and we've had two games under 20 pts.) and we've only topped 400 yards twice.

Offensively, we came close to 400 yards against OSU and close to 500 against Nebraska. Our offense has improved and our rating should improve as we go through the season if we can build on our recent performance.

Unfortunately, our defensive rating will probably decline as we progress and those first three games have less weight.

I'm not at all. Gophs were close to 150 yards above their season average Saturday and that moved them up probably 10 spots this week in total offense, so going into Lincoln Gophs were ranked about the same as the end of last year. Through seven games the offensive production is on par with last year and the defense has taken a large step backwards.

If that does not change, I'm going to start to worry about losing some 2019 commits.

Kill didn't take over a 9 win team that had just won a nice bowl game over a decent team.

Kill took over a program that had been to a bowl game 2 out of the 3 previous years. He then tried to convince everyone to feel sorry for him for supposedly how hard he had it at Minnesota.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Was on the road for ten days, beyond BTN reach, and just saw the Ohio State tape last night. Wow! the Gophers looked great - if Ohio State had not crawled to that first down, the play preceding the TD pass, game might have been different (they didn't review it, but he seemed clearly short). And why have Zack throwing long on that interception late? Haven't seen Nebraska tape yet, but apparently we lost Zack at halftime. Gophers must beat Indiana, Illinois and Northwestern - a tall order. Did see Purdue/Ohio State - fabulous effort by Purdue all game. Now we are down to one QB?

Or is it Jerry Kill territory? He started 3-10 in the Big Ten.

Except we hired Fleck to be a step up........ Kill and Mason had similar records. Yippee. I thought we were looking to upgrade the coaching, not just the salary.

Kill took over a program that had been to a bowl game 2 out of the 3 previous years. He then tried to convince everyone to feel sorry for him for supposedly how hard he had it at Minnesota.

If you don’t think JK inherited a dumpster fire then you simply weren’t paying attention.

If you don’t think JK inherited a dumpster fire then you simply weren’t paying attention.

Wait a minute........a team that started connor rhoda, then had to go to Demry Croft, with a crap offensive line, with no defensive line, and lost it's secondary(all to the NFL due to graduation) and the leftovers were involved in a sex train..........you don't think that was a dumpster fire?

That was a dumpster fire of epic proportions! EPIC

Last edited:

Those YoY stats display that we have always been mediocre to bad. Might as well just let fleck have his shot at doin better. There really is nothing to lose

Except we hired Fleck to be a step up........ Kill and Mason had similar records. Yippee. I thought we were looking to upgrade the coaching, not just the salary.

Maybe give him more than 1 and a half seasons and 1 full recruiting class. Just a thought.

Kill exaggerated a story and people bought it.

Kill didn't take over a 9 win team that had just won a nice bowl game over a decent team.

Fleck didn’t take over a 9 win team either. 9 key starters graduatated. That’s 40% of the starters, plus the loss of depth in the defensive backfield.

The last game under the dumpster fire we beat a ranked team not named Nebraska.

That's the last time that happened.

Kill’s 1st 2 years points per game

Offense 20.25
Defense 28.25

Fleck (so far)

Offense 24
Defense 25.7

Kill hardly had a dumpster fire despite what he said. (but if you want to believe everything a salesy guy like him sells ya...)

That first year with Kill, he had:
23 Seniors
18 Juniors
50 Sophomores
10 Freshman

That's a lot of experience.

That includes returning seniors at WR, RB, and a Junior QB. (One of our highest ranked QB's ever who is still in the NFL as a TE today).

The dumpster fire Kill took over had the following ranked recruiting classes:

2010 - 52
2009 - 35
2008 - 26
2007 - 48

Kills first years of recruits (next 4 years) were 57, 59, 67, 57.

So from a talent standpoint, Kill had far more to work with.
I wonder if he ever wrote Brewster an thank you.

2010 - 52
2009 - 35
2008 - 26
2007 - 48

Just curious, how many of the 2008 class played and were still around in 2011?

Maybe give him more than 1 and a half seasons and 1 full recruiting class. Just a thought.

Fleck will have plenty of time.

The approach of Defending Flecks record by comparing it to two coaches that did not have the success we’d like - win a conference champ, go to the rose bowl - seems like a bad idea is all I’m saying.

He may turn out to be just fine. He may not. Blaming the players and defending the scheme and coaching - which has been abysmal, particularly on D, particularly in year two is an indication to me that his belief in his process is so great, he’s ignoring the problems we have beyond talent. That’s not a good indication that things will get better.

Wait a minute........a team that started connor rhoda, then had to go to Demry Croft, with a crap offensive line, with no defensive line, and lost it's secondary(all to the NFL due to graduation) and the leftovers were involved in a sex train..........you don't think that was a dumpster fire?

That was a dumpster fire of epic proportions! EPIC

I didn’t comment on PJ’s team at all. I simply said that Kill inherited a dumpster fire. Does it have to be either/or?

2010 - 52
2009 - 35
2008 - 26
2007 - 48

If only there was some way to gauge actual talent 10-years later besides looking at an arbitrary projection made before they ever even stepped on campus (and assumed all would step on campus)?

Kill hardly had a dumpster fire despite what he said. (but if you want to believe everything a salesy guy like him sells ya...)

That first year with Kill, he had:
23 Seniors
18 Juniors
50 Sophomores
10 Freshman

That's a lot of experience.

That includes returning seniors at WR, RB, and a Junior QB. (One of our highest ranked QB's ever who is still in the NFL as a TE today).

Holy F......!!

Just curious, how many of the 2008 class played and were still around in 2011?

A pretty solid core.
Looks like about 7-9 of the 22 starters were from that class alone.

Marqueis Gray - QB
Brandon Green - WR
Da'Jon McKnight - WR
Eric Lair - TE - reserve

Brandon Kirksey - NT
D.L. Wilhite - DE
Keanon Cooper - LB
Spencer Reeves - LB
Gary Tinsley - LB
Shady Salamon - LB - reserve
Ryan Grant - LB - reserve
Troy Stoudermire - CB