Allen on Minnesota

swingman

Reaction score
Q. You haven't talked much about Minnesota. What kind of challenges do they present Friday?
COACH ALLEN: I think, first of all, their defensive front, like you said, with tackles for loss and sacks they create, that's always a big concern. And bottom line is we have got to do a great job up front once again, challenge our guys today, talked about it today, about protecting our quarterbacks and running the football and that's the huge emphasis we have because that's what they present. That's what they do really, really well.

And offensively they've just gotten better and better every single week. They started fast and won their first three and got into Big Ten play and played some really good football teams, but have consistently moved the football. Haven't always scored in the red zone. They've talked about that.

But at the same time they've got themselves down there, and they pin people down. Their special teams are excellent. And really impressed with their kickers. Their cover units are really, really strong. The return units are strong. So well-coached football team, very well-coached. And the coach did a great job in that regard in terms of how the team plays and techniques they play with and special teams is something that sticks out to me for them for sure.

And you go on the road, play our best football. And one day shorter, other than that everything else is the same. And very, very important football game for our program. We have to have our best week of preparation for this one and that's my expectation and we'll have a good day today.

Q. They have quarterback injuries of their own. What's the challenge of preparing for two?
COACH ALLEN: Yeah, we don't really know what's going to happen with that. And the backup came in and played the whole second half and did a lot of good things. So similar. So it's not like you're dramatically different styles. I don't see their scheme changing a lot.

But very, very RPO-driven and have ran the ball well and throw off the runs and do a good job with that. They're built for that. And they do a good job with that and have really one of the more talented receivers we've faced and saw them in the spring. We watched all our opponents in the spring and their spring game and he did some great things there. Got my attention real fast in that game and he hasn't disappointed since in regards to his production and how well he's played.

So the team that we have to play our best football

That's all I have for the game. We obviously play a team up in Minnesota, first Friday night game we've had here for a long time. I think the last time we had was against Minnesota and it's been a few years ago. That was due to the, might have been World Series or some type of baseball conflict with the schedule and played in there and I think in the 80s, and so heading back up there for Friday night game and Coach Fleck has a young team. He's a new coach there that has an amazing amount of energy and passion, what he's built there. So they're going to be a tremendously hard-fought, physical game and they've got a lot of playmakers on offense coming together and playing better every single week and defense that flies around, one of the top in Big Ten in tackles for loss and has the sack leader for Big Ten right now. And has several good players and they do a great job of playing really, really hard and playing together.

Great challenge for us, get back on the road, get back where we want to be. It's a very important week, both teams on the same schedule. Both teams played on Saturday. Both teams have the same amount of time to prepare so we have to modify our schedule, and we have. Excited about this new opportunity to head to Minnesota and take on the Gophers Friday night

Thanks for posting. I’ve always liked Hoosiers football but not their basketball team. They have had good running backs over the years and of course Randle El. Wish we still played them almost every year.

Geez the way Fleck and Allen go on you would think we are getting ready to watch Bama play Clemson in the playoffs. What he really wants to say..."Offensively they look pretty good but that defense sucks and Nebby hung a ton of yards on them, record breaking yards...and our offense has been better than them so I like our chances".

Watched some of the Indiana PSU tilt tonight and the drop off in talent between Nebraska and Indiana is pretty stark IMO. However, they remind me of a Kill era squad. They are solid but not spectacular. Their QB is light years less frightening than Adrian Martinez. Their skill guys are not as scary. Good offensive line. Defense seems to know what it’s doing although not loaded with top tier talent. I’m mildly encouraged we may have a chance.

Watched some of the Indiana PSU tilt tonight and the drop off in talent between Nebraska and Indiana is pretty stark IMO. However, they remind me of a Kill era squad. They are solid but not spectacular. Their QB is light years less frightening than Adrian Martinez. Their skill guys are not as scary. Good offensive line. Defense seems to know what it’s doing although not loaded with top tier talent. I’m mildly encouraged we may have a chance.

Is it a power rushing attack a la Iowa? Or more speed based like Maryland? If the former I like our chances more.

I don’t recall much misdirection/motion which along with play action passing seems to be the defense’s kryptonite. That will probably play to our relative strength on defense. Can they pass on us? Saw some 22, IIRC mostly inside runs, some QB inverted veer. More Iowa-like. We may match up better vs their receivers. Again, small sample size and watching out the corner of my eye but I was somewhat encouraged.

Top Bottom