If You Were the Rule Czar for NCAA Basketball, which Rules Would You Change ?

I would also add that obvious flopping results in suspensions. You get one mulligan, after that you're suspended the next game.

Shot clock is currently 30 seconds in college. It was changed a few years ago.

That feels right sized to me. For perspective, it used to be 45. When I hear someone say, why the extra 6 seconds (compared to the NBA), it makes my blood boil. I watch college basketball because it's NOT the NBA.

1. No TV timeouts.

2. Timeouts by players only.

3. 1 timeout per half for each team.

4. Players can make money off of their likenesses

5. Allow players to transfer without penalty if a coach leaves

6. Coaches, ADs, and univesity presidents are all penalized for cheating. If a coach moves jobs, then the new employer inherits the previous school's sanctions.

7. Death penalty for 1st time, egregious violations like Penn St. football. The game can never too big and important to cover up crimes to protect wins.

8. Replace the NCAA with a new governing entity. The NCAA is too corrupt to be allowed to manage anything.

I definately like the elimination of some of the timeouts. Not sure exactly what the answer is for how many each team should get, but my problem with all the timeouts is that everytime an arena has a chance to get loud the coach just calls timeout because he knows he's got a million tv timeouts anyways.

A non-game related change:

Remove the sit-out-one-year transfer rule, but limit the number of transfers that any given program can accept in a four year span.

I think this would accomplish 2 things: it would add risk for programs who depend on a new crop of one and done or two and done players every year since they wouldn’t be able to supplement with transfers every year, and it would limit the overall number of transfers acting as free agents due to availability of places to land.

I’m assuming there would be a bunch of waivers for hardship and coaching changes if necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Players get an extra foul if a game goes into OT meaning even previously fouled out players can come back in.
Option to take the ball out of bounds rather than take free throws on fouls in the last 5 minutes of a game.
I like these.

Players get an extra foul if a game goes into OT meaning even previously fouled out players can come back in.
Option to take the ball out of bounds rather than take free throws on fouls in the last 5 minutes of a game.

No to the 2nd. You think games are long now? Teams would go for the steal, then foul. Repeat.

No to the 2nd. You think games are long now? Teams would go for the steal, then foul. Repeat.

I can't imagine out of bounds plays would take longer than free throws. And it's optional, not mandatory. If a team struggles to get the ball in cleanly, they would simply take the free throws like they do today.

I think a rule change like this could be tested in the NIT like they did some things last year just to see the effect.

That feels right sized to me. For perspective, it used to be 45. When I hear someone say, why the extra 6 seconds (compared to the NBA), it makes my blood boil. I watch college basketball because it's NOT the NBA.

Agreed

1. One timeout per team per game

2. Timeouts only on whistles or made baskets (basketball is the only sport I know where you can bail yourself out of a bad live ball situation by calling a timeout in the middle of play)

3. Only review the time left on the clock if the clock reads 0:00 and you might put time back on, or if the timekeeper signals they made an error stopping it. When we review for precise time on every made basket in the last few seconds, that effectively prevents teams from being able to do a quick inbound and run up court to catch the other team off guard or celebrating their go ahead basket.

Top Bottom