Support / Perspective

PoockItInfor6

Reaction score
I trust the process. Before this season most in here were predicting 4-8, 5-7, 6-6, and the most optimistic were around 7-5. Since then, we’ve had a lot of injuries to our best players, have shown some encouraging games (Fresno State, Ohio State), some very disappointing games (Maryland, Nebraska), but a lot of individual players that seem like they are capable cogs of a top tier B1G team (Smith, TJ, Bateman, Coughlin, Cashman, Winfield, etc.), and a host of others that seem like they will be as they mature (CAB, Faalele, presumably Dunlop, Smith, etc.). Annexstad and Morgan after this week have both shown ability (and expected rookie mental gaffes). I’ve been frustrated with the big plays allowed by our defense like anyone else, but I’d expect that we are capable of fixing those issues. Long story short, my money is on a 5-7 or 6-6 season, which is slightly disappointing, but in my humble opinion really doesn’t change our future outlook (especially with injuries sustained this year).

I’m expecting progress to show in our record next year, and a solid finish to this year’s recruiting, but I think we are right on the schedule that was laid out all along.

I just said it in another thread, this is a great panic week because of what Nebraska's record was, but Nebraska wasn't horrible. Played two games with walk on QB at starter.
They played WI tougher than they did last year.
Should have beat NW.

Meanwhile, we have 5 road games and 4 home games.

Our home game we played was against the toughest team we'll play at home in Iowa.

We lost at OSU and Nebraska. (A lot of teams across the nation get really upset when they lose at these two middling football programs).
And we lost at Maryland for whatever reason.

When we go 0-3 in our next three home games, we can all get a little more upset, but even then it's too early to do anything but change the defensive coordinator.

I'm slowly reviewing the Nebraska tape, primarily to grade the performance of Faalele and Andries, but I'm seeing some good things ... at least on offense.

We need a couple wins.

JTG

Look at the box score for Nebraska. They play *by far* their best game of the season. Everyone was clicking. Martinez was 25-29 with 3TD's and no picks. His QBR was 92.2! That was the 9th best rating of the week: http://www.espn.com/ncf/qbr/_/type/player-week . He also ran for 125 yards.

Now, I was at the game and many of those passes were short outs that we had soft coverage on, but still the completion percentage was near 90%.

I think there was a number of factors that impacted the game and a lot was the Gophers fault, but you cannot ignore the fact that Nebraska played their best game of the season last Saturday.

I'm slowly reviewing the Nebraska tape, primarily to grade the performance of Faalele and Andries, but I'm seeing some good things ... at least on offense.

We need a couple wins.

JTG

It was by far our best offensive performance against a quality team. In terms of total offense, it was eclipsed only by the game against awful New Mexico State. If Tanner plays against Indiana, he has enough running ability to get some yards on his own to keep drives alive. In that case, I think we have enough offense to beat Indiana (and Illinois and Northwestern too). Indiana gave up significantly more yards against Iowa and OSU than we did.

We have to commit to stopping the run against Indiana. They have a fair passing offense but not particularly explosive. We have demonstrated against Iowa and OSU that we can stop the run. I don't think much can be done in the short run that will significantly improve our pass defense. If we close down the run, at least we have a chance.

Most of us knew that it was going to be a tough year. When the going got tough the posters went bonkers along with the trolls in joy. Look at what happen with Ohio State and Purdue. Things happen.

Most of us knew that it was going to be a tough year. When the going got tough the posters went bonkers along with the trolls in joy. Look at what happen with Ohio State and Purdue. Things happen.

not according to this: http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?83281-How-many-wins-this-season-(excluding-bowl-game)

roughly 22.5% thought we'd have 5 wins or less.
roughly 77.5% thought we'd be .500 or better (granted it's still possible, but let's be real...highly unlikely)
6 wins is better than last year, so in my mind that isn't a tough year...it's hopeful and better

Last edited:

I agree there were good things in the game and that we have to let the process play out. My issue is that as a team (which includes the coaching staff), we seem to be regressing not progressing.

you cannot ignore the fact that Nebraska played their best game of the season last Saturday

Who's ignoring that? And who were they playing against that allowed them to play their best game of the season?

Look at the box score for Nebraska. They play *by far* their best game of the season. Everyone was clicking. Martinez was 25-29 with 3TD's and no picks. His QBR was 92.2! That was the 9th best rating of the week: http://www.espn.com/ncf/qbr/_/type/player-week . He also ran for 125 yards.

Now, I was at the game and many of those passes were short outs that we had soft coverage on, but still the completion percentage was near 90%.

I think there was a number of factors that impacted the game and a lot was the Gophers fault, but you cannot ignore the fact that Nebraska played their best game of the season last Saturday.

That's called good coaching by Nebraska(they knew we would be in soft zone and ran routes to take advantage of that. It's no secret and every team we face from here on out will do the same) and poor coaching by Minnesota(we didn't do enough scheme wise to make Nebraska change their approach all game).

It's one game.... we'll be fine.

No, it's not one game. 42, 48, 30, and 53 points allowed in conference games. The offense has improved and might be able to win a game while giving up 30 but we aren't going to win any games giving up 40.

No, it's not one game. 42, 48, 30, and 53 points allowed in conference games. The offense has improved and might be able to win a game while giving up 30 but we aren't going to win any games giving up 40.

Well, now you're looking back a full month just for things to be negative about.

Well, now you're looking back a full month just for things to be negative about.

I'm guessing that statement isn't intended to be nonsensical (or maybe it is) but I don't see any other way to take it.

Looks like recent history to me.

If we go on a 4 game win streak, does that mean we shouldn't enjoy that b/c the threat of losing is right around the corner? After all, that'd be recent history also known as "looking back a full month."

I cannot, at this present time, foresee the day when the Gophers aren't the beat down little brother of the other B1G teams.

Take it easy man, we'll be fine.

We are young.
No upperclassman talent.
Nebraska wasn’t bad - just had bad luck.
Everything clicked for them on one day.
Best players hurt.
No one expected us to be good.
Did I miss any Perspective?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are young.
No upperclassman talent.
Nebraska wasn’t bad - just had bad luck.
Everything clicked for them on one day.
Best players hurt.
No one expected us to be good.
Did I miss any Perspective?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, you forgot to mention that 77% of them thought we were going to be good.
Wait...they forgot that's how they voted. That's "on me"....I mean on them.

I cannot, at this present time, foresee the day when the Gophers aren't the beat down little brother of the other B1G teams.

Well, our time could still come. Stranger things have happened. From 1972 through 1994, Northwestern never had a winning season. From the late eighties to the early nineties, Wisconsin had 8 straight losing seasons.

Well, our time could still come. Stranger things have happened. From 1972 through 1994, Northwestern never had a winning season. From the late eighties to the early nineties, Wisconsin had 8 straight losing seasons.
I think of us as Cubbie fans, before they won the World Series. Lovable losers. Next year...

Heres a question: will MN win the B1G before football is outlawed or totally changed from the game we know today?

We need a couple wins.

JTG

We need **A** win. As badly as Nebraska needed it last week. We gotta start somewhere. And ideally, we need 3 out of the last 5. Somehow, some way.

I'm excited about the future of the offense. They have a chance to be really good in a year or two. Very concerned with the defense though. I didn't expect them to be lights out or anything but didn't expect them to be this bad.

I'm still optimistic for the future but there definitely are some concerns right now. Either there needs to be a change at defensive coordinator this offseason or there needs to be big changes in scheme.

I can't be upset about this season. Apparently the Gophers were picked to finish 12th out of 14 teams by the media, so it should have been my expectation that the season would not turn out well.

Top Bottom