Big Ten Women's Preseason Rankings

Gophers picked third in media poll; Michigan picked third in coaches poll. Coaches have Bell as unanimous first team pick; Bell not unanimous media pick. Pitts a media first team pick; not a pick among coaches voting. Minnesota native Wittinger of Illinois picked by both coaches and media. She's made a nice career for herself. She would have looked good in a Gopher uniform. Anyone know if the Gophers offered?

I've said it before, but I think people are overrating Michigan going into the season.

I guess my question is why would coaches leave the Big Ten Freshman of the year off pre-season all-conference. Are they expecting her to fall of that much? I would have Pitts over Oden, Whitish, Kunaiyi-Akpanah, and Wittinger Frankly.

And the media overlooked MSU's Colley. I think Colley should have been included instead of any of a number of the others.

I guess my question is why would coaches leave the Big Ten Freshman of the year off pre-season all-conference. Are they expecting her to fall of that much? I would have Pitts over Oden, Whitish, Kunaiyi-Akpanah, and Wittinger Frankly.

Does this help?

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

http://womenshoopsworld.com/2018/10/28/big-ten-will-have-a-brand-new-look-this-season/

More B1G Projections: These from Women's Hoops World

1 Maryland
2 Iowa
3 Minnesota
4 Michigan
5 Nebraska
6 Ohio State
7 Purdue
8 Michigan State
9 Penn State
10 Rutgers
11 Indiana
12 Illinois
13 Northwestern
14 Wisconsin

Minnesota (last year 24-9, 11-5)

Without their new coach Lindsay Whalen, Minnesota would still be a top team in the Big Ten. But with their new coach, they are a top story in the nation, as the homegrown superstar has returned to lead the Golden Gophers, with eyes toward repeating the still-discussed 2004 Final Four run when she ran point for Minnesota. Last year’s team set multiple single-season program records with their offense, including points scored and points per game.

“As a player, you do what you can to be physically ready for practice, and then you practice and you’re done for the day,” she said. “With coaching, you’re studying video, thinking of different ways that the team can be successful, thinking of different drills.”

“You’re always kind of thinking about the next practice and the next game. It doesn’t just end when practice is over for that day. As a player, for the most part it just ends, so having that has been an adjustment.”

Minnesota must find a way to replace All-Big Ten First Team Carlie Wagner, who averaged 18.7 points and ended her career as the third leading scorer in program history. Fortunately, they have redshirt senior Kenisha Bell, a unanimous All-Big Ten First Team selection last year after averaging 20 points, 5.4 rebounds and 6.8 assists. Last year’s Big Ten Freshman of the Year Destiny Pitts, as well as a roster that returns nine of 12 players, joins the do-everything guard.

Player to watch: Bell. One of the top players in the league has a chance to prove she is a top player in the nation, and take last year’s AP Honorable Mention All-American and become a First Team All-American this year. She helps her team through scoring, rebounding and finding her teammates, making her incredibly difficult to defend.

Half full: Minnesota was already improving, and simply continuing the trend would put them near the top of the Big Ten. But bringing in Whalen, an all-time great in both college and the WNBA, should excite a fan base that sold out arenas to watch that 2004 team. Whalen was known as a coach on the floor during her playing days, and brings an incredibly high basketball IQ. The Golden Gophers have top players in Bell and Pitts to go along with good depth.

Half empty: Wagner may prove to be irreplaceable, as teams can now focus more of their defensive energy on Bell. Whalen is a proven winner on the court, but nothing is known about her coaching. It often takes time to adjust to a new coach, and Minnesota and Whalen may prove no different.

Projection: Bell and Pitts are an incredibly strong duo, and returning almost an entire team puts Minnesota in an enviable position. The Golden Gophers will be a top team in the league, and with Whalen given a full season to recruit, will be poised to remain there for years to come.

A couple of additional thoughts. These polls and projections were made before the Gophers lost Gadiva. Her loss should have a negative impact, unless some of her teammates can step it up. (i.e.--Brunson, Staples, Bello.) Although the Gophers might be able to replace the scoring, it's going to be difficult to replace all the things she did last year. And we also have to remember that the Gophers will have to replace Wagner's offense and some of the rebounding that she did.

On a more positive note, Maryland and Iowa are the two teams picked to finish above the Gophers in the BIG. Last year, the Gophers played Maryland once and blew them out at Williams. The Gophers played the Hawkeyes three times and won twice. That's a cause for optimism.

Top Bottom