Are we...?

MaxyJR1

Reaction score
...the most sensitive insecure fan base in town?

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Barriero is one of many sports media TURDS in this market, you know who they all are. They are a BIG part of the general apathy of sports fans who are not necessarily followers of Gopher Football, but could be. These journalists (?) and yap radio show commenters DRIVE the general apathy and negativity.

Negative journalism is easy, and lazy.

Barriero is a loser. I don't how many times a day he says, "well we've got alot to talk about," and then he rambles forever what he has to talk about. Get to the meat of things instead of well we've got alot to talk about and all that rambling.

Some people really go out of their way to rip on Fleck.

Some people really go out of their way to rip on Fleck.

I mean sure the Minnesota on the back of the white jersey pre-dates Fleck.....but why let little details get in the way of being outraged....

Barreiro is a cheap shot artist.

There isn't a lazier group of media than the Minnesota media covering Gopher Football. (Chip Scoggins being the exception because he actually enjoys college football).

I don't quite get why everyone dislikes Barreiro. Yes I know he does go on some angry tantrums that are a little over the top, but he does seem to be willing to criticize both sides of arguments objectively. I think a lot of the criticism of Fleck is accurate and things that people should be criticized for. I know we are a young team but c'mon we haven't even really saw a spark at all during Fleck's tenure yet. I think it will come during some game this year and next year we will be a lot better (being Robb Smith-less helps too), but in the mean time from what we have saw we should expect criticism.

I mean sure the Minnesota on the back of the white jersey pre-dates Fleck.....but why let little details get in the way of being outraged....

I know for a fact that it has been on the gold jersey going back to Kill (maybe Brewster too) because I hate it. Put the player names on the back, please. I'm too stupid to remember who everyone is.

Yes - and Barrerio is correct. its not even close.

They discussed quickly on PA with Justin Gaard. Gaard said that he thinks it's the opposite. "Gopher fans are the most dedicated." Team loses for nearly 60 years and diehards like Nadine still tailgate and go to every game. They also feel that Gopher fans have the right to be insecure.

...the most sensitive insecure fan base in town?

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Well, to be fair. If any of our programs won once in awhile it would help. Of course they are going to write negative pieces, etc. Our major sports programs have done lots, and lots, and lots of losing.

Just win once in awhile and things will turn around. People don't even expect it every year. However, there is no reason they can't have a nice season every once in awhile.

We absolutely are. I've never seen a fan base that gets worked up about calling a bad team bad like we do.

Yep. We are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

team loses. Fans complain about negative media. media responds with sarcasm. what do you expect?

The real test will come when (and if) the team wins. if the Gophers had a really big year - went 10-2, won some trophy games, and won a significant bowl game, how would the media respond? if the media was still ripping the Gophers, then the fans would have a case.

I think there are some Gopher fans who are overly sensitive and insecure about media criticism. And there are other fans who accept it - or at least don't get bent out of shape over it.

Bump is wrong. It's Twins fans

The Twins fans are just without a clue.
They don't know bad baseball from good. They just keep showing up with smiles on their faces and rave about attending 20 games a year while losing 16 of them.

They are the equivalent of Packers fans in the early 80s.
Think they will win every game despite all of the signs that point otherwise. But they are happy because they got some new state fair food at the game for $19.

The Twins fans are just without a clue.
They don't know bad baseball from good. They just keep showing up with smiles on their faces and rave about attending 20 games a year while losing 16 of them.

They are the equivalent of Packers fans in the early 80s.
Think they will win every game despite all of the signs that point otherwise. But they are happy because they got some new state fair food at the game for $19.

Sorry but these are the kinds of fans I like. Those Packer fans that showed up during the down years or the Illini fans that have continued to cheer on their team. Gopher football has been there many times and is close to it again. Being a fan when there is no chance for the post season or bowl game is hard core.

Sorry but these are the kinds of fans I like. Those Packer fans that showed up during the down years or the Illini fans that have continued to cheer on their team. Gopher football has been there many times and is close to it again. Being a fan when there is no chance for the post season or bowl game is hard core.

Agree with you. I admit that I was just trying to get people going

I don't think it's all that unique to the Gopher fan base. Many other college athletic programs, even in other sports, have fan bases that get quite upset in regard to certain media outlets. This is even true for blue bloods and national powerhouses that have consistent success.

What I think the issue is in the Twin Cities and Minnesota in general, is that for the past several decades the Gophers have often been behind the four pro teams in terms of coverage. So, when media members, whether it's in print or broadcast, give the Gophers a hard time, I think there's a mentality where they're sort of "piling it on." What I'm getting is that there's a sense that the media largely ignores the Gophers, and when they do pay attention, it's usually in a negative light.

In all fairness, it's not surprising that the press is focusing on negative takes right now as a result of the football team's record. However, one of the things sections of the fanbase have trouble with are how it's presented. Often times it's done with a lot of snark and jabs at the program, rather than being a more straightforward, nuanced approach that focuses on the numbers and statistics from game-to-game.

For me, it's one of the reasons I've grown more accustomed to reading the takes from SB Nation.

Its kind of like being blown out and having the other team pass in the final minutes or go for two. If you don't like it, stop them. I regularly get irritated at what I see on Twitter or in the comment sections of publications by casual fans ripping on the Gophers. Occasionally this irritation drives me to "take names" so I can gloat and say something like "what do you think of those hopeless Gophers now!" - But in reality even if I wanted to get caught up in fighting the negativity, it has to start with a conference or at least division title and let's face it, I have been waiting for that my entire life. So it is better to just let all that negativity go, don't read it, and certainly don't let it bother you. It isn't going to go away until trophies find their way to the trophy case.

I know for a fact that it has been on the gold jersey going back to Kill (maybe Brewster too) because I hate it. Put the player names on the back, please. I'm too stupid to remember who everyone is.

Right there with you on that one. Would much rather have the names on the back, especially with a young team like this where a lot of the guys are in their first or second year in the program.

But funny that someone would pick that to blast Fleck since he wasn't the one to start it and it has nothing to do with him.

I regularly get irritated at what I see on Twitter or in the comment sections of publications by casual fans ripping on the Gophers. Occasionally this irritation drives me to "take names" so I can gloat and say something like "what do you think of those hopeless Gophers now!"

I find myself using the bookmark feature a lot on twitter in hopes I’ll be able to go back and “stick it” to the haters. Gopher Twitter and this board are a dark place right now. Hope to find light Friday.

I know we are a young team but c'mon we haven't even really saw a spark at all during Fleck's tenure yet.

That Fresno St game was fun! Fresno St is going to be a Top 25 team soon. It’s what I look back on to still have hope moving forward. We were a lot healthier (Winfield, ZA wasn’t hobbled & even Rodney for 2 plays).

We are insecure and sensitive, but we do kind of have a right to be.

This town's sportswriters and sports personalities have a long history of being enamored with the pro sports franchises in this town. It is almost as if our sports media in this town is star struck by the professional athletes. The amount of time spent on the Vikings is at least partially understandable because this town is Vikings crazy, but the amount of TV and radio spent on the T-Wolves and to a lesser degree the Wild is astounding. Mackey, Judd, Barriero etc. spend hours talking about the players on the T-Wolves like they are little girls talking about boy bands. And considering how small the following of the T-Wolves in it just doesn't add up.

Top Bottom