Tyrone Carter forfeits 5th grade fball game, addresses teams about life/fball (video)

I'm aware of how the game is played at that level, and I'm also aware that weary bodies/minds bring about poor technique and missed assignments allowing for more danger and more chances for "real" tackles. There is a reason pediatricians don't recommend tackle until 7th/8th grade. Furthermore, many communities nationwide don't have tackle programs until then.

Yes, pediatricians are recommending all kids under 14 1/2 be placed in bubble wrap and to not participate in any games involving physical activity. No one should have to go thru what all kids have had to endure the last few hundred years. It's science.

The Osseo coach was not disrespected on purpose. He TC has beef about the back judge the larger ref throwing flags well after play is over, and the late hits and cheap shots were pretty late in field of play. After 4 cheap shots i think I would have been more than a lite pissed. On the fumbles punt by St Francis is clear recovery by MPLS kid until pig like at the end. Adults lose their cool in this situation, but ref and parents yelling at each other. One I will say is I have seen a lot more yelling at youth soccer games, and chewing out the umps at youth coach pitch and tball then parents were doing in this game. Flags seemed to be unevenly called in the Instagram post. Still it's youth football supposed to be more about fun then screaming and yelling. All parents should teach the game is about having fun with your buddies, having a good time, not life or death. No sense in hitting someone late or malice.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Well I can tell you as a long time umpire of youth baseball that the "beefs" coaches have about one team getting calls or whatever is about as silly as it gets. For that to be true one has to assume that a person would seek out a job paying maybe 50 bucks tops a game, so that they could fix a youth sporting event? To what end?

Many youth leagues in all sports are having an extremely hard time finding anyone to ref or officiate games because dealing with people like Tyrone Carter just isn't worth it. He wants to pretend that the youth football community is conspiring to defeat his 5th grade team? It is all so silly. It is amazing that the kids in these leagues usually behave so much better than the adults.

Well I can tell you as a long time umpire of youth baseball that the "beefs" coaches have about one team getting calls or whatever is about as silly as it gets. For that to be true one has to assume that a person would seek out a job paying maybe 50 bucks tops a game, so that they could fix a youth sporting event? To what end?

Many youth leagues in all sports are having an extremely hard time finding anyone to ref or officiate games because dealing with people like Tyrone Carter just isn't worth it. He wants to pretend that the youth football community is conspiring to defeat his 5th grade team? It is all so silly. It is amazing that the kids in these leagues usually behave so much better than the adults.

Not really, the biggest issue with youth sports is the behavior of the parents and coaches. It is amazing how delusional some of the adults get in their effort to live vicariously through their kids.

The Osseo coach was not disrespected on purpose. He TC has beef about the back judge the larger ref throwing flags well after play is over, and the late hits and cheap shots were pretty late in field of play. After 4 cheap shots i think I would have been more than a lite pissed. On the fumbles punt by St Francis is clear recovery by MPLS kid until pig like at the end. Adults lose their cool in this situation, but ref and parents yelling at each other. One I will say is I have seen a lot more yelling at youth soccer games, and chewing out the umps at youth coach pitch and tball then parents were doing in this game. Flags seemed to be unevenly called in the Instagram post. Still it's youth football supposed to be more about fun then screaming and yelling. All parents should teach the game is about having fun with your buddies, having a good time, not life or death. No sense in hitting someone late or malice.

It is all such a shame. I coached youth Hockey for many years. "Dirty" play is a problem with some coaches and it seemed like teams from some areas liked to bend the rules as far as being too rough and late hits. I doubt that the refs tried to favor one team over another, it is just that some refs tend to keep their whistles in their pockets with the idea of "letting the kids play". The refs in some areas tend to call games like the local association wants them to call them (they are the ones hiring the refs). I would suspect that the refs didn't call the games like TC expected them to call them and he thought it was unsafe for his kids to play. I think TC should have let his kids start playing the last game after he discussed his concerns with the refs. He still would have the chance to pull his kids off the field if the refs were letting the extra stuff get out of hand.

Thanks for clarifying. I would have done the same thing coach Carter did. He taught his players a valuable lesson. To paraphrase Booker T Washington, I shall not let any man drag me so low as to hate him. It is better to teach them that as important as football is, it is no excuse to retaliate with poor behavior. This is much more important for his players to understand, because they will most likely have to deal with a scenario like this again in life. TC protected his players and took the heat.

Like I said in another post, some 5th graders don't have the luxury to just be a 5th grader.

BTW Did anyone notice the players chanting there "culture" in the video? Sounds like someone we've been following for since last season...

Top Bottom