Tyrone Carter forfeits 5th grade fball game, addresses teams about life/fball (video)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Would be interesting to hear more of the backstory to all this. There are some additional comments in the Twitter feed but very little additional detail. Clearly TC was upset about something that happened in the previous games his team was in but it isn't really clear exactly what.

It sounds like he feels there were some cheap shots in the prior games that went unpunished. Certainly possible and have to stand up for your team but why the counseling session on the middle of the field. That was strange. Not sure what the message was - be strong by walking away and quitting the tourney? Need more details.

It sounds like he feels there were some cheap shots in the prior games that went unpunished. Certainly possible and have to stand up for your team but why the counseling session on the middle of the field. That was strange. Not sure what the message was - be strong by walking away and quitting the tourney? Need more details.

I feel bad for the other team because their coach asked TC to address why they were forfeiting to both teams and he went off on major tangent that really had nothing to do with those kids or why his team was forfeiting the game. From what I can gather from the comments on TC's post the issues had nothing to do with that team and those players it was all from earlier games.

I going to go out on a limb and say that the sociology department was grading on a curve for his essays....

That said, this dude was an awesome player. On defense, he was my second favorite all time Gopher behind Brandon Owens. It still sucks how Owens career ended because he had the talent to have been a star at the NFL level. But I loved both those guys because of how they played - full out breaking up passes and making tackles.

I would like to understand the whole story too. But to me it looks like TC is just trying to draw more attention to himself and his team. This forfeit was planned all along. The other team had nothing to do with it and deserved better. Seems very hypocritical of TC to talk about sportsmanship then to turn around and treat your opponent like this when they had nothing to do with the situation involving the previous 2 games.

Saddest thing of all is that we are talking about youth football here and these kids don't need to be around coaches like TC.

Just need to let the kids be kids and play the game and have fun. Let the officials officiate the game and both teams can shake hands after the game. Perhaps that concept is a thing of the past this day in age.

Speaking of TC, were him and Chuck Foreman fighting on FOX 9 Sports Primetime last week or was it all just in fun? I only saw bits and pieces of it but it looked like TC was trying to apologize to Foreman.

Where did TC's nephew end up going? I know that caused a riff with Fleck.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

5th graders... let the kids play the game. Take up your grievances with the tournament organizers and other coaches. I'm sure there were two teams full of disappointed kids that day that just wanted to play some ball.

I'm not sure how much TC is trying to make a name for himself versus him just not having the best judgement.

He forfeits a game and then talks for a couple minutes of why football is important. Seems contradictory, but this probably isn't worth investigating further.

A. Super high stakes here (5th grade football game) and you put yourself above the players and their opportunity to play. They're too young to care about principles/morals/etc. at this point - they just want to play some football.
B. A guy who thinks he is qualified to coach college football is coaching a bunch of 5th graders? LOL! Nothing like putting your time in and showing that you want to earn the opportunity!

In both cases - it's all about Tyrone!

tc is a legend. all american, jim thorpe award winner, 2x super bowl champ. straight legend.

It does seem odd to keep the kids from playing if the issue is with BigLakeFootball tournament...

Carter doesn’t seem right in the head. Wonder if he’s another former player with CTE.

I'm not sure how much TC is trying to make a name for himself versus him just not having the best judgement.

He forfeits a game and then talks for a couple minutes of why football is important. Seems contradictory, but this probably isn't worth investigating further.

CULTURE!

A. Super high stakes here (5th grade football game) and you put yourself above the players and their opportunity to play. They're too young to care about principles/morals/etc. at this point - they just want to play some football.
B. A guy who thinks he is qualified to coach college football is coaching a bunch of 5th graders? LOL! Nothing like putting your time in and showing that you want to earn the opportunity!

Really? Some children don't have that option. I think that maybe some of the players come from challenging environments. Listening to the video, I think that it might play a role here. We don't know. He might be trying to save a childs life. Until proven otherwise, I'll trust Tyrone Carter.

We need more info before we can pass judgement here.

Carter doesn’t seem right in the head. Wonder if he’s another former player with CTE.

I was talking to him on Twitter about the situation with his nephew. Nothing bad, just a few messages back and forth. Then I find out a few months I'm blocked by him. He's definitely a different guy.

It appears that he ended up cheating some poor little kids out of a football game so that he could give a speech(which conveniently was ready to be filmed) and put it on Twitter. Narcissism at its worst.

Agree. It's too bad that kids this young aren't allowed to just play for the love of the sport. They get a speech instead. Well, I hope the next day those kids did what we used to do. Get out the Nerf football and have crazy fun in vacant lot with your friends.

It would really help his case if he gave more specifics about the backstory. Otherwise he just looks foolish.

Football tournaments at any level are just plain stupid! Outside of keeping kids busy and giving the opportunity for them to have fun, they offer no positives for the players. They play multiple games per day and put them at higher risks for injuries.

I've played football from 3rd grade through college and coached at the HS and college levels since. Football is the one of the few sports that don't have to be picked up at an early age for high levels of success. I've had players come out for the first time as sophomores or juniors and graduate with football scholarships. Parents think they're doing their kids and their communities a great service by taking teams to tournaments for extra games against better competition, and it means nothing in terms of football success down the road!!

It's fun for kids but at the risk of increased injury. IMO that's not a risk I'm willing to shoulder!!!!! Bodies aren't meant to take the beatings of football--especially young bodies playing 3-5 games in a 2 day stretch. Injuries are part of the game; why make it more of a risk?

Lecture over.

Last edited:

Football tournaments at any level are just plain stupid! Outside of keeping kids busy and giving the opportunity for them to have fun, they offer no positives for the players. They play multiple games per day and put them at higher risks for injuries.

I've played football from 3rd grade through college and coached at the HS and college levels since. Football is the one of the few sports that don't have to be picked up at an early age for high levels of success. I've had players come out for the first time as sophomores or juniors and graduate with football scholarships. Parents think they're doing their kids and their communities a great service by taking teams to tournaments for extra games against better competition, and it means nothing in terms of football success down the road!!

It's fun for kids but at the risk of increased injury. IMO that's not a risk I'm willing to shoulder!!!!! Bodies aren't meant to take the beatings of football--especially young bodies playing 3-5 games in a 2 day stretch. Injuries are part of the game; why make it more of a risk?

Lecture over.

Great points! I agree.

Lecture over.

At higher levels yes, but 5th grade football isn't quite filled with grueling contact. It is a lot of running around and shirt grabbing.

<b>B. A guy who thinks he is qualified to coach college football is coaching a bunch of 5th graders? LOL! </b>Nothing like putting your time in and showing that you want to earn the opportunity!

This may be the first time I have seen someone ridiculed for volunteering their time to coach youth sports. Some even find it admirable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve never in a million years would think I would have to forfeit a game that love!!! But seeing what @BigLakeFootball tournament have did to my kids for two straight game I refuse to allow my kids hard work getting overlooked and treated unfairly because where they are from! pic.twitter.com/BK2u3hXq8w— Tyrone Carter (@TyroneCarter954) October 22, 2018

Go Gophers!!
It's youth sports, supposed to be fun and sportsmanship and learning the game in 5th grade. Sounds like the coach in this case TC, is implying or indicating that tournament organizers of the Big Lake football tournament treated his team different because of where they were from. Either scheduling games wise, or the teams they played treated them,b his football team with less than equal sportsmanship. That or the referees were not calling the game the same way because his kids are from Minneapolis or kids predominantly African American. It's obviously speculation, but he is clearly implying the tournament in Big Lake was a major negative for his team. I could be reading more in to it than I thought or is their, but he forfeited the game obviously for some type of substantial reason. It's to bad it sounds like his kids were not treated the same way by organizers or the opponents possibly because of where they are from. Could have been a jerk opponents coach too who was having his players over celebrate or acting different to because the volunteer coach appears on TV and has celebrity because of where he went to school. To bad he felt the need to forfeit game because, kids like to play games, and they practice hard for that. I hope on this instance no parents were acting foolish.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

At higher levels yes, but 5th grade football isn't quite filled with grueling contact. It is a lot of running around and shirt grabbing.

I'm aware of how the game is played at that level, and I'm also aware that weary bodies/minds bring about poor technique and missed assignments allowing for more danger and more chances for "real" tackles. There is a reason pediatricians don't recommend tackle until 7th/8th grade. Furthermore, many communities nationwide don't have tackle programs until then.

Last edited:

I'm aware of how the game is played at that level, and I'm also aware that weary bodies/minds bring about poor technique and missed assignments allowing for more danger and more chances for "real" tackles. There is a reason pediatricians don't recommend tackle until 7th/8th grade. Furthermore, many communities nationwide don't have tackle programs until then.

Oh so you are aware then?

It appears that he ended up cheating some poor little kids out of a football game so that he could give a speech(which conveniently was ready to be filmed) and put it on Twitter. Narcissism at its worst.
The Osseo coach was not disrespected on purpose. He TC has beef about the back judge the larger ref throwing flags well after play is over, and the late hits and cheap shots were pretty late in field of play. After 4 cheap shots i think I would have been more than a lite pissed. On the fumbles punt by St Francis is clear recovery by MPLS kid until pig like at the end. Adults lose their cool in this situation, but ref and parents yelling at each other. One I will say is I have seen a lot more yelling at youth soccer games, and chewing out the umps at youth coach pitch and tball then parents were doing in this game. Flags seemed to be unevenly called in the Instagram post. Still it's youth football supposed to be more about fun then screaming and yelling. All parents should teach the game is about having fun with your buddies, having a good time, not life or death. No sense in hitting someone late or malice.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Top Bottom