Leach > Kill; Brohm > Fleck ??

Coyle was always targeting Fleck, and he had to wait for Western Michigan to play in the Cotton Bowl. If Coyle really wanted Brohm, he could have made him an offer.

It wouldn't have been possible unless he fired Claeys during the season. Even if he fired him right after the Wisconsin meltdown he wouldn't have had enough time given Brohm was hired 12/5. We also would have been without a head coach for the bowl game.

It wouldn't have been possible unless he fired Claeys during the season. Even if he fired him right after the Wisconsin meltdown he wouldn't have had enough time given Brohm was hired 12/5. We also would have been without a head coach for the bowl game.

Did anyone else think that Coyle did not seem happy that we won that game?

I'm probably as big of a Coyle skeptic as there is here, but I don't think it would have been realistic to hire Brohm given the logistics. I do think the plan all along (as soon as Coyle arrived) was to fire Claeys, which is fine, an AD can do that. On paper, I think the Fleck hire was the logical choice (as was Motzko for hockey). I just didn't like the way the firing happened. I think Coyle set it up to make it look like he himself was the savior and "cleaning up the program".

Even if Brohm was available, I think Coyle would have chosen Fleck though. Coyle is not a marketer (he can't speak in public), so he wanted a coach that does the marketing for him and there really isn't anyone better out there at marketing than Fleck.

Did anyone else think that Coyle did not seem happy that we won that game?

That seems to be a theme folks bring up where folks say they thought he looked upset, but there seem to be more indications he was cheering more than anything else.

Seems a bit conspiracy theory ish to think he would really pout or something and not cheer in a public place .... even if he was gonna fire the guy regardless. My kid's are better liars than that, I don't think any given expression tells us anything.

The Gophers have traditionally hired the wrong coach or made the wrong move at the wrong time and that is one reason they have gone so long without making it to the Rose Bowl. Maybe the worst search committee ever came up with Les Steckel who turned the job down and they were left with no one on their list. They were going to go back to the drawing board and start over when they magically fell into Lou Holtz on December 20th, just a little over a month left before signing day. The next time around, Bobby Ross wanted the job but they decided to go with John Gutekunst. Ross went on to Georgia Tech and won a National Championship a few years later. I felt Leach was a guy who could have won here - he was a high risk but a potential high reward kind of guy. He has since proven that he is a dynamite coach. He is the type of guy that could bring a team to the Rose Bowl.

PJ Fleck might be that guy too but you are going to have to give him more time. He DOES have a team that is very young and inexperienced with severe depth issues at critical areas. Also the three injuries to his best 3 players did not help one bit. The recruits that he has brought in have been very impressive at least on paper and we are still unsure if this will translate to the football field. I would not even think about a new coach for at least 2 more years and then only if the team is in shambles and not progressing. I think he is going to turn it around but the Gopher fans are going to have to be very patient especially this season. Prediction: The Gophers get Winfield, Brooks and Smith back next year and the team improves both offensively and defensively across the board. The team makes it to a minor bowl and everyone goes back to worrying if someone is coming in to steal PJ Fleck. Relax everyone -- it's going to be ok and next year is going to be a lot better!!

I would have taken Leach in a heart beat. Still would...and I like Fleck.

Agree. My only small reservation with Leach is I personally don't like his offensive style. But I'll take winning! What's impressive is what he does with lowered rated classes. Here's their 247 national class rankings:

2018 = 45th
2017 = 44th
2016 = 56th
2015 = 42nd
2014 = 53rd

Don’t look now. But through 8 games it is possible Brohm and Fleck have same year two record.

But Purdue beat Ohio state
But Eastern Michigan beat Purdue

Don’t look now. But through 8 games it is possible Brohm and Fleck have same year two record.

But Purdue beat Ohio state
But Eastern Michigan beat Purdue

This should set up a showdown for supremacy in a few weeks.

I didn't know anyone got the pac 12 network. I live in Cali and can't even get it. Does the Pac 12 hate Washington St? All their games are on it...

I was looking for it too. Crazy that it’s not on a channel most people get.

Top Bottom