Leach > Kill; Brohm > Fleck ??

Schnauzer

Pretty Sure You are Wrong
Reaction score
Maturi considered Leach to be too big of a risk to even interview. Instead he went with an ever bigger (health) risk to hire Kill. Now Leach has taken what was a complete dumpster fire of a program and is hosting Gameday and competing for a conference championship with his ranked team.

Don’t get me wrong. I was a fan of Kill and we will never know where the team would have gone under his long term leadership had his health been good. In fact, at the time of his departure it could be said he was ahead of Washington State. But over the long haul with 20/20 hindsight - who among us wouldn’t like to go back in time and hire Leach in 2010?

So now we have what was seen as the hot up and coming coach in 2016. We are all about youth and our current staff is willing to gut the program to do it their way. We are told the only way to wash away 50 years of championship drought is to be this bad, now. Meanwhile Meat and Potatoes Brohm just hammered Ohio State on National TV and are positioned to make a run at a division championship in his second season.

It wasn’t lost on me that BOTH Washington State and Purdue ironically posted massive home wins on national TV last night with their fans flooding the field literally within moments of each other. WSU is now hosting Gameday. Gophers will be hosting an empty stadium through season’s end. Purdue has a full house of a packed stadium in a backwater town despite having competing programs located on all sides.

With a new stadium and a beautiful practice facility it can no longer be argued the Gopher problem is institutional commitment. It seems to be more of a problem of making the wrong choices for who leads the football program. The jury is still out on Fleck but yesterday’s disaster appears like it could be a turning point where the benefit of the doubt will no longer be easy for him to obtain from people that follow the program closely.

Where did Brohm rank when they lost to Eastern Michigan a few weeks ago?

MN has had some good coaches, but prefers Chasing shiny objects, or seems.

Honestly I think our biggest problem right now is just our DC. We have a semi-competent offense that can score, but you can expect to do well in the big ten when you consistently let 30+ points get s ored against you.

Honestly I think our biggest problem right now is just our DC. We have a semi-competent offense that can score, but you can expect to do well in the big ten when you consistently let 30+ points get s ored against you.
It's not just the coordinator. Our defense is lacking talent.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

In my mind, he raked quite high. He already had a victory over the Gophers (and others) in only his first year at a program that was left for dead.

I watched Brohm's teams many times at Western Kentucky (thanks to Fanduel). I loved him then and have been on record that he will outcoach and have a higher level of success than PJ.

Likely depends on if someone had watched any of Purdue last year or not. The team showed instant improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Likely depends on if someone had watched any of Purdue last year or not. The team showed instant improvement.

Yep, he won big at Missouri and Iowa, made bowl game where they beat Arizona. To say that is not impressive for a first year at Purdue is silly.

PJ should be a better coach and start 7 seniors on offense and three redshirt seniors and a junior in the secondary like Brohm does.
That must work better than what we're doing.

PJ should be a better coach and start 7 seniors on offense and three redshirt seniors and a junior in the secondary like Brohm does.

PJ should be a better coach and understand which direction he would prefer the wind to be blowing for a third and 7 play.

It's not just the coordinator. Our defense is lacking talent.

Disagee. There's enough talent and it shows at times. The sets and schemes are failing them.

That's right! They had so much success with those players before Brohm got there they fired the coach. Oh wait...maybe they didn't play under Hazell, so then they were worse than what they had.

Hmmm, maybe BROHM, and staff, develop their players and know enough football x and o wise to put them in places where the can maximize their abilities and succeed.

Don’t understand the point of this thread. Purdue fired their coach well before Minnesota and Minnesota fired it’s Coach well after Brohm was hired.

You can argue you wanted Claeys. It’s amazing the reaction after one game. Your post assumes a lot.

Disagee. There's enough talent and it shows at times. The sets and schemes are failing them.
Agree to disagree. They secondary is terrible at tackling, and Cashman and Kamal Martin are overrated. The safety play is abysmal. Not enough size and physicality to compete.

The play calling and scheme is awful as well.

Agree to disagree. They secondary is terrible at tackling, and Cashman and Kamal Martin are overrated. The safety play is abysmal. Not enough size and physicality to compete.

As a sophomore, Cashman was good enough to be the defensive MVP in a game where we shut down Mike Leach's air raid offense.

And all those upperclassmen were 2 star and low 3 star at best, with Blough the only exception as a Rivals 5.7 3 star. Their upper classes 2014-16 ranked 13, 14, and 13 in B1G. Strongly suggesting that coaching up played a role in their success.

And all those upperclassmen were 2 star and low 3 star at best, with Blough the only exception as a Rivals 5.7 3 star. Their upper classes 2014-16 ranked 13, 14, and 13 in B1G. Strongly suggesting that coaching up played a role in their success.

The eternal age vs stars debate. It’s never the coaches.

I don't think anyone is saying Brohm isn't a good coach.
The two programs are apples and oranges right now is my point.

I'm still of the belief Minnesota was going to fall off a cliff regardless of coach.

Just keep eating what you are being fed

The eternal age vs stars debate. It’s never the coaches.

Darrel Hazell must have been an amazing recruiter of diamonds in the rough to presciently recruit a bunch of 2 stars who would fit right into his successor Brohm’s systems years later and beat the $&?!& out of 2nd ranked OSU.

Darrel Hazell must have been an amazing recruiter of diamonds in the rough to presciently recruit a bunch of 2 stars who would fit right into his successor Brohm’s systems years later and beat the $&?!& out of 2nd ranked OSU.

Outliers, I guess.
/s

Purdue’s best playmaker is a freshman. Is that even legal?

Brohm is a great football coach. What the hell is everyone's point on this thread? The U should of hired Brohm? Should have fired Tracy much earlier and hoped Brohm would come here? Didn't happen, Purdue fired their coach much earlier and hired Brohm. So if you say you'd rather have Claeys then say it. I'd rather have Fleck. Let's see how this year plays out and let's see how next year plays out.

I think you're actually both right...

Kill brought his coaching staff to Minnesota. Why didn't Fleck's staff come to Minnesota?

Top Bottom