Leach > Kill; Brohm > Fleck ??

I don't think anyone is saying Brohm isn't a good coach.
The two programs are apples and oranges right now is my point.

I'm still of the belief Minnesota was going to fall off a cliff regardless of coach.

I agree. People are trying to compare two completely different programs and building styles. Brohm brought in JC’s and grad transfers to supplement a veteran team. Fleck didn’t even have a competent QB on the roster. Fleck has said time and time again he won’t sacrifice the future for short gains.

I also believe Brohm is coaching to leave ASAP and Fleck isn’t.

I agree. People are trying to compare two completely different programs and building styles. Brohm brought in JC’s and grad transfers to supplement a veteran team. Fleck didn’t even have a competent QB on the roster. Fleck has said time and time again he won’t sacrifice the future for short gains.

I agree on the coaching to leave ASAP.

He brought in a JUCO QB that is now playing linebacker. He’s brought in other JUCOs that didn’t pan out or are ineligible. Other guys in positions of great need (ie Craighton, KHH, Beck) transferred out despite almost being assured playing time. His recruit QB (Morgan) apparently isn’t good enough to play unless, despite being unable to move at Maryland and overall subpar performances since the injury, ZA is literally on a stretcher and going to the hospital. Perhaps it’s all bad luck thus far, bare shelf, too young, etc etc , but luck tends to favor the prepared mind with a solid plan.

Disagee. There's enough talent and it shows at times. The sets and schemes are failing them.

Anyone who knows where they want to go should be able to demonstrate an ability to move in that direction. Do what can be done with the personnel available = modify desired scheme to allow success for the players on the field.

Yesterday, the defense lacked any clear intent of direction. Stop nothing is not a viable option, and that is what happened far too frequently yesterday.

In the interim, one must be able to function with the talent available.

He brought in a JUCO QB that is now playing linebacker. He’s brought in other JUCOs that didn’t pan out or are ineligible. Other guys in positions of great need (ie Craighton, KHH, Beck) transferred out despite almost being assured playing time. His recruit QB (Morgan) apparently isn’t good enough to play unless, despite being unable to move at Maryland and overall subpar performances since the injury, ZA is literally on a stretcher and going to the hospital. Perhaps it’s all bad luck thus far, bare shelf, too young, etc etc , but luck tends to favor the prepared mind with a solid plan.

Quoting Louis Pastuer on the Gopherhole??!! Are Gopherholer's awesome or what??!

Anyone who knows where they want to go should be able to demonstrate an ability to move in that direction. Do what can be done with the personnel available = modify desired scheme to allow success for the players on the field.

Yesterday, the defense lacked any clear intent of direction. Stop nothing is not a viable option, and that is what happened far too frequently yesterday.

In the interim, one must be able to function with the talent available.

This. Over the career of a long-tenured coach, there will be multiple occasions where your roster doesn't look like you hoped (injuries, transfers, late decommits, guys who don't work out, etc.). A big part of the job is being able to inventory what you have, develop it, find a system that works for what you've got, and implement it. Best example in my memory was the scout team defense that managed to shut down the WSU offense a few years back.

Honestly I think our biggest problem right now is just our DC. We have a semi-competent offense that can score, but you can expect to do well in the big ten when you consistently let 30+ points get s ored against you.

What can the coaches do when Coney Durr can't/won't set the edge on a read/option play? A coach can scream til he's blue in the face, but players still have to step up and get in position to make a play.

I'm not a huge fan of Antonio Shenault's cover skills, or lack therof... but he knows how to set the edge and is a sure tackler.

What can the coaches do when Coney Durr can't/won't set the edge on a read/option play? A coach can scream til he's blue in the face, but players still have to step up and get in position to make a play.

I'm not a huge fan of Antonio Shenault's cover skills, or lack therof... but he knows how to set the edge and is a sure tackler.

I’d try coming up with a scheme that doesn’t require a certain player to do exactly what you know he can’t do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stop making excuses and start making the administration/coaches accountable. The excuses that I have seen over the past 10 years on this board are pathetic. If you don't demand excellence we'll be left with a poo poo platter like this. Also, stop hiring zero substance head coach guys; Brewster should have been a warning. It is like we have a Rasputin influencing the decision makers.

Stop making excuses and start making the administration/coaches accountable. The excuses that I have seen over the past 10 years on this board are pathetic. If you don't demand excellence we'll be left with a poo poo platter like this. Also, stop hiring zero substance head coach guys; Brewster should have been a warning. It is like we have a Rasputin influencing the decision makers.

They paid up for a coach that rebuilt Western Michigan and went 13-1.

I’d try coming up with a scheme that doesn’t require a certain player to do exactly what you know he can’t do.

It’s pretty hard to overcome players that can’t tackle...

It’s pretty hard to overcome players that can’t tackle...

LOL, that is true.
The question was specifically on what they should do if CD16 can’t/won’t set the edge tho.

Who did you want to hire if not Fleck who rebuilt a bad WMU team?

Let's fire coaches Every year until one gets us to rose bowl

Let's fire coaches Every year until one gets us to rose bowl

Not sure anyone is thinking we should fire PJ? If they do, they are crazy.
At the same time, pretending that nothing we have seen this year is concerning is also crazy. IMO, of course.

At the same time, pretending that nothing we have seen this year is concerning is also crazy. IMO, of course.

The guy oversold himself and needs to be held accountable. Everyone on this board would be accountable if we oversold ourselves in the same way in our jobs

The guy oversold himself and needs to be held accountable. Everyone on this board would be accountable if we oversold ourselves in the same way in our jobs

What are you suggesting as the area he oversold himself?

And how do we hold him accountable?

There are definitely some.

Constantly starting over isn't answer. Pj might not be guy, but he needs more time.

Whining for claeys ( who I think is excellent DC, but not great HC) and missing other coaches is annoyed

I'm disappointed with recent performance. I don't like pj sayings. But I believe he's genuine and we'll get there with him..... probably need new dc

Let's keep crappy coaches for 57 years until we get the the Rose Bowl!

Not suggesting that either. But more than 2 season are required for any coach

There are definitely some.

Constantly starting over isn't answer. Pj might not be guy, but he needs more time.

Whining for claeys ( who I think is excellent DC, but not great HC) and missing other coaches is annoyed

I'm disappointed with recent performance. I don't like pj sayings. But I believe he's genuine and we'll get there with him..... probably need new dc

The only chance that we turn things around is to take a chance on someone with prior P5 success (see Leach). Holtz and Mason had that background and were the only ones to get us close to relevance (outside of a few weeks without drama from Kill)

Not suggesting that either. But more than 2 season are required for any coach

that's fine but I'm tired of guys with cheesy mottos who are defensive with their bad staff hires

The only chance that we turn things around is to take a chance on someone with prior P5 success (see Leach). Holtz and Mason had that background and were the only ones to get us close to relevance (outside of a few weeks without drama from Kill)

So you'd pass on brohm, Campbell, etc?

Brohm, no in hindsight, but how would have that been predicted?

MN isn't a destination job, taking chances is something they have to do.

Established coaches certainly aren't coming here if they know win right away or your fired.

But I doubt we'll come agreement.

Top Bottom