After Today I decided to drop

I was in Lincoln. 90,000 out to support an 0-6 team. You do what you want. It's unfortunate in a state our size, we can't get beyond fair weather fans.

Pretty niave comment or you're trolling.

It's ONLY sports show in town down there...and Omaha. Made the trip, great time but for the on field performance. Imagine Madison without without having any pro sports in the state. That's Lincoln.

Anyone who jumps off the Gopher football bandwagon now is being incredibly short-sighted. I have been a fan since 1960 and I believe the future of Gopher football has never looked brighter. Those of us who became fans in the 1960's have had to deal with the at least 30 years of U administrations that didn't recognize the value of intercollegiate athletics, and refused to invest the necessary funds for facilities and coaching staffs to be competitive with our primary Big 10 rivals (Wisconsin and Iowa). Mediocrity and worse was tolerated not only in athletics but also the academic standing and reputation of the U.

That defeatist attitude has changed dramatically during the last 10 to 15 years. Along with all the new sports facilities, the U administration and Board of Regents has demonstrated a willingness to pay competitive salaries for coaching staffs in all of the major sports. The critics will continue to ignore the fact that Fleck was one of the most sought after coaches in Division I football when he was hired at an unprecedented salary for a Gopher coach. The commitment by the administration was there and I continue to believe the hiring of Fleck is going to pay off in the long run. His ability to recruit top notch athletes is going to make it happen. Glen Mason once said that 80% of success in college football is recruiting.

Last edited by Cruze; Today at 06:12 PM.

Last edited:

Pretty niave comment or you're trolling.

It's ONLY sports show in town down there...and Omaha. Made the trip, great time but for the on field performance. Imagine Madison without without having any pro sports in the state. That's Lincoln.

Not only that, but in their fans eyes, the Huskers are not that far removed from national dominance. They still believe they're an elite blue blood program. Minnesota fans have 53 years of ineptitude. The two fanbases could not be more different.

Anyone who jumps off the Gopher football bandwagon now is being incredibly short-sighted. I have been a fan since 1960 and I believe the future has never looked brighter since that time. Those of us who became fans in the 1960's have had to deal with the at least 30 years of U administrations that didn't recognize the value of intercollegiate athletics, and refused to invest the necessary funds for facilities and coaching staffs to be competitive with our primary Big 10 rivals (Wisconsin and Iowa). Mediocrity and worse was tolerated not only in athletics but also the academic standing and reputation of the U, as well.

That defeatist attitude has changed dramatically during the last 10 to 15 years. Along with all the new sports facilities, the U administration and Board of Regents has demonstrated a willingness to pay competitive salaries for coaching staffs in all of the major sports. The critics will continue to ignore the fact that Fleck was one of the most sought after coaches in Division I football when he was hired at an unprecedented salary for a Gopher coach. The commitment by the administration was there and I continue to believe the hiring of Fleck is going to pay off in the long run. Is proven ability to recruit top notch athletes is going to make it happen. Glen Mason once said that 80% of success in college football is recruiting.

LOL; the irony in criticism from "I have been a fan since 1960" is priceless. The bottom line is that the adminstration needs to quit hiring guys with cheesy mottos ("row the boat") as they are basically a derivative of Tim Brewster with no meaningful depth

Everyone will do what they think is best for them. I have travels planned for a lot of 2019 football season. I will sell my 4 tickets and lot 37 parking pass for the 3 big home games. I'm guessing I will make enough of off those three game to watch the other 4 gam s for free. Go Gophers

Anyone who jumps off the Gopher football bandwagon now is being incredibly short-sighted. I have been a fan since 1960 and I believe the future has never looked brighter since that time. Those of us who became fans in the 1960's have had to deal with the at least 30 years of U administrations that didn't recognize the value of intercollegiate athletics, and refused to invest the necessary funds for facilities and coaching staffs to be competitive with our primary Big 10 rivals (Wisconsin and Iowa). Mediocrity and worse was tolerated not only in athletics but also the academic standing and reputation of the U, as well.

That defeatist attitude has changed dramatically during the last 10 to 15 years. Along with all the new sports facilities, the U administration and Board of Regents has demonstrated a willingness to pay competitive salaries for coaching staffs in all of the major sports. The critics will continue to ignore the fact that Fleck was one of the most sought after coaches in Division I football when he was hired at an unprecedented salary for a Gopher coach. The commitment by the administration was there and I continue to believe the hiring of Fleck is going to pay off in the long run. Is proven ability to recruit top notch athletes is going to make it happen. Glen Mason once said that 80% of success in college football is recruiting.

I’m with you Cruze.

Well, "competitive" can be interpreted a lot of different ways.

And that is why these arguments always break out. I guess we see what we want to see. But at the end of the day they aren't rewarding bowl games and conference championships on interpretation. And creative subjective arguments of success don't seem to be persuading people to come watch this team be "competitive". It's gonna have to get better.

Not only that, but in their fans eyes, the Huskers are not that far removed from national dominance. They still believe they're an elite blue blood program. Minnesota fans have 53 years of ineptitude. The two fanbases could not be more different.

The fans I talked with this weekendare pretty realistic as to where the Huskers are right now. Also very complimentary about the talent they saw from Gophs. For what it's worth many wondered why Gophs don't have a better record.

The fans I talked with this weekendare pretty realistic as to where the Huskers are right now. Also very complimentary about the talent they saw from Gophs. For what it's worth many wondered why Gophs don't have a better record.

I'm going to go with the defenses ability to stop anyone in BiG games. I think we could just start and finish with that and it would be enough.

It was interesting to see the difference between Minnesota and Nebraska this week. Nebraska sold out their 90,000-seat stadium when they were 0-6. We couldn't sell out our 50,000-seat stadium when we were 2-0. Being in a big city hurts us but there's more to it than that. Seems like Nebraska fans know there are good things in their future while Minnesota fans know the team will find a way to mess things up. Nebraska also seemed to have a much better gameday experience compared to ours. Maybe it's just that I hear it 7 times a year in Minnesota but it seems like everything has a corporate sponsor at Minnesota and the entertainment for every TV timeout includes bringing someone down to the 20 yard line to wave to the camera with Goldy and Mark Coyle. Food was also significantly cheaper and easier to get.

The athletic department should be embarrassed with how poor attendance is and should focus on changing things. Lower prices, improve the gameday experience, improve rewards for season ticket holders, just do whatever it takes. If I was a recruit who didn't already like Minnesota, I wouldn't want to come here to play in front of empty seats.

Excellent, couldn’t agree more. The only other thing I would add, the people of Nebraska/Lincoln have nothing else to do on Saturday. As such, they would be willing to pay even more to be entertained.

I'm going to go with the defenses ability to stop anyone in BiG games. I think we could just start and finish with that and it would be enough.

That was their point...Gophs should be better based on the talent they saw Saturday.

That's great, but they're not going on 53 years of irrelevance. And if they were I guarantee they wouldn't be selling out a 90k seat stadium.

What did people expect in year two ! Give the guy 2 years of having his own upperclassmen. He is building a foundation ans a culture, that takes time. Damn, people are more patient with Pitino and he has had 5 years at 31-59.

What did people expect in year two ! Give the guy 2 years of having his own upperclassmen. He is building a foundation ans a culture, that takes time. Damn, people are more patient with Pitino and he has had 5 years at 31-59.

I don't know if Pitino's success in year 5 is the best argument for showing patience with coaches.

Anyone who jumps off the Gopher football bandwagon now is being incredibly short-sighted. I have been a fan since 1960 and I believe the future of Gopher football has never looked brighter. Those of us who became fans in the 1960's have had to deal with the at least 30 years of U administrations that didn't recognize the value of intercollegiate athletics, and refused to invest the necessary funds for facilities and coaching staffs to be competitive with our primary Big 10 rivals (Wisconsin and Iowa). Mediocrity and worse was tolerated not only in athletics but also the academic standing and reputation of the U.

That defeatist attitude has changed dramatically during the last 10 to 15 years. Along with all the new sports facilities, the U administration and Board of Regents has demonstrated a willingness to pay competitive salaries for coaching staffs in all of the major sports. The critics will continue to ignore the fact that Fleck was one of the most sought after coaches in Division I football when he was hired at an unprecedented salary for a Gopher coach. The commitment by the administration was there and I continue to believe the hiring of Fleck is going to pay off in the long run. His ability to recruit top notch athletes is going to make it happen. Glen Mason once said that 80% of success in college football is recruiting.

I’m with Cruz. Someday is coming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cruze, endorsing something is an automatic red flag warning to all that is good and decent in this world. [emoji39][emoji41]

I expected the average points allowed by the defense to be less than 40 vs Big 10 teams.

"AHHHH....Juicy Fruit"....."I want my cigarettes now!"

Top Bottom